GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach?

+6
Hayden
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will Pat Quinn become the Sens coach in 09-10?

Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap252%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 52% [ 11 ]
Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap214%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 14% [ 3 ]
Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap25%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap210%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 10% [ 2 ]
Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap210%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 10% [ 2 ]
Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_lcap29%Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Vote_rcap2 9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

When Uncle Eugene Melnyk was buddying up to Pat Quinn before and at the WJC a few months ago, speculation was rampant that 'The Mighty Quinn' was in line to replace Craig Hartsburg as coach of the Senators.

Today, CKAC/Corus Sports in Montreal reports that Pat Quinn may very well be considering the position.

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/pat_quinn_pres_retour-20090106-1353263.html

Former Cup winning coach Pat Burns was interviewed on CKAC today by Stephane Leroux. Burns says he speaks with Quinn frequently, and stated Quinn is not all interested in being a GM again; but that the coaching job in Ottawa--or Pittsburgh, or even Edmonton--could be on Quinn's radar.

http://www.corussports.com/radio/audioplayer.php?file=1353263.mp3&mode=cn&id=1353263&date=20090106

Just talk, or the hint of a return to the NHL for the man who coached Canada's Juniors to a dramatic and highly memorable win?

And could, or should, Ottawa be the place for Pat Quinn to make his coaching comeback in the NHL?

As always, our GM Hockey Forum members should be fired up for this discussion...

2Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Go away old man, we have a young buck here now.

EDIT: I agree with Clouston being a lock - and I agree with MacT getting the door, so I voted for MacT getting the door (although it's not his fault Lowe threw $$ and picks at Fat Penner).

3Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't think anyone's a lock at this point. I picked Hockey Hooey because it's all just talk.

- Unknown Author

4Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

don't know if it is a sure bet, but I for one would support Quinn in Ottawa. As well as Clouston is doing behind the bench, I would love to see an established coach to guide us. I am sure others feel differently, however

5Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:08 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I think Uncle Eugene loves Patty, and that Cory gets handed a sweet deal to be Assistant with an inside track to the Head Honcho job when Quinn retires in 2 years.

6Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:I think Uncle Eugene loves Patty, and that Cory gets handed a sweet deal to be Assistant with an inside track to the Head Honcho job when Quinn retires in 2 years.

Interesting scenario. If that happens then I'm willing to cut Murray some slack due to Eugene "Meddling" Murray.

- Unknown Author

7Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:42 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm guessing Quinn doesn't dig The Metal. The answer is obvious.

8Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:04 pm

I think a move to Quinn would be contrary to what Murray had stated. He indicated he would be giving Clouston a fair shot at remaining as the head coach. Clouston has done nothing to indicate that he does not deserve a shot. Plus I would bet Clouston would cost half or less than it would for Quinn. If it ain't broke don't fix it and the Sens of the last month don't look broke to me....

9Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:10 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:I think a move to Quinn would be contrary to what Murray had stated. He indicated he would be giving Clouston a fair shot at remaining as the head coach. Clouston has done nothing to indicate that he does not deserve a shot. Plus I would bet Clouston would cost half or less than it would for Quinn. If it ain't broke don't fix it and the Sens of the last month don't look broke to me....

Bryan Murray said he'd give Clouston a 'fair shot', but that doesn't mean he'll anoint him as Head Coach for next year.

Clouston himself has said he is in no hurry to skip the steps he feels necessary to build his coaching career. IF Quinn was hired, Clouston could benefit from the chance to be his Assistant...with the inside track to take over later.

That's also more than a 'fair shot'.

Remember what happens to guys who try to move into NHL head coaching jobs too quickly...one just got fired this week.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

10Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

davetherave wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I think a move to Quinn would be contrary to what Murray had stated. He indicated he would be giving Clouston a fair shot at remaining as the head coach. Clouston has done nothing to indicate that he does not deserve a shot. Plus I would bet Clouston would cost half or less than it would for Quinn. If it ain't broke don't fix it and the Sens of the last month don't look broke to me....

Bryan Murray said he'd give Clouston a 'fair shot', but that doesn't mean he'll anoint him as Head Coach for next year.

Clouston himself has said he is in no hurry to skip the steps he feels necessary to build his coaching career. IF Quinn was hired, Clouston could benefit from the chance to be his Assistant...with the inside track to take over later.

That's also more than a 'fair shot'.

Remember what happens to guys who try to move into NHL head coaching jobs too quickly...one just got fired this week.

..one also is doing well in Florida, one is doing well in San Jose, one is doing well right now in Pittsburgh, one is doing well in Ottawa. I think if Clouston has the team play well down the stretch Murray will not hire anyone. Additionally Murray the GM does not have a track record of hiring established coaches.. Wang, Paddock, Hartsburg (although he had some NHL experience his numbers were not good), Clouston...

EDIT: How come B A B C O C K comes out wang?

11Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:58 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:
davetherave wrote: Clouston himself has said he is in no hurry to skip the steps he feels necessary to build his coaching career. IF Quinn was hired, Clouston could benefit from the chance to be his Assistant...with the inside track to take over later.

..one also is doing well in Florida, one is doing well in San Jose, one is doing well right now in Pittsburgh, one is doing well in Ottawa. I think if Clouston has the team play well down the stretch Murray will not hire anyone. Additionally Murray the GM does not have a track record of hiring established coaches.. Wang, Paddock, Hartsburg (although he had some NHL experience his numbers were not good), Clouston...

MOI...with all due respect, you are missing my point. My reference was specifically to Guy Carbonneau.

One could say that Barry Melrose was also guilty of making too quick a move.

I most definitely did not say Clouston wasn't ready. As I mentioned, he himself said he was very conscious of taking all the necessary steps to prepare for a NHL job. He's certainly paid his dues in the WHL and the AHL.

You are by the way, incorrect in citing McLellan in San Jose, and Bylsma in Pittsburgh, as both of them have had career stages as assistants.

Bylsma from Wiki: Prior to the promotion, Bylsma had served as head coach of the Penguins' AHL affiliate Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins. Before joining the Penguins organization in the summer of 2006, Bylsma served as an assistant coach with the AHL’s Cincinnati Mighty Ducks (2004-05) and the NHL’s New York Islanders (2005-06).

In McLellan's case, he had a long career as a minor league coach, starting in 1993, at a variety of levels, and spent three seasons as an assistant with the Wings. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_McLellan

Finally, Peter DeBoer started his coaching career in 1994 with the Detroit Junior Red Wings. More from Wiki:
DeBoer became an assistant coach for the Detroit Junior Red Wings in 1994. After one season he was promoted to the dual position of Head Coach-GM. He showed his coaching prowess winning the Matt Leyden Trophy as OHL Coach of the Year for two consecutive years in 1999 and 2000. The Plymouth Whalers, as they are now called, established them as a consistent OHL force under DeBoer. After the 2000–01 season, DeBoer and his assistant, Steve Spott, left Plymouth and joined the Kitchener Rangers in a position similar to the one they had in Plymouth. It took DeBoer two seasons to lead the Rangers to a Memorial Cup victory, something he was never able to achieve in Plymouth. DeBoer was an assistant coach for gold medal-winning Team Canada in the 2005 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He had been rumoured to be heading for the vacant head coaching position for the Toronto Marlies in 2005, but the job was filled by Paul Maurice. He was named head coach of the Florida Panthers on June 13, 2008.

My point is that there are no shortcuts to becoming a successful NHL coach, and Cory Clouston is well aware of that. If he were offered the position of Assistant to Pat Quinn it would not IMHO impede his progress.

12Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:17 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

MOI--I believe, by the way, we are in agreement that Cory Clouston is well qualified to coach the Senators.
Smile

13Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Bouwmeester + Quinn = 0 Stanley Cups (and no NHL playoffs in how many years?).

Build from within - UFA's and old coaches cost too much.

14Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hayden wrote:Bouwmeester + Quinn = 0 Stanley Cups (and no NHL playoffs in how many years?).

Build from within - UFA's and old coaches cost too much.

Agreed...but Uncle Gene may be hopelessly infatuated with The Mighty Quinn...

15Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Empty Re: Pat Quinn as Sens' Coach? Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

To all the Spezzamaniacs on this site, you all should be begging for Pat Quinn to coach the Senators. Now there is a coach who can light the proverbial fire under Spezza's arse.

No offense, but Spezza has still shown the same inconsistencies, albeit has woken up a bit now that one of his buddies got the plane ticket outa here

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum