GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

It took a while, but finally Havlat gets hurt

+6
davetherave
caissie_1
Cronie
beedub
SensFan71
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

He's a pending UFA.... perhaps we entice him back here, at say, 3-4 million? Is it in the budget? (I'd also like to keep Comrie, so.... I would say not unless someone with big salary is leaving).

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Martin Havlat has had an excellent year so far. His two way play and playmaking--as well as his skill around the net--have been first class. Very exciting player to watch.

Why did Ottawa trade him? scratch

jawal

Rookie
Rookie

davetherave wrote:Martin Havlat has had an excellent year so far. His two way play and playmaking--as well as his skill around the net--have been first class. Very exciting player to watch.

He wanted $6 million a year. There was no way that he could be kept (and everyone else ) under the cap.

He was always injured. I believe that he held out once or twice.(a la Yashin)

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

jawal wrote:
davetherave wrote:Martin Havlat has had an excellent year so far. His two way play and playmaking--as well as his skill around the net--have been first class. Very exciting player to watch.

He wanted $6 million a year. There was no way that he could be kept (and everyone else ) under the cap.

He was always injured. I believe that he held out once or twice.(a la Yashin)

I did a little digging on Havlat and came up with this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Havl%C3%A1t

During the 2006 off-season, Havlát, a restricted free agent, told the Senators that he would only sign a one-year deal so he could then test the free agent market. On July 9th, 2006, Havlát was traded to the Blackhawks with Bryan Smolinski in a 3-way deal, which also involved the San Jose Sharks getting Mark Bell for Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy. After the trade, Havlát signed a 3 year, $18 million contract with the Blackhawks.

---

I didn't get to see him play much when he was a Sen as I was working in the Southeast US during that time; and my impression of him had been, based on what I had read, that he was a talented but selfish player.

I was rather surprised to see him re-emerge this year with the Hawks as a solid team member who competes with intensity every game--and as part of a 'checking line' at that.

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's definitely intriguing, to say the least, in regards to his play of late this season, but the nihilist/pessimist in me naturally has to wonder how long until the Havlat of seasons past rears his ugly head?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:It's definitely intriguing, to say the least, in regards to his play of late this season, but the nihilist/pessimist in me naturally has to wonder how long until the Havlat of seasons past rears his ugly head?

I doubt you will see that Havlat again honestly, these injuries will catch up to him as he gets older, the body just fails you after so long. I believe Havlat's injuries always seem to be the same problem area too.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
Cronie wrote:It's definitely intriguing, to say the least, in regards to his play of late this season, but the nihilist/pessimist in me naturally has to wonder how long until the Havlat of seasons past rears his ugly head?

I doubt you will see that Havlat again honestly, these injuries will catch up to him as he gets older, the body just fails you after so long. I believe Havlat's injuries always seem to be the same problem area too.

Sometimes players mature...this seems to be Havlat's case. Being out for a long period can have the effect of teaching a player a few things about how small the window of opportunity really is.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's the full beard.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:It's the full beard.

is there a study of the effect of a full beard on hockey performance? I would love to see the results lol.

just ask Big Joe, Im sure the beard has only helped him Razz

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Beards help. There has to be someone who's done a statistic LOL.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Beards help. There has to be someone who's done a statistic LOL.

no kidding, well there has to be a reason entire teams grow playoff beards, feel bad for crosby though, he can't get more than 2 hairs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum