GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term

+2
Riprock
PTFlea
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1556289,CST-SPT-hawknt03.article

Apparently both sides are circling an 8-10 year contract extension. No word on how much the contract would be per year, but it's rumoured to be in the 4-5 million dollar bracket.

While this would appear to be a great deal, the biggest question making the rounds would be...were does the money come from to re-sign Toews, Kane and most importantly Duncan Keith.

But...where there's a will there's a way.

We'll see what shakes out of this.

2Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

well, they lose Khabi's contract, unless they re-sign him to a cheaper deal, but they still have Huet's ugly deal.

3Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1556289,CST-SPT-hawknt03.article

Apparently both sides are circling an 8-10 year contract extension. No word on how much the contract would be per year, but it's rumoured to be in the 4-5 million dollar bracket.

While this would appear to be a great deal, the biggest question making the rounds would be...were does the money come from to re-sign Toews, Kane and most importantly Duncan Keith.

But...where there's a will there's a way.

We'll see what shakes out of this.

Heater, thanks for this.

This discussion has been going on for several months now.

From The Chicago Sun Times 'Blackhawks Notebook' May 3:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/1556289,CST-SPT-hawknt03.article

Despite his injury-filled first two seasons with the Hawks, winger Martin Havlat may have considerably extended his stay after this solid season. The Hawks and Havlat's agent are negotiating an eight- to 10-year contract extension.

Havlat and Tallon are reportedly looking for a mutually equitable arrangement as they have both publicly expressed their wish to have Martin continue in Chicago.

Given Scotty Bowman's presence in the Blackhawk brain trust, it's logical to suppose the Hawks are studying a contract model similar to the ones Ken Holland has been using to secure the services of Zetterberg and Franzen.

In principle, this would allow an agreement to be structured that would work within the salary cap parameters.

In terms of 'finding the money' for Toews, Kane and Keith, the first order of business in Chicago has been to build a 'Championship Culture' that makes being a Blackhawk something players want to be, and not just because they are paid to do so.

Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough have made this their priority, and bringing Scotty Bowman into the fold further reinforces that agenda.

As professionals, some players place pride in their team ahead of pure dollars and cents.

Those are the only players you want on your team.

And as anyone who has watched the Blackhawks in the 2009 playoffs so far, this is a TEAM first and foremost.

For those counting BTW, 14 of the 20 skaters are Canadians. Four, in fact, from the Vancouver area.

Dale Tallon has achieved impressive results, especially given the mess he walked into. But there is, obviously, more work to be done.

BTW I know you're dreaming of Duncan Keith in Ottawa...might I suggest that you 'grow your own'?
Wink

Of course that would mean you have to be prepared to endure some unsuccessful seasons first...like Blackhawks supporters have.

No pain...no gain, eh.

As for Dash's quip about 'ugly deals'...they're only ugly when you're losing.

4Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well, two goalies making that much is ugly.... they screwed themselves there, they really did considering they tried to move Khabi and couldn't, and likely nobody would have touched Huet, and now Khabi's the #1, again.

5Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
BTW I know you're dreaming of Duncan Keith in Ottawa...might I suggest that you 'grow your own'?
Wink

Of course that would mean you have to be prepared to endure some unsuccessful seasons first...like Blackhawks supporters have.

No pain...no gain, eh.

Meh, the only way I'd dream about Keith in Ottawa is if Tallon and co. Diddle up and leave themselves vulnerable to outside offers when Keith hits UFA. You can paint it with whatever brush you want, the players coming up are All-World players - all worth upwards of 7 million - more for Keith seeing as how he's become one of the best defenders in the league. All of a sudden having Havlat tied down to a 4.5 X 10 and Campbell and Huet etc. will make things rather difficult.

I doubt they end up re-signing Havlat, there's really no chance for them to go forward with him in the mix.

As for growing our own - I think that's the plan. Wiercioch is going to take some time, but I like him as a good, strong, character defender. Karlsson will hopefully also pan out. We wait with fingers crossed for sure.

6Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 4:44 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Wink

No pain...no gain, eh.

Meh, the only way I'd dream about Keith in Ottawa is if Tallon and co. Diddle up and leave themselves vulnerable to outside offers when Keith hits UFA. You can paint it with whatever brush you want, the players coming up are All-World players - all worth upwards of 7 million - more for Keith seeing as how he's become one of the best defenders in the league. All of a sudden having Havlat tied down to a 4.5 X 10 and Campbell and Huet etc. will make things rather difficult.

I doubt they end up re-signing Havlat, there's really no chance for them to go forward with him in the mix.

As for growing our own - I think that's the plan. Wiercioch is going to take some time, but I like him as a good, strong, character defender. Karlsson will hopefully also pan out. We wait with fingers crossed for sure.

Well, Heater, you'll see when the season's over if Havvy and Tallon shake hands on a deal or not...

...and I know you just love to speculate about other teams and their potential cap issues LOL.

As for draft picks, it's always a crapshoot.

Take Cam Barker. Earlier this season there were fans clamouring to trade him. But he's turned out very well indeed.

Best of luck to you with your guys.
cool)

7Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 5:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like to watch teams and their cap positions for sure. Every time a big contract is signed, there's gonna be sacrifices, there's going to be hard decisions. You have to identify the core players you're going ahead with and sign them for as long as you possibly can - for the least amount of money you possibly can.

No one really knows the recipe for prolonged success in this new cap era. We haven't yet seen Detroit deal with it - although, they've done fairly well in managing their core player - still there will be sacrifices to be made coming up soon. Anaheim had major cap issues when Neidermayer came back, there were sacrifices there as well.

It appears as if each team is allowed 5 core players to hang on to - and these 5 players are probably the cream of the crop, so they're making 5+ million. That's close to half the cap right there - so the onus is on making the correct decisions.

Hence all the discussion regarding Spezza. I understand where people are coming from - if he's kept - he has to be one of the big answers to us winning. If he's not, then you've wasted one of your decisions - and getting another team to take on one of your decisions means that that team has to think that Jason Spezza is one of the core players that they want going forward. Very complicated stuff really. The cap part is easy enough if you have the time and the foresight, the other stuff that accompanies it is why there are GMs who are handsomely paid.

In the case of Chicago, there will be Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook and one more core guy (I assume that'll be Campbell, unless they decide he's not the guy). Then there will be the 2nd tier of players, but if those 5 are making, let's say...6 + 6 + 6 + 3.5 + 7.3, that's 29 million dollars towards a 57 million dollar cap. That leaves 28 million left to fill out the rest of the 15 man roster - and average of 1.9 million dollars per player. But teams like to have 1.5 in wiggle room, so let's say the average for the rest of the 15 man roster would be 1.8.

Now...you tell me if you want the Hawks to sign Havlat to a long term contract. Even if it's a bargain at 4 million long term.

cool)

8Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Heater...a very well thought out elucidation.

I think if Marty and Dale want to do business...they should.

Havlat has become a real TEAM guy and led the Hawks in many ways this year...not just in scoring.

I also think fans get way too wrapped up in doing the math over salary cap.

NHL GMs are pretty smart guys who have incredibly complicated jobs.

Now, it's fun for all of us to yakk about it and offer our opinions, but at the end of the day, their ability to juggle personnel, finance, legal aspects and all the rest of it is something far beyond our capacity.

We can critique GMs for signing players to what WE think are 'inflated salaries', but we never know the whys and the wherefores behind these deals.

And of course, you have the talking heads, and flatulent flakmeisters who pose as sports writers, whipping up the frothy rumours so we can all get ourselves all wound up in turn.

So, I take all of this as being fun discussion. With the great bunch of people on this site.

Including yourself, of course.

Smile

9Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah, it's all for fun unless you're an actual member of a team's management team. End of the day, numbers are numbers and you can start to see what a GM will do in advance, but still, this is just hockey talk for the (mildly) obsessed. Smile

10Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
I think if Marty and Dale want to do business...they should.

Havlat has become a real TEAM guy and led the Hawks in many ways this year...not just in scoring.

Havlat is 28 and a PPG player. BUT, let's say that he wants to stay in Chicago.

Consider that someone would probably pay him 5+ million per year X 5 years. That's 25 million let's say. So Chicago needs to up that number. 5 years from now is 33, still good for another contract, but starting to get a little long in the tooth.

26 million dollars for 7 years of service (3.7 per year). Then, when he hits 35, there are bonus structures that can be added in. If Havlat and Chicago still love each other in 5 years, then both parties will have no real problems signing a similar base contract, with bonuses worked in. Everyone wins.

11Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:47 pm

In Chicago if they can figure out what to do with Campbell they are set.

12Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:In Chicago if they can figure out what to do with Campbell they are set.

Exactly.

13Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Campbell is not dead wieght and can be moved if need be.

14Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:Campbell is not dead wieght and can be moved if need be.

Definitely not dead weight, but a heck of a contract. Again, teams are only allowed to have 5 of these core players. So some team needs to identify Brian Campbell as the guy they want to have in their system for the next 7 years - and have it work within the realm of who they have coming up to sign - and who they've already committed to - and if they have an internal cap.

15Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Empty Re: Havlat and Chicago talking LONG term Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

I dont have much doubt the Hawks can deal Campbell if need be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum