GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this?

+2
rooneypoo
PTFlea
6 posters

Would you ever be able to forgive Mez for this?

POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_lcap245%POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_rcap2 45% [ 5 ]
POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_lcap236%POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_rcap2 36% [ 4 ]
POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_lcap218%POLL: Will you ever be able to forgive Mez for this? Vote_rcap2 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If this doesn't go down and Mez comes to play for the Sens for 3.5 ish, would you forgive him for this BS?

Last edited by 504Heater on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:If this doesn't go down and Mez comes to play for the Sens for 3.5 ish, would you forgive him for this BS?

I think you know my answer to this, but of course I said yes.

I'm not going to hold it against Mesz if it turns out a handful of internet geeks got it wrong with this offer sheet business. I'm not going to hold it against him if his agent is a bit of a jerk and isn't doing due dilligence with the contract talks. I'm not going to hold it against him if he's continuing to negotiate with the Sens because he really wants to sign with us with us all along but is just holding out a bit longer because he thinks he can do a little better than what we're offering at the moment. His desire for decent pay is not mutually exclusive with his desire to play for this team and be a good teammate; it's pretty standard business. Alife did the same thing 3 different times -- holding out as an RFA until training camp, that is -- and he turned out pretty damn nicely.

There's a very good chance, in my mind, that Mesz will be on this team for the mid- to long-term, and that with youth and potential he'll be a key figure on our backend for years. We need to keep all these things in mind before we trash talk him and put on our party hats to celebrate that he's gone.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:If this doesn't go down and Mez comes to play for the Sens for 3.5 ish, would you forgive him for this BS?

I'm not going to hold it against Mesz if it turns out a handful of internet geeks got it wrong with this offer sheet business. I'm not going to hold it against him if his agent is a bit of a jerk and isn't doing due dilligence with the contract talks. I'm not going to hold it against him if he's continuing to negotiate with the Sens because he really wants to sign with us with us all along but is just holding out a bit longer because he thinks he can do a little better than what we're offering at the moment. His desire for decent pay is not mutually exclusive with his desire to play for this team and be a good teammate; it's pretty standard business. Alife did the same thing 3 different times -- holding out as an RFA until training camp, that is -- and he turned out pretty damn nicely.

There's a very good chance, in my mind, that Mesz will be on this team for the mid- to long-term, and that with youth and potential he'll be a key figure on our backend for years. We need to keep all these things in mind before we trash talk him and put on our party hats to celebrate that he's gone.

Good analysis. I said no, I think he's burnt some bridges, because he ain't no superstar, but he's certainly acting like a drama queen prima donna.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Good analysis. I said no, I think he's burnt some bridges, because he ain't no superstar, but he's certainly acting like a drama queen prima donna.

Exactly. It may leave a bitter or sour taste in the mouth of some fans, but as long as he brings it to the ice every game and not a carbon copy of Redden, time will the wounds... Till his NEXT contract negotiation that is... :lol!:

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

This topic has been talked about so much over the past 24 hours, my head hurts just thinking about it, but in the end, its not Mez that I'm upset at, its just not knowing what the frankin' deal is. I just want to know a nice set plan for whats coming in a month, and what we should expect when they hit the ice in october. But i guess we never really can know for sure but with this whole situation dealt with it would just make my head hurt a little less. so i said time will heal wounds lol

take a pay cut like everyone else did :x

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Ya, that's what pissed me off the most about this, is we heard about players on our team taking pay cuts left right and center, just to stay with our organization. So why couldn't he?

Mosky wrote:Ya, that's what pissed me off the most about this, is we heard about players on our team taking pay cuts left right and center, just to stay with our organization. So why couldn't he?
not only left right and center, but defense too 8)

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not mad at him for wanting more money. Look at what other GMs are doing to sign players. Our GM wants quality people that WANT to be here, and we manage to compensate them extremely fairly I feel. Its a win-win for everyone. But I don't hate Meszaros, he's doing what he thinks he needs to do.

PKC wrote:I'm not mad at him for wanting more money. Look at what other GMs are doing to sign players. Our GM wants quality people that WANT to be here, and we manage to compensate them extremely fairly I feel. Its a win-win for everyone. But I don't hate Meszaros, he's doing what he thinks he needs to do.
still selfish

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, of course. We'd already discussed how similar this is to what Alfie did after his rookie contract. Meszaros is 22 and rumoured to not be the sharpest tool in the shed. He's listening to the advice of his agent(s) and we all know where that train goes. Now, Yashin had held out to renegotiate his contract. Completely different situation. Meszaros does not have a contract and wants to get more than what the Sens are offering him. After the disaster that was last year, can you really blame him for *not* wanting to take a discount?

Yeah, yeah I know, he didn't exactly light it up eiher, but this is a 22 year old kid with only three years with Ottawa. This team has lost or shed Chara, Pothier, Preissing, Corvo, Commodore and Redden (who am I missing?) over his playing time here, so I can't see how he could have very much to draw him to remain.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum