GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow! Murray Quote from today's con call.

+13
wprager
Acrobat
Sp00nz
asq2
BigRig
Cap'n Clutch
jamvan
Riprock
PKC
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Urkie
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Wow! Murray Quote from today's con call. Empty Wow! Murray Quote from today's con call. Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Question:
What are we looking at getting: defencemen, forwards, goalies? What sort of cap space do we have to work with.

Murray:
Looking for a top 6 forward. Will make it a priority. Would like to sign a Florida defenceman. Can't mention names (this part I liked lol). Might have to move a big contract for that.
Possibility that the player the Sens take at the draft would be able to play this year. A couple of additions could make a dramatic impact.

UMMMM Me likey!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:Question:
What are we looking at getting: defencemen, forwards, goalies? What sort of cap space do we have to work with.

Murray:
Looking for a top 6 forward. Will make it a priority. Would like to sign a Florida defenceman. Can't mention names (this part I liked lol). Might have to move a big contract for that.
Possibility that the player the Sens take at the draft would be able to play this year. A couple of additions could make a dramatic impact.

UMMMM Me likey!

he must be talking about Brian McCabe, yeah that's it right?

Complete quote from Doc on Sens forum. Interesting read...

Murray:

Leclaire provides future strength and upgrade in net as Elliott has struggled.

Added in the second round pick because of Leclaire's injury.

One of the Sens scouts was a scout for Columbus and he knew the character and the ability of Leclaire.
Hockey people say he could be top 10 in the league.

Leclaire knows a number of the players in Ottawa. He has trained here. Columbus's trainer is from Ottawa.
Was excited about coming to a real hockey market.

Murray wanted to sign Kuba all along but just needed to get the numbers right. Kuba also wanted to stay in Ottawa.

On Chris Neil, Murray wants to keep him. Would like him to stay in Ottawa with the "right contract for him".
One offer was on the table and withdrawn at noon. Will try and come to an agreement before July 1.

Murray feels good about the core of the team.
Feels we will have a better defensive start next year than we did this year.

Alfredsson was excited about adding Pascal Leclaire recognizing the team underachieved this year.

Tim Murray:

Bingo is very competitive.
Matthias Karlsson might come up...they want to see him at the NHL Level. Has played well and deserves a shot.

Gives credit to Cory Clouston for developing the players.

Erik Karlsson is very gifted, great offensive talent, playing well. Needs to get stronger and quicker. Has talent to play at NHL but it's up to him to do the work to get here.

Mlakar:

Understands people are unhappy because Ottawa has set expectations high (11 straight years making the playoffs). Urge those who are undecided about Season Tickets that we have a good group here.

Blowing horn about the "Fans first" initiative.

Jeff Kyle:

Fans First focus over past few months:

1. Freeze prices for season ticket holders
2. Save 2% if you pay in full by June 15th. Full season ticket holders will get 6 free games
3. Added payment plan to be spread over 2 budget periods.
4. Adding events for season tickets holder. get tickets from players. Luncheons with Players/personnel.
5. Megadraw, over 500 prizes for season ticket holders. Road Trip. Autographs, trips, Big Screen TV's.
6. Making changes to airflow in the building.
7. Adding more tim hortons locations.
8. Other changes that have not been finalized yet.

Question from Fan about Brian Elliott:

Where will Elliott end up?

Murray:
Training camp will decide. Believes Brian is a good prospect and has a future in the NHL. Brian will likely start in Binghamton, and then make a decision with a veteran guy.

Question:
Why not tortorella?

Murray:
Feels Clouston is a tough coach. Felt Paddock deserved opportunity to coach, and felt Hartburg was the right guy. Changed to Cory "For whatever reason". Feels we have a good goaltender and a good coach with the ability to communicate. Feels he has that in Clouston. Nothing has been offered to him yet.

Question:

Do we have secondary scoring in the farm or will you get someone else?

Murray:
Major topic of conversation with coaches today. Figures the top guys should rebound. Mike Fisher has to get more points than he did this year.
Agrees this is a project for this summer. Either a center of winger for Fisher could be added.

Question:
Will Elliot be sent down this year?

Tim:
Elliott will stay here. Will get another 20 games with Alex Auld. They feel he's a number 1 goalie.

Question:
Why did Picard not reenter the lineup yet.

Murray:
He sprained his knee. He's on IR for 3 to 4 weeks. Needs to improve play and strength. Injury was a lingering risk.

Question:
Is the team going to try and do anything for people from out of town who have to come a long way to see a game.

Jeff Kyle:
We could have a package for out of town fans.

Question:

Murray:

Baskhirov still in Russia, will contact him.
Pederson, playing in swedish elite league. A long way off...

Question:
How is it that TSN found out before Vermette found out?

Murray:
Upset about it. Told by NHL that they should not be told without the paperwork being done. While waiting on conference call, he looked at the screen in his office and saw the trade was being announced.
Murray will bring this up to the league. Looks like NHL has a direct link to TSN and they shouldn't. It's a conflict...

Question:
Is there a concern about toughness on the blueline?

Murray:
Thinks if all the people are playing the right way, that toughness should not be the issue. Volchenkov, Smith, Phillips should give us enough size.
Need more team toughness. Likes Neil and Smith, guys who compete every night.

Question:
Was there an opportunity to get Backstrom?

Murray:
No opportunity. If he made it to July 1st, then maybe, but there was no opportunity to talk to his agent ahead of time.

Question:
Do we have enough cap space to get someone who is an imposing figure and has skill (powerforward).

Murray:
We like big strong Canadian kids, call it a bias. When you have small forwards, you get pushed around and we have to address it. Objective is to get bigger/stronger.

Question:
Are they looking to keep Comrie on for next year.

Murray:
Comrie is a skilled player. Wants to see that he can contribute offensively, make himself able to play at least a second line role. Need to find out the cost of keeping him here. Won't be made until year is over.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

Interesting for sure.

I still think Murray will make a few changes over the summer obviously. Thinking about the cap situation, Spezza might be in serious trouble. He's the guy that would be dealt if Murray wants to take a run at JBo. I just wonder what the return would possibly be. I'm not in favor of it but at the same time I think the defense is a lot more important then the forwards.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SensFan71 wrote:

Murray:

UMMMM Me likey!

I would take him too! Either one of them is good for me, obviously I'd prefer the obvious guy.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Murray:

UMMMM Me likey!

I would take him too! Either one of them is good for me, obviously I'd prefer the obvious guy.

I think we all would, especially for signing rather than trading, but queue the Leafs jabs if we ever got McCabe, until he started blowing them out of the water.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Thanks a lot for doing this Murder, it's greatly appreciated.

A lot of good info here that I didn't know.

THANK YOU!!! :BB:

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Bye Bye Spezza.

Will have to move a big contract eh... gee, thats shocking. When will it be moved, prob when everyone else thought it would be, the draft.

Spezza lovers, give a final kiss good-bye to the guy, because his time in Ottawa is almost done.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the writing's on the wall for Spezza boys and girls. Spezza to Edmonton would not even surprise me one infinitely small bit.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Guys, get real. So what, he hinted at possibly trying to sign Bouwmeester, but ultimately it comes down to where Jay wants to play, which likely is impacted by many things: money, location, team, etc.

Murray can talk all he wants about what he hopes or plans to do, but unless Bouwmeester signs here, ain't nothing Murray can do. Expect to be disappointed.

Dash wrote:Guys, get real. So what, he hinted at possibly trying to sign Bouwmeester, but ultimately it comes down to where Jay wants to play, which likely is impacted by many things: money, location, team, etc.

Murray can talk all he wants about what he hopes or plans to do, but unless Bouwmeester signs here, ain't nothing Murray can do. Expect to be disappointed.

He becomes a UFA on July 1, Spezza's NTC kicks in the same day, what do you think happens first? A Spezza trade or a pitch for J Bo. Use some common sense here.

You cant make the pitch with Spezza and Heatley here, it is as simple as that.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Guys, get real. So what, he hinted at possibly trying to sign Bouwmeester, but ultimately it comes down to where Jay wants to play, which likely is impacted by many things: money, location, team, etc.

I'm going to be finishing my analysis soon for the free agent guide and that should give you a decent list of teams that can afford Bouwmeester.

PKC wrote:

I'm going to be finishing my analysis soon for the free agent guide and that should give you a decent list of teams that can afford Bouwmeester.

Teams that can afford his and teams that he will go to are 2 different things.

He wants to leave a decent team in Florida because he hates the non-hockey market.

Off the top of my head, right now, there are 3 teams, maybe 4, that can make a serious pitch for him and they are all in Canada. Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Vancouver.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not even discussing Spezza - I'm talking about people assuming and getting ahead of themselves that Bouwmeester to Ottawa is even an option. If you are Jay Bouwmeester, really, is Ottawa your first choice?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum