GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

This topic might scare us.

+2
shabbs
SensFan71
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1This topic might scare us. Empty This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:19 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

I know we all at someday realize the idea of this is coming, and what I am referring to is when Alfie finally decides to retire, who inherits the coveted "C" that was rightfully his from whenever (can't remember the date, always took Alfie for granted as the C) This all comes from last night's game (and if there is any credit to give to the Sens, I only got to watch a partial 1st period, CSI Las Vegas came on), the Sens really are lost without this guy and at some point, we will not have him as our C anymore.

So let's get to the question already, I can hear it from Cronie as I am typing this lol. Who do you see as successor to Alfie for the C? Also, as a twist, who do you definitely not want as Captain of this team post-Alfie?

We will have to come terms with this within the next 5 years. I shall get the ball rolling, for successor, as this depends on a lot, but mostly if he is actually a vocal type player, meaning he can command the dressing room and doesn't mind putting a player in his place. My choice would be Foligno, he leads by example, works hard night in and night out. As for who not to be captain, I have two answers right away, Spezza and Heatley, I don't want them as leaders for this team, they are skilled yes, leaders no.

2This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:25 am

Phillips, until Chris retires. When both Phillips and Alfie are retired, then I give it to Volchenkov.

3This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Phillips, until Chris retires. When both Phillips and Alfie are retired, then I give it to Volchenkov.

I was definitely thinking Volchenkov too, but well, and this is not a knock to A-Train, but how's his english? It might be hard to run a room if some guys are having a hard time understanding, mind you, some of the best captains might not even have to say a thing to get their point across.

4This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:01 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I remember us having a long thread about this a while ago...

5This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Volchenkov strikes me as the silent, leads-by-example type. That's not going to inspire the forwards much and, besides, I think the Sens should be looking for someone not afraid to open his mouth and do some talking. Right now, for me, that's Phillips.

Longer-term, I'd definitely stay away from Heatley -- he's too introverted and seems moody. I still have hope that Spezza will develop the work ethic required of a captain; I think he already has pretty much everything else (top player, outgoing and friendly, but not afraid to say it like it is). He's been working on his giggles.

Other than that, and we're looking 4-5 yeasr down the road, I really don't see anyone on this team. Are any of our prospects captains?

6This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I truly believe our future captain is someone who is not yet a Senator

7This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 am

beedub wrote:I truly believe our future captain is someone who is not yet a Senator

I think I tend to agree with you. Karlsson looks to have a bigger than life personality. If he turns out to be the player we are hoping, maybe he is in his prime when Alfie hangs 'em up? 'C' potential?

One way or the other it is probably silly for me to even mention a name but I would agree that the guy is probably not on the roster given Alfie has 4 years left at least. The landscape in Ottawa will be very different by then...

8This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:58 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

oh boy, with talk of Alfie being out for as long as a month, I suppose this topic is inevitable.

I'b be all for either Big Rig or A-Train being adorned with the "C". But I do agree with Beedub that perhaps our next captain has yet to be welcomed into the Sens fold.

9This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:oh boy, with talk of Alfie being out for as long as a month, I suppose this topic is inevitable.

I'b be all for either Big Rig or A-Train being adorned with the "C". But I do agree with Beedub that perhaps our next captain has yet to be welcomed into the Sens fold.

well let's change the spectrum a bit, and this will take a bit more digging on our part, either looking pending UFA's or thinking VIA trade, who's the most attractive player out there that would fill the captain void? so let's use 2012/13 as a benchmark as that is 4 years away, right around when Alfie should be done, according to nhlnumbers.com, and judging by character of a player, the best captain option out there is (and this is my opinion) well, damn I was going to say Mike Richards, but his deal is extended beyond 2012/13, unless we trade for him, am a huge fan of Richards and think he is one of the best captains in the NHL right now.

10This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ummm... interesting SF.
I don't see the Sens acquiring Richards to be honest, but that's just me.

Assuming Murray is the GM, he usually likes to promote from within, so depending on who comes up or steps-up, that is, we could see someone fill in quite quickly.

11This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Jeff Carter

12This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

allow me to elaborate a little. Jeff Carter, who will come to Ott via the Spezza trade

13This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think Bobby Clarke is a big Spezza fan. Although he's nothte GM anymore, so ...

14This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

that would definitely something to ponder, carter in a ottawa jersey, which would absolutely torment Toronto fans as I heard (not sure the truth), but Carter would have been a maple leaf if Kaberle waived his NTC last year. anyone heard that same thing?

15This topic might scare us. Empty Re: This topic might scare us. Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I heard exactly the same thing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum