GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discuss any This Just In topic here

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:50 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Fire away here for now until we look into the 'This Just In' area - and comments on topics etc.

So...

1.McCabe Update...deal with Panthers could be off.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16530

2.V.Vishnevski has been waived by the Devils according to TSN:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1636

3.Spezza to play with Thornton, Avery and others

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247161&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

4.Team 1040 speculates Gomez trade.

There's a lot of speculation going on right now surrounding the New York Rangers, Mats Sundin, Scott Gomez and the Vancouver Canucks. Pretty much in that order.

The Team 1040 was speculating last night that the Sundin rumours have a lot of legs. They seemed to think that this was something that would probably go down. One of their announcers, Black Price, suggested that if/when the Rangers signed Sundin, Scott Gomez would be on his way out - to the Vancouver Canucks.

"One of the 7 big contracts would have to be moved, no matter what Sundin signs for."

Drury has the intagibles that the Rangers love, Rozsival just re-signed, no do-overs on Ringo (read: no one will take him), pretty much ditto for Naslund. So that leaves Lundqvist, Gomez and Drury.

The two places that Scott Gomez always spoke highly about were Ottawa and Vancouver. Ottawa's out of this one completely, so it's back to Vancouver, where he apparently has a lot of friends and family - not to mention being closer to his birthplace, Alaska.

No clues as to whom the Canucks would send back, but stay tuned on this one. Rangers fans won't be happy this this, but Canucks fans will be thrilled.

2Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:15 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Gomez doesn't have a NTC, does he? Going on the assumption that he does not, why would the Rangers move him to Vancouver? What could they possibly get back in return from a club so desperate that they offered a 38 player $20M?

While I agree with their fairly logical conclusion of who would be moved, I am skeptical about where and even whether.

As to Sundin's wishes, his best chance at Stanley was to sign with team-Sweden (Wings); his best paycheck would have been Vancouver. What could possibly motivate him to come to the Big Apple?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see New York's chances very good, not even if they added Sundin without losing Gomez. If I could be convinced that they are serious contenders then I suppose I could see Mats wanting to go there. I just don't.

3Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, any quick and dirty (or clean) way to add a link to this topic in the "This Just In" board? I assume changing the "Reply" or "Quote" links to redirect here would require significant changes -- one suggestion is to add a link to your sig, like you've done with your blog.

4Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:47 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

1. On McCabe: Spector is reporting that Zednik might be going along with Van Ryn to TO.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:the-latest-on-vishnevski-zednik-and-tanabe&catid=34:articles&Itemid=55

I think that's precisely the combo I mentioned in a post on this site a few weeks ago... It's a deal that certainly makes sense to my mind: TO gets McCabe's big stupid contract off their hands and trade it for a little less money tied up shorter term, and FLA gets rid of unwanted pieces in return for a PPQB they may very well need to a) convince J-Bo they're serious about improving, or b) serve as a replacement once J-Bo is gone.

2. On Vishnevski: Spector is also reporting that this is either a salary dump OR a prelude to a trade for a PMD like Schneider. The latter idea certainly makes sense, as NJ could really, really use help on the back end. See link above.

4. For what it's worth, Eklund has this Sundin to NYR, Gomez to VAN deal listed as an e4:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16541.

Personally, I think it would be a very stupid move on NY's part to trade off a #1 centre signed long term for 1 or 2 years of Sundin, especially since I don't think they are that close to challenging for a cup, but who knows what they are thinking.

Gomez does have a NTC -- http://nhlscap.com/no_trade.htm -- but it's very limited: once a year, he submits a list of 3 teams that he will not go to. Otherwise, it would appear that NY is free to move him when and where they want.

As to what VAN would send back in exchange for a signed Gomez, it would obviously depend on how much Sundin were to sign for. If he were to sign for Gomez money, then NYR would probably have to have little salary coming back in a deal; maybe something like their top D prospect, Edler, and a first. If Sundin were to sign for a little less than Gomez money, than perhaps NYR would be able to bring a little salary back in a trade -- say, someone like Kesler, a prospect other than Edler, and a first. I'm just thinking out loud on these guesses, tho'.

5Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Gomez doesn't have a NTC, does he? Going on the assumption that he does not, why would the Rangers move him to Vancouver? What could they possibly get back in return from a club so desperate that they offered a 38 player $20M?

While I agree with their fairly logical conclusion of who would be moved, I am skeptical about where and even whether.

As to Sundin's wishes, his best chance at Stanley was to sign with team-Sweden (Wings); his best paycheck would have been Vancouver. What could possibly motivate him to come to the Big Apple?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see New York's chances very good, not even if they added Sundin without losing Gomez. If I could be convinced that they are serious contenders then I suppose I could see Mats wanting to go there. I just don't.

Gomez has a weird NTC, I think he can chose any 3 teams he would accept a trade to at the end of any given year. I've heard Vancouver is on that list. Such a strange situation though. Gomez apparently was the one bright spot offensively for the Rangers last year.

6Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:By the way, any quick and dirty (or clean) way to add a link to this topic in the "This Just In" board? I assume changing the "Reply" or "Quote" links to redirect here would require significant changes -- one suggestion is to add a link to your sig, like you've done with your blog.

A link in the This Just In. I can do that to direct people here until we've mended it.

7Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:30 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

Gomez has a weird NTC, I think he can chose any 3 teams he would accept a trade to at the end of any given year. I've heard Vancouver is on that list. Such a strange situation though. Gomez apparently was the one bright spot offensively for the Rangers last year.

Err... see my post above on the status of Gomez's NTC. It's actually very limited and unlikely to hinder NY from moving him.

8Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I just noticed that. There you go, if the Rangers feel that's what they want to do, I guess they'll have no problems doing it.

9Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:32 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Problem is, who are they going to find to take that ridiculous contract he's on, and what kind of offer can they optimistically expect in return?

10Discuss any This Just In topic here Empty Re: Discuss any This Just In topic here Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Problem is, who are they going to find to take that ridiculous contract he's on, and what kind of offer can they optimistically expect in return?

VAN is positively desparate for offence and I don't blame them, so I imagine that they would be very interested in acquiring Gomez should he become available.

What would NYR want in return? I wrote on this above, but it would obviously depend on how much Sundin were to sign for. If he were to sign for $7+ mil, then NYR would probably have to have little to no salary coming back in a deal; maybe something like their top D prospect, Edler, and a first. If Sundin were to sign for a little less, then perhaps NYR would be able to bring a little salary back in a trade -- say, someone like Kesler, a prospect other than Edler, and a first. I imagine that these would be the sorts of things that VAN would have to be willing to give up, anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum