GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Cherepanov's death scare others away from Russia?

+2
smash88
Riprock
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Cherepanov's death is a tragedy. At 19, with the world at his feet, he collapsed on the bench during a game and was later pronounced dead of cardiac arrest. For those who haven't seen any video, watch this: Below is my take on the question I posed in the subject header...

Now. It took 15-20 minutes to get him to the hospital, because the ambulance was not at the arena. It is also unclear whether there was a defibrillator on hand. My question here is how will this affect this "super" league (I use the term super as loosely as is humanly possible) affect future player signings? If I am a player, I'm thinking twice about this league. Where is the medical staff? Who is that carrying him off the bench? Thoughts?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think so. It was a pretty obscure incident. Very tragic nonetheless, but fairly uncommon. His underlying health issue was a factor in it, and yes so was the response from emergency personnel. Probably would have been alive if he received proper medical attention immediately.

But I don't think this will affect player from playing in Russia. The depth of the NHL and ever changing game, as well as the lure of money will always play a part in that.

If the NHL were to expand, we might see more players staying in NA in the NHL since there'd be more jobs.

However, I think you'll see severe measures taken from now on to make sure these incidents never happen. I have a feeling there will be civil action taken.

At every OHL game I've worked at, I have seen two EMT's in attendance for the duration of the game, standing-by within an ear shot of the game.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock34 wrote:Cherepanov's death is a tragedy. At 19, with the world at his feet, he collapsed on the bench during a game and was later pronounced dead of cardiac arrest. For those who haven't seen any video, watch this: Below is my take on the question I posed in the subject header...

Now. It took 15-20 minutes to get him to the hospital, because the ambulance was not at the arena. It is also unclear whether there was a defibrillator on hand. My question here is how will this affect this "super" league (I use the term super as loosely as is humanly possible) affect future player signings? If I am a player, I'm thinking twice about this league. Where is the medical staff? Who is that carrying him off the bench? Thoughts?

Yep, I think you will see quite a few players turning down their offers... I don't think we have to fear losing the marquee players in the NHL, they would never leave, they have it to good... especially the guys who come from North America, it will take alot for them to go over to Russia, I really don't see the KHL as that big of a problem for stealing players, and I do think now it will be even more scrutinized because of this incident...

DashRiprock wrote:I don't think so. It was a pretty obscure incident. Very tragic nonetheless, but fairly uncommon. His underlying health issue was a factor in it, and yes so was the response from emergency personnel. Probably would have been alive if he received proper medical attention immediately.

But I don't think this will affect player from playing in Russia. The depth of the NHL and ever changing game, as well as the lure of money will always play a part in that.

If the NHL were to expand, we might see more players staying in NA in the NHL since there'd be more jobs.

However, I think you'll see severe measures taken from now on to make sure these incidents never happen. I have a feeling there will be civil action taken.

At every OHL game I've worked at, I have seen two EMT's in attendance for the duration of the game, standing-by within an ear shot of the game.

You are probably right about civil action.

You sort of back up my point with your point about the OHL games. Did you see an EMT in that video? I didn't. When the training staff and players having to get him off the bench there's a problem. Sure there's going to be changes, but will they be enough?

Expansion? Yuck. I'm for contraction. If not that, then move some of these struggling teams to stonger markets. The NHL has no business expanding anywhere (particularly the US) until it stabilized what it's got already.

smash88 wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:Cherepanov's death is a tragedy. At 19, with the world at his feet, he collapsed on the bench during a game and was later pronounced dead of cardiac arrest. For those who haven't seen any video, watch this: Below is my take on the question I posed in the subject header...

Yep, I think you will see quite a few players turning down their offers... I don't think we have to fear losing the marquee players in the NHL, they would never leave, they have it to good... especially the guys who come from North America, it will take alot for them to go over to Russia, I really don't see the KHL as that big of a problem for stealing players, and I do think now it will be even more scrutinized because of this incident...

That's sort of my thinking. Is it just me or does that arena look like it rivals most midget rinks in Canada? It certainly doesn't look from the limited view like a NHL worthy stadium. Sounds like $$$ may be the only selling point this league has.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wow! 15-20 mins?!?! Even if they managed to revive him after 5 or so mins, he surely would have been a vegatable, having his brain oxygen starved for so long...

I cannot say for sure whether other players will look at that or not before putting their John Henry's on their respective contracts, but I sure as hell would. If the Malarchuk, Zednick's, or Bergeron or Foster, (the list can go on and on) haven't taught us anything is that proper medical personal and equipment is not only prudent, but should be mandatory in ANY sporting facility and event. I have to agree that I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of civil action brought against the arena and/or KHL.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The first thing I thought when I saw that video on youtube was "Why are they carrying him like that?", "Don't they have stretchers or doctors or trainers with first aid training?", and "Why don't they have any medical staff on hand at all it seems?"

The whole thing is bizarre. I don't see any of the major star players in the NHL leaving for Russia. None of the Iginlas, Luongos, Heatleys or Crosbys will ever play in the KHL. But still, these guys that do go and play there are still human beings, and seeing that response for an emergency is just sickening.

How about this for a question:

If that was how they helped Cherepanov when his heart stopped, how would they have helped Zednik last year if he was cut his throat on someone's skate? Would he have waited 15-20 minutes to get to the hospital? Would they have picked him up off the ice like they were hurling a dead body onto a gurney?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The main thing to remember is that this happened on the bench and everyone was in shock. There were too many people around, obviously concerned for Cherepanov, but someone needed to facilitate control over the situation. Only people that could help him should have been around. Everyone should have cleared the bench.

There were likely team doctors present, but they cannot do more than sutures and minor things. That's where the EMT's come in, for the fractures and internal injuries like this. The fact that they were not there is a huge problem.

Not to get off topic, my comment about expansion related to why so many players leave NA for Europe - not enough room for 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. With so many young players taking spots away from veteran players, and the ever changing style of the game, so many players near ends of their careers who still want to play have little choice.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:The first thing I thought when I saw that video on youtube was "Why are they carrying him like that?", "Don't they have stretchers or doctors or trainers with first aid training?", and "Why don't they have any medical staff on hand at all it seems?"

The whole thing is bizarre. I don't see any of the major star players in the NHL leaving for Russia. None of the Iginlas, Luongos, Heatleys or Crosbys will ever play in the KHL. But still, these guys that do go and play there are still human beings, and seeing that response for an emergency is just sickening.

How about this for a question:

If that was how they helped Cherepanov when his heart stopped, how would they have helped Zednik last year if he was cut his throat on someone's skate? Would he have waited 15-20 minutes to get to the hospital? Would they have picked him up off the ice like they were hurling a dead body onto a gurney?

Yeah I think there are a few questions that need to be answered... It's a little too weird... Heck, here in Junior A they have medical staff on site, so not only Major Junior, but a level under that too... Over in Russia, the pros have no medical staff on-site? But then again if you look at the arena, how many people can they fit in there? If they are paying guys millions, how are they making money?? I guess they need to cut corners somewhere...

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, you don't cut corners by not providing one of the most essential human needs. You cut corners by maybe passing up on printing programs for everyone, or cutting back on the entertainment, etc...You don't cut corners by removing medical staff.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:Yeah, you don't cut corners by not providing one of the most essential human needs. You cut corners by maybe passing up on printing programs for everyone, or cutting back on the entertainment, etc...You don't cut corners by removing medical staff.

yep, but they had to see it coming... Is it going to change overnight? I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of another major incident over there... Greed is powerful... There is just way too much money flowing through that league for the revenues they are getting...

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Those Russian owners don't give a Dung about money. Look at Roman Abrahamovic (owner of Chelsea FC), he just went out and bought up all the players he could possibly get. Even before that, when the Russian crime syndicates were collaborating with national political figures to take control of regions for oil and trade route purposes, creating billionaires overnight out of everyone involved. They were spending money recklessly on lavish lifestyles and exorbitant houses and mansions. All those years of poverty, and they started falling face first into more money than they knew what to do with.

But this is way off topic anyways. I doubt they really give a Dung about cutting corners. They have more than enough money to fund something like this and accept the millions in losses they get if they feel that in say 10 years from now they will be competitive with the NHL.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

Yeah still too many details missing... Obviously something was wrong... There was no medical staff at the arena at the time of the incident... But as you say, they should be hired to stay for the entire game...

smash88 wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

Yeah still too many details missing... Obviously something was wrong... There was no medical staff at the arena at the time of the incident... But as you say, they should be hired to stay for the entire game...

It's very possible the ambulance left to take someone else. Perhaps a fan collapsed. Who knows? I just heard on the radio that the league is pointing the finger at the ambulance crew for not being there (or not getting there quick enough) and also for not having a defibrillator. Shouldn't they have one on the bench anyway?

Sorry, but I don't buy the rich owners wouldn't cut corners cause they are rich argument. It sure looks like they did, and now with this happening, they'll have to take the necessary precautions. If they didn't really care about the money, why weren't the proper steps/equipment in place? This whole thing is just so odd.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum