GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith?

+12
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
davetherave
Vandelay
Mojo
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Acrobat
wprager
Jordo
asq2
sennies1980
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I think there's an outside chance of E. Karlsson making it next year. Why not? Lee made it last year and was pretty good in his 10 games, and Karlsson has been playing in the SEL against men. The third pairing minutes was suggested so that he could observe and learn as well. Maybe even be a healthy scratch every few games.

Anyhow, my answer is what my answer is. I have not lost faith. A little frustrated with a few players, perhaps, and Murray is hanging on by a thread.

17Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 am

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

asq2 wrote:I'm not, but I have friends in Montreal who were bandwaggoners who have moved on to other teams.

This team has been pretty hard to cheer for, because they not only lose frequently, but until recently have been pretty boring while doing it.

I'm going to keep watching and cheering because I want them to know that the fan-base supports a re-build. My fear is to wake up one morning and find pieces of the future like our first rounder for this year and Erik Karlsson moved for older players in an effort to return to playoff contention next season.
Good post.  That's what drives me nuts.  The difference between the sens and the leafs this year is that the leafs aren't feeling sorry for themselves.  They're games are actually fun to watch.  Its the first time in a really long time that I can respect what the toronto organization is doing.  I just hope that we follow suit.  I have a feeling (and hope) that we are a similar team to them next year, with more talent.  I really hope the young guns get their shot next year.  As was stated, you're not really a fan if you jump ship in times like these.  The playoffs always drove me nuts...all of a sudden every car in ottawa has a sens flag, demonstrating their support.  Ottawa police should have the right to give out tickets for cars with sens flags and drivers that can't name 5 players on the roster.

18Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

The question 'Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith?' can be interpreted in different ways depending on how one defines 'fan', 'fan base', and 'faith'.

For those who are completely committed to their team, maintaining their enthusiasm during the ups and downs of the Senators is only re-inforced by adversity.

There are also those who continue to profess their 'faith' in the team, believing that their positive outlook has an impact on the performance of these professionals. Reciprocally, hockey players will often say that fan support helps to stoke their enthusiasm.

Finally, there are those who are influenced by the excitement a sports team generates, who will follow along as their local club experiences success.

Just as winning has a cumulative effect of mass euphoria, losing has the equal and opposite effect upon the majority.

From a consumer perspective, the word 'faith' is replaced by 'trust' when it comes to purchases motivated by enthusiasm for that sports team. If fans that trust their team is competing, they feel justified in declaring that trust by buying tickets and merchandise.

So the question might be more properly formulated, "Are Ottawa hockey fans losing their trust of the Senators?"

In terms of the current malaise, hardcore Sens fans (such as the ones who lead this excellent forum) might do well to step back and realize that what is happening now is an inevitable and necessary part of the historical evolution of every NHL team.

There is not a single NHL team that has NOT gone through its period of struggle. Pro sports being, for the most part cyclical, championship teams rarely escape the so-called 'fall from grace'.

Can fans be blamed for faltering in their allegiance? IMHO the core of fandom precludes the debate. Hardcore fans demonstrate by their leadership that supporting 'their' team (insofar as any fan can assume a sense of ownership about a commercial enterprise) is a good and, often noble, thing.

Sports franchises that understand and respond to the value that their fans provide--and not just the revenue they generate--commit to consistent and incremental excellence.

Professional sports are unique in that fans make not only a financial investment but a considerable emotional investment. The communal experience is exceptional. But it is also exceptional to be able to step back and understand that one's enthusiasm is a matter of personal choice, while respecting the choices of those who do not share our own.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

19Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will always be a Sens fan, through and through, no matter what.
While the team was hard to watch at times under Hartsburg, I still stood by and behind them and now with Clouston slowly removing all the stiffling of Hartsburg's system, that 'light at the end of the tunnel' Heater referred to suddenly seems just a little bit brighter. Time will tell, but this team doesn NOT, IMHO, need to be blown to smithereens; thus a small re-build may be in order at best.

To discuss what Asq2 brought up, if I even hear a RUMOR of E. Karlsson or any other promising young guy being moved for an older player to help us squeak into the playoffs, I'll FREAK!! For what it's worth, whether Murray guides this team for all of next season or not, he would NEVER move Karlsson, this I know for a fact!

As long as people realize that there's no way to appease ALL of the fickle ottawa fans, we will see fluctuations of praise and support as we always have over the last decade or so; but so long as the ardent, loyal and passionate Sens fans don't lose faith, this team and it's roots will be solid for years to come.

20Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

None of "Murray's guys" will get dealt. Guys like Zubov, Lee and even Foligno are more likely to go than Karlsson. Well, not just more likely, Karlsson is untouchable IMO. I think the fanbase are waiting for the deadline to see if their faith remains intact.

21Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:23 am

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Losing faith in what making the playoffs? Of course, I don't think anyone has any delusions that we are making the playoffs this year.

I have been a fan of the Sens since day one...I ain't going anywhere!

22Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I understand what Dave and Sennies are saying though. Obviously guys like us aren't going to turn our back on the team and cheer for the Habs or whatever, but what about the more casual fan? The fan that is interested in being entertained etc., but isn't following the team's every move?

As someone mentioned, this has been some Dung kicking boring hockey this year.

23Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will not stop cheering and supporting the team but I am losing faith that this team can be constructed in such a way as to win a Cup.

- Unknown Author

24Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:31 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

Hey great responses guys. Thanks for positive feedback on my first real topic.

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

25Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

No way José. I have not lost faith in our team. Annoyed Yes, Faith lost for the future, no.

26Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

♪♫Right now we got to
Keep the faith
Keep the faith
Keep the faith
Lord we got to keep the faith♫♪

:D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]