GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith?

+12
SeawaySensFan
Cronie
davetherave
Vandelay
Mojo
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Acrobat
wprager
Jordo
asq2
sennies1980
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

This is a serious question. As some of you know I am a die hard Senators fan living on the west coast and have a hard time getting a real feel for what's happening in Ottawa.

Other than what I get from the hardcore blogs, its difficult to see whether or not the team has a solid enough fan base to move forward after all the garbage that has gone down since last year.

From what I have been reading on other boards and this one included I have been seeing some seriously ludicrous suggestions surfacing as to what to do with our beloved team.
It would appear that even the most "hockey intelligent" posters and bloggers alike are becoming void of reason and sensibility.

Am I way off or is there and truth to this?

Please Discuss:

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

2Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not, but I have friends in Montreal who were bandwaggoners who have moved on to other teams.

This team has been pretty hard to cheer for, because they not only lose frequently, but until recently have been pretty boring while doing it.

I'm going to keep watching and cheering because I want them to know that the fan-base supports a re-build. My fear is to wake up one morning and find pieces of the future like our first rounder for this year and Erik Karlsson moved for older players in an effort to return to playoff contention next season.

3Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Asq2 makes some good points. This team isn't bad- you notice we don't get blown out in any games. Our biggest flaw has been scoring. This is a result of Hartsburg's defense-oriented system. It was horribly boring hockey to watch, and with our lack of PMD, it was just plain brutal...

Back to your point about the fanbase... it's really hard to tell. I think things were becoming very bleak before Clouston came in and we won a couple games and started to show some promise. I think (hope) that the good fans in Ottawa can see and understand that this team doesn't require monumental change to be back to a contender again. A few tweaks here and there, strengthen our defense, and we'll be fine.

Unfortunately for our team, this city seems to be extremely fickle with their sports teams... which leads me to believe that if things don't shape up, alot of fans will ship out..

4Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think we should have too many problems reaching the playoffs next year. Even this year, I think we won't miss by all that much. Maybe 10 points out of a playoff spot. You don't think we could have made up the 10 points if we had Elliott instead of Gerber? This season is a bit of an abberation in that *everyone* cooled off at the same time: Heatley, Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Vermette, Kelly, Neil, McAmmond. Even bright spots like Foligno were not all that bright until the last few games.

And why does everyone think that E. Karlsson won't make it for a year or two? You don't think Hedman will be given ice time somewhere? Let's not forget that Karlsson was the star of the show a month ago. He may not be playing 25 minutes a night, but why not give him 3rd pairing ice time? And if all M. Karlsson is missing is foot speed, some extra summer conditioning could do wonders. The only one I really don't expect to see up here is Wiercioch, since he needs to put on about 25-30 lbs *at least* and you can't do that in one summer without seriously affcting your timing (and foot speed).

I see the youth movement taking over next year with the likes of Foligno, Winchester, Regin, Bass, Shannon, Lee, Karlsson(x2) and Zubov pushing payers like McAmmond, Donovan, Neil, Kelly, Phillips, Smith, Vermette to either perform or move aside.

I'm quite optimistic about next year, and I'm looking for ward to more super-saver deals on tickets. Haven't taken my six-year-old girls to a game yet, the Future Fan promo (or whatever they call it) would be just perfect for them.

5Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:24 pm

I can't lose faith, I'm a New Orleans Saints fan Razz

6Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:I'm not, but I have friends in Montreal who were bandwaggoners who have moved on to other teams.

This team has been pretty hard to cheer for, because they not only lose frequently, but until recently have been pretty boring while doing it.

I'm going to keep watching and cheering because I want them to know that the fan-base supports a re-build. My fear is to wake up one morning and find pieces of the future like our first rounder for this year and Erik Karlsson moved for older players in an effort to return to playoff contention next season.

If this happens (or anything of a similar effort), then they've lost me.
Until then, I remain a Senators fan. Perhaps not a fan of the way they are playing, but a Senators fan, nonetheless.

7Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Tukker wrote:I can't lose faith, I'm a New Orleans Saints fan Razz

Then you know pain.

8Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://tv.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?contentid=714172860417

NOT GOING ANYWHERE :afro:

9Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No way for me. There's always a light at the end of a tunnel. We have some nice prospects for once - and a pretty solid team sans puck movers.

I said in another thread that if you can't stand by your team during the down times, you have no business being around during the good times.

10Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Ive lost faith in some players, but I'll always be a Sens fan.

11Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I have to admit from all of this downturn I have noticed how fickle many Sens fans are. I have stayed out of many discussions on this site over the past few weeks especially because people are changing their allegiances to different players by the week. I always thought Sens fans might be different from other teams' fans (ie. Toronto) but now I see were all the same. Sens fans have just never really had to experience such a terrible product in so long. I don't applaud and cheer for the mediocrity, but I damn sure stand by them and await better days.

12Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:
And why does everyone think that E. Karlsson won't make it for a year or two? You don't think Hedman will be given ice time somewhere? Let's not forget that Karlsson was the star of the show a month ago. He may not be playing 25 minutes a night, but why not give him 3rd pairing ice time? And if all M. Karlsson is missing is foot speed, some extra summer conditioning could do wonders. The only one I really don't expect to see up here is Wiercioch, since he needs to put on about 25-30 lbs *at least* and you can't do that in one summer without seriously affcting your timing (and foot speed).

Sure he was great playing at the WJC, but that doesn't mean he can be a dominant player in the NHL next year, but he certainly could be in the AHL. Why on earth would you want to hamper our best prospect by giving him 3rd line minutes in the NHL (maybe 12 mins a game) rather than let him play a season or two in the AHL as a top defenceman (22-25 mins per game)?

As for the other Karlsson, Ifrom what I have read, he is father away than a summer skating conditioning session. If that's all it would take, Murray would sign him up and write the check. In fact, from the way I understood things, he might not ever make it up permanently. He might be one of those great AHL players whose success never translates to the NHL (like Hamel).

I personally wouldn't count on either being up her next year. Karlsson has an outside chance, but it will likely serve him better to adapt to the NA game in the AHL.

13Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think there's an outside chance of E. Karlsson making it next year. Why not? Lee made it last year and was pretty good in his 10 games, and Karlsson has been playing in the SEL against men. The third pairing minutes was suggested so that he could observe and learn as well. Maybe even be a healthy scratch every few games.

Anyhow, my answer is what my answer is. I have not lost faith. A little frustrated with a few players, perhaps, and Murray is hanging on by a thread.

14Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

asq2 wrote:I'm not, but I have friends in Montreal who were bandwaggoners who have moved on to other teams.

Good post.  That's what drives me nuts.  The difference between the sens and the leafs this year is that the leafs aren't feeling sorry for themselves.  They're games are actually fun to watch.  Its the first time in a really long time that I can respect what the toronto organization is doing.  I just hope that we follow suit.  I have a feeling (and hope) that we are a similar team to them next year, with more talent.  I really hope the young guns get their shot next year.  As was stated, you're not really a fan if you jump ship in times like these.  The playoffs always drove me nuts...all of a sudden every car in ottawa has a sens flag, demonstrating their support.  Ottawa police should have the right to give out tickets for cars with sens flags and drivers that can't name 5 players on the roster.

15Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Empty Re: Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith? Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The question 'Is the Ottawa Fan Base Losing Faith?' can be interpreted in different ways depending on how one defines 'fan', 'fan base', and 'faith'.

For those who are completely committed to their team, maintaining their enthusiasm during the ups and downs of the Senators is only re-inforced by adversity.

There are also those who continue to profess their 'faith' in the team, believing that their positive outlook has an impact on the performance of these professionals. Reciprocally, hockey players will often say that fan support helps to stoke their enthusiasm.

Finally, there are those who are influenced by the excitement a sports team generates, who will follow along as their local club experiences success.

Just as winning has a cumulative effect of mass euphoria, losing has the equal and opposite effect upon the majority.

From a consumer perspective, the word 'faith' is replaced by 'trust' when it comes to purchases motivated by enthusiasm for that sports team. If fans that trust their team is competing, they feel justified in declaring that trust by buying tickets and merchandise.

So the question might be more properly formulated, "Are Ottawa hockey fans losing their trust of the Senators?"

In terms of the current malaise, hardcore Sens fans (such as the ones who lead this excellent forum) might do well to step back and realize that what is happening now is an inevitable and necessary part of the historical evolution of every NHL team.

There is not a single NHL team that has NOT gone through its period of struggle. Pro sports being, for the most part cyclical, championship teams rarely escape the so-called 'fall from grace'.

Can fans be blamed for faltering in their allegiance? IMHO the core of fandom precludes the debate. Hardcore fans demonstrate by their leadership that supporting 'their' team (insofar as any fan can assume a sense of ownership about a commercial enterprise) is a good and, often noble, thing.

Sports franchises that understand and respond to the value that their fans provide--and not just the revenue they generate--commit to consistent and incremental excellence.

Professional sports are unique in that fans make not only a financial investment but a considerable emotional investment. The communal experience is exceptional. But it is also exceptional to be able to step back and understand that one's enthusiasm is a matter of personal choice, while respecting the choices of those who do not share our own.

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum