GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

+8
dennycrane
caissie_1
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Phoenix30
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Dregers 10 Players to watch at the Deadline. To be honest I can't wait for the deadline.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=264962

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Too bad Mike Fisher isn't on the list. Couldn't he be the Penguins new "Ryan Malone"?

Chris Neil will fetch a nice premium. No surprise there.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:Too bad Mike Fisher isn't on the list. Couldn't he be the Penguins new "Ryan Malone"?

The one I was surprised not include was Kuba.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Phoenix30 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Too bad Mike Fisher isn't on the list. Couldn't he be the Penguins new "Ryan Malone"?

The one I was surprised not include was Kuba.

File Kuba under "G" for "Goes Without Saying" or "Gone", take your pick.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan is correct in bringing up Mike Fisher's name, and Phoenix has nailed it with Kuba.

To his credit, Dreger does list a few names here that haven't been mentioned often or before, ie. Armstrong, Neil, Upshall, Antropov, Ryan Whitney. But he skims the surface on the rest.

Kaberle and Kubina are old news, having been talked about since last season, but their NTCs mean Burke's options are limited.

Nylander and Bouwmeester come with caveats. Nylander's contract and age work against him. No one knows whether Jacques Martin will try to keep JayBo if the Panthers are close to making the playoffs, and his asking price is said to be steep.

Tkachuk has an NTC, and is reported to have said he likes playing in St.Louis.

IMHO Lyle Richardson and his site Spector's Hockey, which provides further insight on the complexities of the subject, has done the most cogent analysis of the trade possibilities coming up.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:IMHO Lyle Richardson and his site Spector's Hockey, which provides further insight on the complexities of the subject, has done the most cogent analysis of the trade possibilities coming up.

Spector pretty much compiles the rumours and ultimately dismisses all of them. I like his site as a comprehensive digest of published rumours. His analysis is hit and miss.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I swear there is like a 6% chance that Nylander gets traded. In this day and age when no one is trading to begin with, can you really imagine a team acquiring a 5 million dollar healthy scratch who has another year left on his contract?

I like Nylander - a lot - and I would love to have him here, but there is no chance in this cap world/economic downturn that any team can take a 'flyer' on him.

Tkachuk has said that he'd waive for Boston (which is Boston's kiss of death if they acquire him). He's apparently made a list for St.Louis to explore of teams he'll go to.

Neil will definitely be traded if you believe the Sun and that he deserves 'double' what he's making. Bye bye. Too bad though. Settle for 1.5 million a year and you're a Sen...do you really want to be a Sen that bad?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Neil will definitely be traded if you believe the Sun and that he deserves 'double' what he's making. Bye bye. Too bad though. Settle for 1.5 million a year and you're a Sen...do you really want to be a Sen that bad?

I'd say he does. He's really stepped-up a "team first" approach this year and people are noticing.

I say he gets dealt and comes back for 1.5.

504Heater wrote:I swear there is like a 6% chance that Nylander gets traded. In this day and age when no one is trading to begin with, can you really imagine a team acquiring a 5 million dollar healthy scratch who has another year left on his contract?

I like Nylander - a lot - and I would love to have him here, but there is no chance in this cap world/economic downturn that any team can take a 'flyer' on him.

Tkachuk has said that he'd waive for Boston (which is Boston's kiss of death if they acquire him). He's apparently made a list for St.Louis to explore of teams he'll go to.

Neil will definitely be traded if you believe the Sun and that he deserves 'double' what he's making. Bye bye. Too bad though. Settle for 1.5 million a year and you're a Sen...do you really want to be a Sen that bad?

I like Neiler, a guy who can drop 'em and still play but you are right. $1.5M or let me know where you will like to go at the deadline and I will call them first but go somewhere you will, and not like it you may. <-- that last scentence is a bit Yoda-esqe

Last edited by MurderOnIce on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
I'd say he does. He's really stepped-up a "team first" approach this year and people are noticing.

I say he gets dealt and comes back for 1.5.

His comments in the paper were really biting. They asked him "Why do you fight so much Chris?" And he answered "Because no one else will do it."

Wow. Sad times...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
I like Neiler, a guy who can drop 'em and still play but you are right. $1.5M or let me know where you will like to go at the deadline and I will call them first but go somewhere you will, and not like it you may.

Strong is this one. :D

Seriously, I wonder if he stays. I actually really and truly wonder what he's worth on the open market. Again, economic times being a factor and also the fact that there's a whole whack of middle tiered players who are gonna have zero choice but to sign a lower $$ amount this summer and for one or 2 years tops.

504Heater wrote:I swear there is like a 6% chance that Nylander gets traded. In this day and age when no one is trading to begin with, can you really imagine a team acquiring a 5 million dollar healthy scratch who has another year left on his contract?

What's left on Nylander's contract though? I think trades like Fisher for Nylander will happen this year. Not saying this trade is what would/should be done, but both players have contracts that are bad for their respective teams, and not necessarily bad for the team they would go to.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:IMHO Lyle Richardson and his site Spector's Hockey, which provides further insight on the complexities of the subject, has done the most cogent analysis of the trade possibilities coming up.

Spector pretty much compiles the rumours and ultimately dismisses all of them. I like his site as a comprehensive digest of published rumours. His analysis is hit and miss.

SSF, I would respectfully disagree. While his main site is a compilation, his Spector's Blog, THN Column and Soapbox, all linked to the main site, explore these trade rumours in depth. His analysis is IMHO some of the best in the hockey media.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

B B B Bird is the Word wrote:
What's left on Nylander's contract though? I think trades like Fisher for Nylander will happen this year. Not saying this trade is what would/should be done, but both players have contracts that are bad for their respective teams, and not necessarily bad for the team they would go to.

2 years left at 4.8.

504Heater wrote:
B B B Bird is the Word wrote:

2 years left at 4.8.

Am I way off on this? Would you trade Fisher for Nylander (NMC's aside)? Would the Islanders?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum