GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melnyk Loses It

+10
Phoenix30
The Silfer Server
COLLAR UP
Snuh
PTFlea
Cronie
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Wow, SSF, that's a pretty savage assessment of Gene Melnyk.

Not really. Rich dudes wiping their arses with C-Notes is comedy gold. If The Gene were that funny this topic wouldn't exist.

17Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SSF, I take it you're not having lunch with The Gene anytime soon then...
Wink

18Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am

davetherave wrote:SSF, I take it you're not having lunch with The Gene anytime soon then...
Wink

I think he (and I) are about to dredge the sewer system below Gene's house...

19Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

MurderOnIce wrote:
davetherave wrote:SSF, I take it you're not having lunch with The Gene anytime soon then...
Wink

I'll help - a Dung c-note is better than no c-note at all!

20Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MurderOnIce wrote:
Wink

Heck, I'd even buy The Gene lunch after a thorough cleanup!

21Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ROFL LMAO

22Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 am

Snuh wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:While I agree DTR, that Melnyk may want to have a media coach handy for the next little while, the fact is the man is probably drowning in stress and his frustration hit a plateau.

Now, at the same time, he was speaking tongue in cheek and people have got to LIGHTEN up... Should he apologize, in a sense, sure, but there's no need to make a presser or a big deal out of it.

Of course, he could always forego apologizing and make some DRASTIC moves instead... actions speak louder than words, you know... Wink

He's still a better public speaker than Andre Cornellier. What a douchetard that guy is.

Oh. My. God. An avatar of epic proportions. I'm too spellbound by it to comment on the actual post.

23Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 am

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

504Heater wrote:Pfft. Give me a break. What he said was in context with people saying that the Sens should be blown up. Go Diddle yourself was his response - just worded differently.

The 4th graders being around is something he needs to consider in future, but I love his response. Best owner in the NHL.

Heater you canot be serious...we should all be embarrassed by his stupid remarks...all sens fans...

get a bomb...and go blow yourself up...

come on idiot...today you cannot say that...it is a major taboo...we have people over in Afghan who are actuall facing sh*t like this everyday...losing their lives...I beleiev the count is what 102 including a civilian...

so no Heater it is not funny...it is not OK...with or without 4th graders...it was in poor taste...

you want to start one of our stupid polls...how bout a poll asking if Melnyk should apologize for his mentl blunder...what a fu*king idiot

24Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:28 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

COLLAR UP wrote:
504Heater wrote:Pfft. Give me a break. What he said was in context with people saying that the Sens should be blown up. Go Diddle yourself was his response - just worded differently.

The 4th graders being around is something he needs to consider in future, but I love his response. Best owner in the NHL.

Heater you canot be serious...we should all be embarrassed by his stupid remarks...all sens fans...

come on idiot...today you cannot say that...it is a major taboo...we have people over in Afghan who are actuall facing sh*t like this everyday...losing their lives...I beleiev the count is what 102 including a civilian...

so no Heater it is not funny...it is not OK...with or without 4th graders...it was in poor taste...

you want to start one of our stupid polls...how bout a poll asking if Melnyk should apologize for his mentl blunder...what a fu*king idiot

You are reading far too deeply into this!!! This is actually the first time that has even crossed my mind.

And another thing, just because Canadians are dying doesn't mean it's all of a sudden a problem. People have been dying because of landmines in wartorn countries since WWII, and it's not just now an issue because Canadians have started to die.

I'm completely with Heater on this one. He wasn't telling people to go become suicide bombers. Relax man.

25Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 am

I dont think it was ment with any real conviction or anything like that, but Melnyk might just want to shut up until he fires someone, or there is something of any signifigance to announce. Right now, Sens fans dont want to hear anything else, from anyone in that organization unless change is coming.

26Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:11 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

Bass Destruction wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:

You are reading far too deeply into this!!! This is actually the first time that has even crossed my mind.

And another thing, just because Canadians are dying doesn't mean it's all of a sudden a problem. People have been dying because of landmines in wartorn countries since WWII, and it's not just now an issue because Canadians have started to die.

I'm completely with Heater on this one. He wasn't telling people to go become suicide bombers. Relax man.

It is not just Canadians...you are right...making the statement even more ignorant...

the fact is...and there is no denying unless of course you are an insensitive fool...you cannot say things like that...especially in the public eye...

say it to your friends behind closed doors fine...but out loud for all...and just as stupid...in front of children...

I am relaxed though...I just don't see how people on here can be ok with comments like that...from anybody...

furthermore...we have idiotic polls like "should McGuire apologize" for his comments...but it is ok for our owner to make comments far more serious given the circumstances we face in todays society...and most people seem to be able to brush it off and make excuses for him "oh...it is not like he was telling people to become suicide bombers"..."oh...he was only responding to those who say he should blow the team up"...

In sum...it is a comment he should not have made...it is ignorant...insensitive and down right oblivious to the world context...

one must use tact when speaking...one must think of any and all consequences before an action is taken...

27Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 pm

COLLAR UP wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:

It is not just Canadians...you are right...making the statement even more ignorant...

the fact is...and there is no denying unless of course you are an insensitive fool...you cannot say things like that...especially in the public eye...

say it to your friends behind closed doors fine...but out loud for all...and just as stupid...in front of children...

I am relaxed though...I just don't see how people on here can be ok with comments like that...from anybody...

furthermore...we have idiotic polls like "should McGuire apologize" for his comments...but it is ok for our owner to make comments far more serious given the circumstances we face in todays society...and most people seem to be able to brush it off and make excuses for him "oh...it is not like he was telling people to become suicide bombers"..."oh...he was only responding to those who say he should blow the team up"...

In sum...it is a comment he should not have made...it is ignorant...insensitive and down right oblivious to the world context...

one must use tact when speaking...one must think of any and all consequences before an action is taken...

One must, but one always doesn't. Melnyk should have worded it differently. The fact that we even debate whether this is wrong or not shows that it's borderline.

28Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:27 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

COLLAR UP wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:

That's fair, but I don't believe that was his intent. That's not really an excuse for behaviour, although, at least I believe, that because it was not his intention, that it does not really bother me. If he had intended the comments, then that is different, but i don't believe he did.

29Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

He has done so much for the community and our services overseas over the years that I don't believe for one minute his words were intentional or serious. His comments were out of pure frustration for his teams circumstances and yes he should have said something different but who doesn't slip up from time to time.

30Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 pm

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

all I am saying is that intentions do not always give us excuses...

certainly I am sure he didn't intend on saying go out and become a suicide bomber...nonetheless that is basically what he said...and it is offensive to many people...intended or not...

we cannot use the "intention" excuse...in life there are things we shouldn't say...and what Melnyk said is definitely one of them!

31Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:25 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

COLLAR UP wrote:all I am saying is that intentions do not always give us excuses...

certainly I am sure he didn't intend on saying go out and become a suicide bomber...nonetheless that is basically what he said...and it is offensive to many people...intended or not...

we cannot use the "intention" excuse...in life there are things we shouldn't say...and what Melnyk said is definitely one of them!

Yes and no... You can say the same thing about comedy... If he said that in order to be funny then does that make it ok??? I'm not trying to knock on you, but your avatar is a picture of a pedophile. Sure his character is farce, but does that make it ok to laugh about pedophilia??? I know the difference is the context, but at the same time kids won't be listening to Melnyk speak, yet kids will watch Family Guy. I think a lot is being made out of nothing.

32Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

CollarUp (btw, miss your old avatar, this one gives me the creeps, although his version of Gandalf's fight with the Balrog was priceless). Anyway, what was my point ... oh, yeah.

I'm sure when they asked whether he's thinking of blowing up the team they meant it in a figurative way, not literal. I think we're all in agreement here that Melnyk's retort was just as figurative.

Don't throw Melnyk under the bus (not being literal here) unless you start with the press first.

33Melnyk Loses It - Page 2 Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:15 pm

COLLAR UP wrote:all I am saying is that intentions do not always give us excuses...

Hold on a second...to take what he said which was, "They should go blow themselves up", and turn that into he was basically saying that they should be suicide bombers is just a stupid retort.

I'm sorry I hate that word, but that arguement is stupid.

He didn't basically say that they should become suicide bombers, he basically said that anyone who thought this team should be blown up, should go to hell. That's the hidden meaning behind the statement.

I'm not defending what he said. I took offense to it as the sister of a major who has served two tours in Afghanistan. Funny thing, was my sister didn't blink an eye, and she said most military people she has talked to about it laughed it off as over reaction by people who are thousands of miles away from the real situation.

I think people should stop reading hidden meaning into statements from anyone who works for the team and just wait for this whole thing to play out.

What has happened to this city of ours. Has a losing team made us all crazy. People want to string Pierre McGuire up for saying we are provincial because we are rallying behind a rookie goalie. Who cares what that bald freak thinks. My god, what has he done? Really, does his opinion hold so much value that we worry what he says on TV about our players. Say what he wants, if/when Elliott becomes the savior for this team he'll eat plenty of crow, you know the fans won't allow anythying less.

When Melnyk makes outlandish statements in the press we all call for his head, but in general we are fine when Garrioch or Brennan make just as stupid a remark and chalk it up to them being them.

We are critical of Murray for not making a deal to help the team, but we all admit that he likely isn't being given anything to deal with. I can guarantee that Murray has held talks about trading some players, however what's being offered in return is crap. Should he trade just to keep us happy, or wait until a deal makes sense for the team.

Sorry to spout off, but reading all these blogs lately has me shaking my head wondering what's gone wrong with us.

Dawg's Wife

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum