GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melnyk Loses It

+10
Phoenix30
The Silfer Server
COLLAR UP
Snuh
PTFlea
Cronie
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Melnyk Loses It Empty Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

So, it seems that Melnyk has finally lost it. While he says that he thinks this team is going to turn it around and win 26-27 games of the remaining 37, it's clear that he doesn't really believe that.

His latest "slip" in front of the media and 30 4th graders is enough to make that clear to us.

While I don't think this team needs to be blown up, I do think that he needs to look into the management and coaching of the team. I also think that, even though he isn't the GM or Coach of this team, that he should absolutely have a good sit down with the big 3 to see what really is going on in that room.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/01/29/8183641-sun.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264894&lid=sublink06&lpos=headlines_main

2Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think the part that may get him into trouble is the fact that he told people they should blow themselves up. I personally found it funny but I could easily see it getting him in hot water.

- Unknown Author

3Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think the part that may get him into trouble is the fact that he told people they should blow themselves up. I personally found it funny but I could easily see it getting him in hot water.

Oh, he'll get in trouble for that alright. Especially since he was in front of 30 4th graders when he said it...not the best thing to do. You should really think before you speak, no matter how pissed off you are.
He's got very little faith in this club, no matter what he says. I guess it's all for show. I don't know why he bothers sometimes.

4Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Melnyk made a similar remark to Mendes in the 2nd intermission "get your own bomb" and got a laugh. So he probably repeated it thinking it was clever the first time around and was trying to be funny yet defiant.

Ultimately, his quest for cheap laffs "blew up" in his face. Get it?

5Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Uncle Gene needs some 'message management'...unfortunately he let his words get away from him.

Using 'bomb' metaphors wasn't a smart move.

But let's face it, Melnyk is PO'd BIG TIME...he's probably enraged by the team flatlining, the media howling and the fans walking out. He's got hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and the pressure he feels can only be enormous.

You know this guy isn't sleeping nights.

That said, choosing one's words carefully becomes all the more critical when the spotlight is shining in one's face.

Anyway, Melnyk's given the jackals like Brennan and Kulka something to bleat about.

6Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:11 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote: You know this guy isn't sleeping nights.

Anyway, Melnyk's given the jackals like Brennan and Kulka something to bleat about.

He sleeps fine in his solid-gold framed bed until he has to get up at night to use his jewel-encrusted toilet where you'll notice his TP is already brown, because it's a roll of 100-dollar bills.

CheapShots needs someone to call "Uh-Oh" now that Corvo and Meszaros are gone.

7Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 am

davetherave wrote:Uncle Gene needs some 'message management'...unfortunately he let his words get away from him.

Using 'bomb' metaphors wasn't a smart move.

But let's face it, Melnyk is PO'd BIG TIME...he's probably enraged by the team flatlining, the media howling and the fans walking out. He's got hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and the pressure he feels can only be enormous.

You know this guy isn't sleeping nights.

That said, choosing one's words carefully becomes all the more critical when the spotlight is shining in one's face.

Brennan and Kulka are a$$ tulips. Sure the comments were insensitive when pasted in black and white of the newspaper but really Melnyk was frustrated. This is all geting blown out of proportion.

Melnyk had confidence in Murray and for whatever reason the guys he is giving millions to are completely incapable of getting motivated. I would have taken a different tack if I was him and blown up in the dressing room with the media just outside the door, perhaps kicking a garbage can or two, to show that I care and get the message to the fans that way. If you do it that way you can say whatever you want. The media can then 'bleep' out the expletives and you can say it was 'private'. Hopefully you could get the message across at the same time.

This other stuff is just ill-timed and the wrong forum but I agree the guy is frustrated and stressed about this club. So are many of us and we just have ticket money involved not $55M a year plus the $100M or so it cost to buy the club.

8Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:20 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wow, SSF, that's a pretty savage assessment of Gene Melnyk.

9Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:32 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

While I agree DTR, that Melnyk may want to have a media coach handy for the next little while, the fact is the man is probably drowning in stress and his frustration hit a plateau.

Now, at the same time, he was speaking tongue in cheek and people have got to LIGHTEN up... Should he apologize, in a sense, sure, but there's no need to make a presser or a big deal out of it.

Of course, he could always forego apologizing and make some DRASTIC moves instead... actions speak louder than words, you know... Wink

10Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Pfft. Give me a break. What he said was in context with people saying that the Sens should be blown up. Go Diddle yourself was his response - just worded differently.

The 4th graders being around is something he needs to consider in future, but I love his response. Best owner in the NHL.

11Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:While I agree DTR, that Melnyk may want to have a media coach handy for the next little while, the fact is the man is probably drowning in stress and his frustration hit a plateau.

Now, at the same time, he was speaking tongue in cheek and people have got to LIGHTEN up... Should he apologize, in a sense, sure, but there's no need to make a presser or a big deal out of it.

Of course, he could always forego apologizing and make some DRASTIC moves instead... actions speak louder than words, you know... Wink

Do NOT apologize. I can't stress that enough. Media around here act like little children most of the time - not to mention that they rarely know what they're actually talking about. Apologizing will just bring them back for more. Standing behind the message gives them pause.

12Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:While I agree DTR, that Melnyk may want to have a media coach handy for the next little while, the fact is the man is probably drowning in stress and his frustration hit a plateau.

He's still a better public speaker than Andre Cornellier. What a douchetard that guy is.

13Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:Wow, SSF, that's a pretty savage assessment of Gene Melnyk.

Not really. Rich dudes wiping their arses with C-Notes is comedy gold. If The Gene were that funny this topic wouldn't exist.

14Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:47 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SSF, I take it you're not having lunch with The Gene anytime soon then...
Wink

15Melnyk Loses It Empty Re: Melnyk Loses It Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am

davetherave wrote:SSF, I take it you're not having lunch with The Gene anytime soon then...
Wink

I think he (and I) are about to dredge the sewer system below Gene's house...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum