GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers

+4
PTFlea
rooneypoo
wprager
The Silfer Server
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:50 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Was watching TSN and the ticker stated that Florida Panthers Dman Cory Murphy was placed on re-entry waivers... Here is a source that confirms it:

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Cory_Murphy/204039

Does this mean if we claim him, then all we have to do is pay half of his $825K salary??? I'd be game for that...

2Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:55 pm

Bass Destruction (dirtyno wrote:Was watching TSN and the ticker stated that Florida Panthers Dman Cory Murphy was placed on re-entry waivers... Here is a source that confirms it:

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Cory_Murphy/204039

Does this mean if we claim him, then all we have to do is pay half of his $825K salary??? I'd be game for that...

Yes, half of what's left I believe. But there are teams ahead of us in the waiver order I do believe. Murray would be crazy to not take a flier on this hometown boy for what amounts to spare change.

3Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How is the order determined? I know once you grab a guy you go back to the bottom of the order, but is the order determined by the standings the previous year?

4Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:How is the order determined? I know once you grab a guy you go back to the bottom of the order, but is the order determined by the standings the previous year?

I'm pretty sure they use the current standings to determine the waiver order, but I could be wrong.

Remember, too: if we were to claim him on recall, we'd be picking up 1/2 of Murphy's prorated contract, which works out to about $220,000. Seems like a pretty small gamble to take, to me. I know for f'ing sure that he's a better PQ guy than Brendan Bell.

5Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:I'm pretty sure they use the current standings to determine the waiver order, but I could be wrong.

Remember, too: if we were to claim him on recall, we'd be picking up 1/2 of Murphy's prorated contract, which works out to about $220,000. Seems like a pretty small gamble to take, to me. I know for f'ing sure that he's a better PQ guy than Brendan Bell.

When you make a claim, do you go to the bottoms of the list? If so, Murray might want to hold his claim for closer to the deadline when teams get desperate to unload salaries.

If not, then yeah, why not?

6Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:54 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I would grab him. I don`t know that Murray will be picking up salary at the deadline.

Murphy is a huge upgrade on Bell. If he works out, trading out Kuba for a future asset could be justified, even if the team plays well.

7Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:55 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I'm pretty sure they use the current standings to determine the waiver order, but I could be wrong.

When you make a claim, do you go to the bottoms of the list? If so, Murray might want to hold his claim for closer to the deadline when teams get desperate to unload salaries.

If not, then yeah, why not?

According to NHLSCAP that is a common misconception.

8Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

geez, Murray, take a chance on this guy will ya? For a measly $200K and change, what have you got to lose?!?!

9Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:44 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Who does he replace full-time though?

Can we really make Smith a healthy scratch? Because I like what Lee's bringing to the team right now.

10Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:23 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:Who does he replace full-time though?

Can we really make Smith a healthy scratch? Because I like what Lee's bringing to the team right now.

For now sit Schubert, and don't hurry Volchie back. Then, with luck will have 3-5 game trial for the guy, and if there looks to be promise, then I have no idea. But if he's crappy, put him back on waivers...

11Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:35 am

Bass Destruction wrote:

For now sit Schubert, and don't hurry Volchie back. Then, with luck will have 3-5 game trial for the guy, and if there looks to be promise, then I have no idea. But if he's crappy, put him back on waivers...

Can't hurt for the cost I don't think. Plus he's a local boy.

12Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Definitely Schubert for now. We've got too many defensemen now, even with A-Train out. When he comes back we have 8, and Murphy would make it 9. I can't believe Schubert is playing D in place of Bell. He may not like it, but he was a heck of a 4th line banger -- now he is a just a not-ready-for-the-NHL defenceman.

If we get Murphy, we need to move two defensemen, minimum. I'd target Schubert and Kuba longer-term, Schubert, Bell, Lee short-term. Lee has been playing well, but not great by any stretch. He could help Bingo a lot more than he can help us.

13Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:42 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Forget this guy. I'd be spending my time and roster space targeting a premier puck-moving defenseman. Not an almost 30-year old bottom pairing defenseman on re-entry waivers.

14Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Forget this guy. I'd be spending my time and roster space targeting a premier puck-moving defenseman. Not an almost 30-year old bottom pairing defenseman on re-entry waivers.

For 200K, I don't see what the problem is. Offensively, he's a much better puck-mover than anyone we have.

15Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Empty Re: Cory Murphy on re-entry waivers Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:08 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
PKC wrote:Forget this guy. I'd be spending my time and roster space targeting a premier puck-moving defenseman. Not an almost 30-year old bottom pairing defenseman on re-entry waivers.

For 200K, I don't see what the problem is. Offensively, he's a much better puck-mover than anyone we have.

I just don't think we need to use a roster spot for this guy when we already have a surplus of bottom-pairing defensemen. He's not going to take away Kuba, Phillips, Volchenkov or Picard's spot in the top four. So who on the bottom pairing is going to sit in favor of Murphy? Smith, Lee, Schubert or Bell?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum