GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously??

+8
drive2thenet
PTFlea
PKC
Number Twenty Nine
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously??

If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously?? Vote_lcap240%If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously?? Vote_rcap2 40% [ 6 ]
If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously?? Vote_lcap260%If Hartsburg is fired can this team take the next guy seriously?? Vote_rcap2 60% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It started with Murray moving up to the GM position and promoting Paddock who got fired because the team collapsed and in came Murray to put the season out of it's misery with the team continuing to suck arse. Along comes Hartsburgh and the team continues it's craptastic performance. If they fire him and bring in yet another coach do the players take him seriously?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Get the right coach for the team, or the right team for the coach. It's simple, really.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Get the right coach for the team, or the right team for the coach. It's simple, really.

In theory.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Damn practice!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tortorella should have been hired instead of Hartsburg. Also simple.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Torts probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but Hartsberg I'd never even heard of (since his playing days, that is).

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I would can Hartsburg and put Murray behind the bench for the rest of the year. Why you ask?

The first part is obvious. The team isn't playing for this coach.

Murray came in last year after Paddock, playing the role of nice guy. He tried to get a team that was 4th in the east, one that was just removed from the Cup Final, back on track.

Now, Murray can come in, and everyone knows in the dressing room that if they don't get on board, the GM will see firsthand how bad they are. Murray has already said he will make changes. The advantage of Murray going back behind the bench is that he will see first-hand who wants to be an Ottawa Senator and who doesn't.

Melnyk also made it clear last April that he wanted Murray to coach. My guess is that Melnyk said something along the lines of 'you can stay if you coach and GM for at least the rest of the year, if not next season as well'.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Murray has the T shirt on that one already....

However, If they were considering Quinn as both coach and GM, I would think Murray could do the same thing.

Melnyk could force Murray's hand. ie. force him to do both jobs until Hartsberg's contract is over. (payback for hiring Harts in the first place)

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Number Twenty Nine wrote:Murray has the T shirt on that one already....

However, If they were considering Quinn as both coach and GM, I would think Murray could do the same thing.

Melnyk could force Murray's hand. ie. force him to do both jobs until Hartsberg's contract is over. (payback for hiring Harts in the first place)

That is exactly what I envision, once the team slips again. Hartsburg has to keep winning to keep his job.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think coaching is the issue here. Hartsburg can coach a hockey team, there is no doubt in my mind. I think this team is just missing the key personnel and the right mindset for now. This team really struggled from going from a team that is concerned about scoring 6 goals a game to a team that is trying to be concerned with allowing the other team 6 shots a game.

The transition from a wide-open offensive system to a defense first system is always extremely hard. It amplifies when you don't have certain personnel on board -- puck-moving defenseman(men). And it amplifies when you have guys on the team who aren't exactly renowned for their solid two-way effort -- Heatley, Spezza.

I think the direction this team is going in is the right one. I don't think next season will be this bad. I think Murray will do a nice job again this off-season of offloading contracts we don't need and making quality signings.

Our D could be dramatically improved next year just because of the way he has positioned our cap space going forward.

This team still has roughly $15 million to spend next season on defensemen, a top six forward and maybe a goalie - although with Elliott coming in to get some experience, that might not be completely necessary.

This team will be a serious competitor for Bouwmeester in the offseason if he doesn't get extended or traded and extended first. And with the potential to add Hedman to the blueline, our team's backend could get a HUGE facelift in the span of a few months.

I think this team's near future outlook looks brilliant to be honest. We have guys in the minors for the first team in what seems like ages plucking away at their chance to make a move to the big leagues.

Not to mention we had a bunch of guys represented at the World Junior Championships that played prominent and in some cases pivotal roles for their respective countries.

The future looks good ladies and gentlemen. If Murray was able to get those guys on board in just the span of a year and turn our at times embarassing farm system into a VERY competitive club, then imagine what he could do this year with an incredible draft pick, assets to move for more picks or prospects, tons of free agent money to spend if Melnyk gives the go ahead, and trade options galore to explore.

I, for one, am excited. I think this team needs Murray at the helm to make us a competitor for the next decade plus, and this team for now should see what Hartsburg can do with a squad that doesn't have so many holes in it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:I would can Hartsburg and put Murray behind the bench for the rest of the year. Why you ask?

The first part is obvious. The team isn't playing for this coach.

Murray came in last year after Paddock, playing the role of nice guy. He tried to get a team that was 4th in the east, one that was just removed from the Cup Final, back on track.

Now, Murray can come in, and everyone knows in the dressing room that if they don't get on board, the GM will see firsthand how bad they are. Murray has already said he will make changes. The advantage of Murray going back behind the bench is that he will see first-hand who wants to be an Ottawa Senator and who doesn't.

Melnyk also made it clear last April that he wanted Murray to coach. My guess is that Melnyk said something along the lines of 'you can stay if you coach and GM for at least the rest of the year, if not next season as well'.

Interesting. Murray's wife may not be receptive to the idea, but he might allow Tim Murray a little more leeway and do both. Never really thought of that.

Quinn is never happening in Ottawa as long as Murray's around. Torterella is a stretch as well. Hartley...possibly.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

You know who would have been a great coach to get before the season started if he were available - Ted Nolan. That guy can take the sorriest bunch of NHLers and turn them into a ridiculously hard-working outfit.

drive2thenet

drive2thenet
Prospect
Prospect

PKC wrote:You know who would have been a great coach to get before the season started if he were available - Ted Nolan. That guy can take the sorriest bunch of NHLers and turn them into a ridiculously hard-working outfit.

A fantastic idea. And it would be a stick in the eye to Muckler's memory too! Bonus! :D :D :D

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think if we hire another coach, the next one has to be an established vet. Someone who can command respect.

Hartsburg and Paddock are/were just sort of breaking in as head coaches.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Tortorella should have been hired instead of Hartsburg. Also simple.
Do we need to go back and look at the threads discussing that? I don't remember seeing people too happy with that idea at the time. We thought he would not be a good fit or would wear thin very fast.

But now... who knows...

Hindsight?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum