GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shanahan a Devil

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Shanahan a Devil Empty Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

According to TSN, Brendan Shanahan has joined the New Jersey Devils but has yet to officially sign a contract.

2Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BAH!

3Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:58 pm

He's too slow to be effective other than the PP. I'm surprised he didn't come to Ottawa. He'd fit right in.

4Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Who would want to come to Ottawa?

Ottawa must keep losing to secure a top pick.

5Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:Who would want to come to Ottawa?

Mission accomplished tonight.

6Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:45 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Who would want to come to Ottawa?

Mission accomplished tonight.

I think that once UFA forwards look at the impact of Hedman, Karlsson and Lee on their point totals, they'll be more interested in coming here. Wink

One thing I've noticed is that even though our D can make a pass, they can never make a pass to someone moving - it's always behind them.

Guys like Green, Markov, Redden in his prime, Lidstrom etc. are terrifying to play against because if you turn the puck over, there's a good possibility of a break-away going the other way.

Our forwards have to be still when receiving the puck from the D most of the time and it's part of the reason I think that we struggle so much offensively.

Getting a D-man like Hedman would increase forward totals while being solid offensively.

I'm hoping that we can get him and then have Karlsson anchor the second pairing.

That's not to say that a forward like MSP, Tavares, Schroeder, Schenn etc wouldn't be nice, though.

7Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

First, if Tavares is still there when we pick, he's a Senator. Second, if not, then I guess you take Hedman, but it would be weird to see him as a Senator considering the last time he was in the city he was being booed everytime he touched the puck. Are fans going to quickly forget that and cheer him once he is a Senator? Hypocrites.

But this is all irrelevant unless the Sens continue tho slide, and lose every game.

8Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:10 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DashRiprock wrote:Are fans going to quickly forget that and cheer him once he is a Senator?
Yes.

DashRiprock wrote:Hypocrites.
Yes.

DashRiprock wrote:But this is all irrelevant unless the Sens continue tho slide, and lose every game.
Yes.

9Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:First, if Tavares is still there when we pick, he's a Senator. Second, if not, then I guess you take Hedman, but it would be weird to see him as a Senator considering the last time he was in the city he was being booed everytime he touched the puck. Are fans going to quickly forget that and cheer him once he is a Senator? Hypocrites.

But this is all irrelevant unless the Sens continue tho slide, and lose every game.

Tavares had a great showing at the WJHC, surrounded by great players, yes. Heatley had a great showing at the Worlds.

Both are great complementary players and people who will produce like crazy, but I just don't see taking over a game.

Hedman will give us the stud on defence we've lacked since Chara; someone who will solidify this team defensively, produce offensively and increase our forwards' production.

Maybe you're correct, but showing at the WJHC or not I still would rather see Hedman as an Ottawa Senator.

Hypothetically if this were four years ago and we were playing and booing a Russian team with Ovechkin and Malkin, it wouldn't mean that we should take Cam Barker.

10Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

hemlock wrote:He's too slow to be effective other than the PP. I'm
surprised he didn't come to Ottawa. He'd fit right in.

Thats the thing though, all the analysts were saying that a team should
sign him to at least help out on the PP but did they not watch him last
year???? He was on the Rangers powerplay all year long and single
handedly ran it into the ground by just staying stationary on the top
of the circle and waiting for everyone to feed him one timers. It
was painful to watch them work a powerplay all year long. Without
him there they would have been far more successful.

11Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 am

Im also on the side that says you build from the back end up.

Goalie - check
puck moving d man - check
franchise stud D man - Hedman (check?)
franchise forward - depends on your views of Spezza (could be)

If Spezza is still here and we some how have the number 1 pick, you go after Hedman, not Tavares. If we dont have the number 1 pick, NYI will prob take Tavares anyways.

Hedman is the way to go right now with the Sens, but we gotta re-tool up front in a large way as well. Lots of work to do!

12Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Im also on the side that says you build from the back end up.

Goalie - check

If Spezza is still here and we some how have the number 1 pick, you go after Hedman, not Tavares. If we dont have the number 1 pick, NYI will prob take Tavares anyways.

Hedman is the way to go right now with the Sens, but we gotta re-tool up front in a large way as well. Lots of work to do!

Neither Crosby nor Ovechkin were able to turn their teams around in their first seasons in the NHL. There's no guarantee Hedman (or Tavares) will either.

Keeping that in mind, there are a lot of stud forwards at the 2010 draft. But not so many stud defenceman, from the looks of it.

13Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:16 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Goalie - check

Holy motherfucking Dung. N4L just used the words "Spezza" and "franchise" together in the same sentence, and without being sarcastic.

Congrats!

14Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am

Nasty Nas wrote:
hemlock wrote:He's too slow to be effective other than the PP. I'm
surprised he didn't come to Ottawa. He'd fit right in.

Thats the thing though, all the analysts were saying that a team should
sign him to at least help out on the PP but did they not watch him last
year???? He was on the Rangers powerplay all year long and single
handedly ran it into the ground by just staying stationary on the top
of the circle and waiting for everyone to feed him one timers. It
was painful to watch them work a powerplay all year long. Without
him there they would have been far more successful.

Hard to say. They have the 27th ranked PP right now. I don't know how good it was last year but it can't be much worse.

15Shanahan a Devil Empty Re: Shanahan a Devil Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 am

rooneypoo wrote:

Goalie - check

Holy motherfucking Dung. N4L just used the words "Spezza" and "franchise" together in the same sentence, and without being sarcastic.

Congrats!

:lol!: And all it took was a little bit of effort from Spezza and a whole lot of sucking by Heatley. How bad is Heatley right now? No goals in 8 games and 2 in his last 15. Methinks he isn't hitting 50 this year. I think matching his 41 (I think) from last year is a stretch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum