GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mats Sundin

+3
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Riprock
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What decision will Mats make?

Mats Sundin Vote_lcap229%Mats Sundin Vote_rcap2 29% [ 4 ]
Mats Sundin Vote_lcap20%Mats Sundin Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Mats Sundin Vote_lcap27%Mats Sundin Vote_rcap2 7% [ 1 ]
Mats Sundin Vote_lcap243%Mats Sundin Vote_rcap2 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Mats Sundin Empty Mats Sundin Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's right... lifting the lid off that pot.

Updated today, J.P. Barry (Mats' agent) suggests that Mats is strongly considering retirement.

Too bad too... if it happens, he'll be one of the best to not hoist Stanley. He's still fairly healthy and do you not think he deserves to play at least one more year and get that chance?

If he wants to win the cup, he's only got a few options. And we all know if you want to win a cup, don't expect $10-million.

If he really wants to add a championship to his HOF resume, he'll (if these options even exist), sign for the absolute maximum that a team can offer him without jeopardizing their chances. Here are the most likely teams that would land him a cup:

1. Detroit
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Dallas
  4. San Jose
  5. Ottawa
  6. Montreal
  7. Anaheim
  8. New York Rangers

I think those are pretty good odds on favourites to win, but given some teams cap situations, not the most likely destination for him. I'm really hoping Ottawa would be an option.

So what decision do you think Mats will make?

2Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 am

DashRiprock wrote:That's right... lifting the lid off that pot.

Updated today, J.P. Barry (Mats' agent) suggests that Mats is strongly considering retirement.

Too bad too... if it happens, he'll be one of the best to not hoist Stanley. He's still fairly healthy and do you not think he deserves to play at least one more year and get that chance?

If he wants to win the cup, he's only got a few options. And we all know if you want to win a cup, don't expect $10-million.

If he really wants to add a championship to his HOF resume, he'll (if these options even exist), sign for the absolute maximum that a team can offer him without jeopardizing their chances. Here are the most likely teams that would land him a cup:

1. Detroit
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Dallas
  4. San Jose
  5. Ottawa
  6. Montreal
  7. Anaheim
  8. New York Rangers

I think those are pretty good odds on favourites to win, but given some teams cap situations, not the most likely destination for him. I'm really hoping Ottawa would be an option.

So what decision do you think Mats will make?

I voted for the Rangers. I think they can screw up their payroll more if they tried harder. They've surprised before and I bet they can make the necessary room.

3Mats Sundin Empty I voted Pittsburgh just for fun Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why not? Move Malkin to wing, since he can't take a draw to save his mother's life. Or move Staal to wing and put Malkin on the third line -- can you imagine three lines centred by the likes of Crosby, Sundin and Malkin? Get half-decent wingers and even Detroit's defence would have a hard time controlling the attack.

Frankly, though, I have no idea where Mats will end up and, just as frankly, I don't really care anymore.

4Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow it only took what 2, 3 days tops before a Sundin topic :lol!:

Seriously though I voted retirement just due to the loyalty of the guy, however misplaced it might be. I do think he deserves to play for a shot at the Cup and it shouldn't matter what he feels about the Leafs.

5Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:56 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I too was a retirement vote - even as much as I'd like to see him center Alfredsson.

We could always start a Sakic, Selanne and Forsberg thread?

6Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I voted retirement as well, even though I think for Mats that would suck. To hang up your skates and look down at your hands and see that elusive ring missing would be painful.

7Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

And that I don't get. He's still relatively healthy. Forsberg would love for that to be true for him. All Sundin has to do is sign a year-to-year deal for a small figure so he can fit under one of the best team's cap and win a cup.

8Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:I voted retirement as well, even though I think for Mats that would suck. To hang up your skates and look down at your hands and see that elusive ring missing would be painful.

I agree. Screw his missguided sense of loyalty and just sign somewhere Mats!

9Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Apparently both he and Toronto want to take each other back, but Sundin wants the relationship to be exclusive and Toronto wants to be able to see other people down the road.

(Sundin wants NTC, Toronto does not want to give it to him).

10Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Apparently both he and Toronto want to take each other back, but Sundin wants the relationship to be exclusive and Toronto wants to be able to see other people down the road.

(Sundin wants NTC, Toronto does not want to give it to him).

Do you blame TO though after the fiasco that was this past Trade deadline? I also don't blame Sundin because the only reason he signs back with TO is to stay.

11Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Even as a Leafs fan, and Sundin being my favorite player. I really don't care anymore.

12Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:38 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Aetherial wrote:Even as a Leafs fan, and Sundin being my favorite player. I really don't care anymore.

This issue is really dragging isn't it.

13Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

I'm just so torn on this whole subject. A part of me is just so damn fed up with all of this non-sense that it has gotten to the point where i don't care about it anymore, but the other part of me just wants to know what is franking going to happen! i voted retire. IMO if he hasn't made up his mind yet i think its still a retire vs. play debate in his head. if it is down to a NTC against not getting one for toronto, then shame on toronto. I'm sorry, but your captain, who has been with you for 13 some odd years, is asking to not be traded if he decides to return to toronto and you turn to him and say, "Well Mats, Thank you for in the end staying true to the Blue and White. Now, if you will just sign here, we can use you to attempt to make our team better without you, and smudge your name as a true leaf in history. Once again, thanks for all your hard work and effort to pull this team to the SCFs."

:x

14Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:09 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You didn't put Colorado in there? With Sakic whispering sweet nothings in his ear, I could totally see Sundin going there. Not to mention that if they wanted to they could for a trio of terror in Sundin, Forsberg (if Sundin goes there, I guarantee when he's recovered, he'd go as well) and Sakic to go with their young blood.

15Mats Sundin Empty Re: Mats Sundin Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:24 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:You didn't put Colorado in there? With Sakic whispering sweet nothings in his ear, I could totally see Sundin going there. Not to mention that if they wanted to they could for a trio of terror in Sundin, Forsberg (if Sundin goes there, I guarantee when he's recovered, he'd go as well) and Sakic to go with their young blood.

It's funny, because between returning to Toronto, Colorado or retirement, I see Colorado as a BIG maybe...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum