GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray Promises to Shake Things Up

+17
pgood
Acrobat
PKC
Riprock
Mojo
asq2
rooneypoo
wprager
LeCaptain
jamvan
Phoenix30
Cronie
shabbs
smash88
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 15]

196Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:I guarantee he got a nice 'talking to' by Hartsburg about that.

You think he rolled his eyes or giggled or both?

197Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 am

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

Murray said players such as Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Mike Fisher and Vermette need to get their act together.

I find it strange that he didn't name Alfie. He's been pretty brutal too. As much as I love him, he needs to get his Dung together too. If he's hurt, don't play, plain and simple.

198Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Agreed. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. I think he's an old enough dog now to be subject to the "new tricks" rule.

Besides, the sooner he goes, the sooner I stop hearing fans on the radio demanding that "Spensa" be traded.

They'll turn on someone else after that. Likely Heatley or Alfie and run them out of town once and for all.

199Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Oh...I don't think so.

200Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:33 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Agreed. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. I think he's an old enough dog now to be subject to the "new tricks" rule.

Besides, the sooner he goes, the sooner I stop hearing fans on the radio demanding that "Spensa" be traded.

They'll turn on someone else after that. Likely Heatley or Alfie and run them out of town once and for all.

I did enjoy hearing them implore the city to give "Wayne" Redden a chance. That was fun times.

201Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:34 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
Well, I hope you're right. You can understand how I'm losing more and more faith with every game that goes by. It's just not making any sense to me that this team has forgotten how to score when we still have the main guys that put up the points here. There's something strange going on in Sens Land and it's going to have to change soon.

I think we're done this year obviously, but someone was playfully mentioning that these guys are 'depressed'.

Close. I think they're in a bad way mentally - and if they don't snap out of it soon...well...I guess we'll have Hedman.

Sports psychiatrists are a huge part of sports, it's supposed to be the assistant coaches, but if that's not working...something's gotta happen.

202Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:37 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

That was my point; since the beginning of the season (except the last 3-5 games), his number of turnovers were significantly less. Also, I don't think you can say it's taken 6 years. Doesn't matter when he was drafted. Only matters when a) he started playing b) he was asked/told to be more responsive defensively.

If he got back to 100 pts / +25 season, I don't think that we'd be so worried about turnovers.

I do think that patience is wearing thin tho; his lack of effort must be frustrating to a lot of players as well as coaching staff and GM. I think that some players are going to start getting very agressive with Spezza (and I don't just mean verbally).

It all comes down to ASQ's point.

You can't trade him for the sake of trading him; you must maximize return on your assets; otherwise, that's just bad management. There will be plenty of time (and opportunity) to trade him at the deadline if we're still in that position. However, if a great deal ended up on Murray's desk today; I'm sure the door would not be closed (anymore).

Alexandre Picard was on french radio (Montreal) this morning and he said that some of the players were panicking butthat the most vocal player in the room was Smith who's been in that position before and rebounded.

203Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:41 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:That was my point; since the beginning of the season (except the last 3-5 games), his number of turnovers were significantly less. Also, I don't think you can say it's taken 6 years. Doesn't matter when he was drafted. Only matters when a) he started playing b) he was asked/told to be more responsive defensively.

If he got back to 100 pts / +25 season, I don't think that we'd be so worried about turnovers.

I do think that patience is wearing thin tho; his lack of effort must be frustrating to a lot of players as well as coaching staff and GM. I think that some players are going to start getting very agressive with Spezza (and I don't just mean verbally).

It all comes down to ASQ's point.

You can't trade him for the sake of trading him; you must maximize return on your assets; otherwise, that's just bad management. There will be plenty of time (and opportunity) to trade him at the deadline if we're still in that position. However, if a great deal ended up on Murray's desk today; I'm sure the door would not be closed (anymore).

Alexandre Picard was on french radio (Montreal) this morning and he said that some of the players were panicking butthat the most vocal player in the room was Smith who's been in that position before and rebounded.

That's interesting news. Of all the acquisitions Murray made this off-season, I was thrilled about Smith and Ruutu. I'm quite glad to hear Smith being vocal and trying to rally the troops and get them focused...Hopefully, he can help rid them of their pity-party and start playing good old hockey again.

204Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:

Cool. First I'm glad that some of them are panicking and secondly, I'm glad that Smith has stepped up. Give this man an A.

205Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:46 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:Murray said players such as Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley, Mike Fisher and Vermette need to get their act together.

I find it strange that he didn't name Alfie. He's been pretty brutal too. As much as I love him, he needs to get his Dung together too. If he's hurt, don't play, plain and simple.

I say 99% chance he's playing hurt. Remember that slapshot he took off his skate against Tampa? Hasn't skated the same since....

My take on all this is that our top 2 lines are broken while our 3rd and fourth lines have fine very good in their roles....

Alfie - Spezza - Heatley

????? Fisher - Vermette

of that group, Spezza's gone...Heatley needs to play with a better/more physical centre.

Vermette's gotta go, he belongs on a 3rd line, and Fisher needs talented wingers to play with. PLUS we need another top 6.

So really, we need 3 new top 6 forwards. 1 centre and 2 wingers.

Zubov should be given a chance so slot him in on line 2.

Spezza and Vermette could hopefully bring in a big physical Centre...

and then....for the love....sign Shanahan...he's slow but would probably have more goals than Fish and Vermette COMBINED by now!

done.

206Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronenbergfan wrote:That's interesting news. Of all the acquisitions Murray made this off-season, I was thrilled about Smith and Ruutu. I'm quite glad to hear Smith being vocal and trying to rally the troops and get them focused...Hopefully, he can help rid them of their pity-party and start playing good old hockey again.

They are building blocks, even cornerstones of the built-for-the-playoffs team I believe we have here (in part, of course).

That's why I think it would be a shame to let this sink in favour or trying to climb a few spots in the draft and obtain a higher pick that may or may not be better than what we would have had if we didn't tank.

207Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:That's interesting news. Of all the acquisitions Murray made this off-season, I was thrilled about Smith and Ruutu. I'm quite glad to hear Smith being vocal and trying to rally the troops and get them focused...Hopefully, he can help rid them of their pity-party and start playing good old hockey again.

They are building blocks, even cornerstones of the built-for-the-playoffs team I believe we have here (in part, of course).

That's why I think it would be a shame to let this sink in favour or trying to climb a few spots in the draft and obtain a higher pick that may or may not be better than what we would have had if we didn't tank.

Agreed. I've always said that looking at some of the key players currently on the Sens roster, we are not starving for talent per se. I just wish they could start playing with confidence and produce consistently.

Like all of you, I'll be watching the game on Friday awfully close to see:
1) Just how long the big three remain seperated; and
2) to see how (and IF) these guys decide to buckle-down, band together and play hard as a unit.

208Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:09 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

BigRig77 wrote:
I say 99% chance he's playing hurt. Remember that slapshot he took off his skate against Tampa? Hasn't skated the same since....

You know, that's a great point. Alfie really has not looked like himself; A hidden injury would explain an awful lot.

209Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We're almost at mid-day. I wonder what the status of the shake-up is? Hmmmm.

210Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:

Ya Boston is in real rough shape now eh....

A franchise guy, There is about 20 guys in the league of the top of my head I would start a franchise with, over Spezza.

What the hell has Spezza shown that would say he is a franchise player? He will NEVER be a captain, has NEVER won anything in the NHL, OHL, or internationally, and there are more than enough questions about his charachter, work ethic, and general level of competitivness.

Spezza is NOT a franchise player.

I would have no problems dealing Spezza in a Thornton esk deal, he is a cancer and his holding the Sens back from actually moving forward.

One word discribes Spezza. Loser.

Just for curiosity's sake: can you name me, say, 5 other players in the league who put up 90+ points per season, who are widely recognized as talented players, and who are in their mid-20s, but who aren't generally considered franchise or potential franchise players? I'm genuinely interested in the answer.

And, no, Mike Ribeiro does *not* fit the bill.

211Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:32 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:

:lol!:

212Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:38 am

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

Ya Boston is in real rough shape now eh....

A franchise guy, There is about 20 guys in the league of the top of my head I would start a franchise with, over Spezza.

What the hell has Spezza shown that would say he is a franchise player? He will NEVER be a captain, has NEVER won anything in the NHL, OHL, or internationally, and there are more than enough questions about his charachter, work ethic, and general level of competitivness.

Spezza is NOT a franchise player.

I would have no problems dealing Spezza in a Thornton esk deal, he is a cancer and his holding the Sens back from actually moving forward.

One word discribes Spezza. Loser.

Just for curiosity's sake: can you name me, say, 5 other players in the league who put up 90+ points per season, who are widely recognized as talented players, and who are in their mid-20s, but who aren't generally considered franchise or potential franchise players? I'm genuinely interested in the answer.

And, no, Mike Ribeiro does *not* fit the bill.

I was wondering the same thing, there has to be someone, but hometown fans usually know their players best so I can't draw a comparable from another team.

213Murray Promises to Shake Things Up - Page 14 Empty Re: Murray Promises to Shake Things Up Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Anybody read this?
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnists/Garrioch_Bruce/2008/12/18/7787956-sun.html

That doesn't really sound like a pre-Spezz trade...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum