GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Significant Ottawa Rumour

+7
asq2
Riprock
BigRig
Snuh
jamvan
PKC
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Significant Ottawa Rumour Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not sure if anyone specifically posted this in any thread, but there appears to be a tremendous amount of weight to a possible Vermette for Leopold trade very soon.

If you listen to the guys in CKAC (I do not) or the guys on XM, the feeling is right now, that the Sens get the short end of the stick on this one because Leopold is a UFA next year, while Vermette has another year after this at an affordable rate (although they were apparently not kind in talking about Vermette's play this year).

There is some talk that the Avs would have to add something to the mix to get it done, Marek Svatos name has been tossed around.

As always, take a lot of these rumours with a grain of salt, they are after all...just 'guys on the radio' speculating.

2Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:48 pm

504Heater wrote:Not sure if anyone specifically posted this in any thread, but there appears to be a tremendous amount of weight to a possible Vermette for Leopold trade very soon.

If you listen to the guys in CKAC (I do not) or the guys on XM, the feeling is right now, that the Sens get the short end of the stick on this one because Leopold is a UFA next year, while Vermette has another year after this at an affordable rate (although they were apparently not kind in talking about Vermette's play this year).

There is some talk that the Avs would have to add something to the mix to get it done, Marek Svatos name has been tossed around.

As always, take a lot of these rumours with a grain of salt, they are after all...just 'guys on the radio' speculating.

Leopold would be a chance I'd take. He's cheap at $1.5 and can QB a PP. Would certainly take the strain off of Kuba and Phillips could be mercifully taken off the PP. Svatos would certainly help the secondary scoring. I wonder though if we'd need to add to Vermette, and if so what? Too bad we don't still have Nikulin Wink

3Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not sure. I peronally don't really know Leopold that well, but I don't know if he can QB a PP. I see one year a long time ago with Calgary that he put up decent numbers, but what would be the big difference between Colorado and Ottawa for him and his stats? Could he help? I dunno, not sold.

Svatos has been digressing for a while, but I've always liked him for some reason. Not a bad contract either, moveable if needed for a D-man closer to the deadline.

I dunno.

4Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 am

504Heater wrote:Not sure. I peronally don't really know Leopold that well, but I don't know if he can QB a PP. I see one year a long time ago with Calgary that he put up decent numbers, but what would be the big difference between Colorado and Ottawa for him and his stats? Could he help? I dunno, not sold.

Svatos has been digressing for a while, but I've always liked him for some reason. Not a bad contract either, moveable if needed for a D-man closer to the deadline.

I dunno.

Consider what Vermette is giving us atm. Leopold has been through injury problems since he left Calgary, when he was traded for Tanguay. At that point, his stock was rising considerably. For his cap hit, it's very low risk, and if Svatos comes over and matches Vermette's production (which honestly shouldn't be too tough at this rate) we are ahead of the game. This also frees up more PK for Kelly, who then could actually earn his Diddle money.

5Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock34 wrote:
Consider what Vermette is giving us atm. Leopold has been through injury problems since he left Calgary, when he was traded for Tanguay. At that point, his stock was rising considerably. For his cap hit, it's very low risk, and if Svatos comes over and matches Vermette's production (which honestly shouldn't be too tough at this rate) we are ahead of the game. This also frees up more PK for Kelly, who then could actually earn his Diddle money.

The potential is there for Svatos to change his environment and perhaps success - and vice versa for Vermette for sure.

I find it fishy that Svatos would just be 'included' in a deal though. Vermette + what? And is this the right thing to do? How important is Vermette as a bargaining chip for Bouwmeester? Does this kill any chances with him, because there's obviously a night and day difference.

6Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:11 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

So this guy I know from the bar close to my house comes in to work tonight with his wife for dinner. I haven't seen him in a while so I go over to say hi. He knows I'm a huge Sens fan and he's an employee in the marketing & promotions division of the Ottawa Senators.

So we start shooting the Dung about the team and whatever and he says what do you think of Spezza lately? I go on about how he needs to pick his Dung up and start playing like a star center, blah blah blah...he smiles, and says, you know what I think? I say, no. He says I think that we had orders come down to be ready to have alternative promotions on standby in case there is a sudden change in one of the promotional games (poster night, etc.). I ask who, and he says, well we know only of 2 that aren't going to be affected at this point (which means only two players are on the current not tradeable list -- go ahead and figure it out for yourself).

Take it for what its worth, but something really behind the scenes is happening here.

7Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:48 am

PKC wrote:So this guy I know from the bar close to my house comes in to work tonight with his wife for dinner. I haven't seen him in a while so I go over to say hi. He knows I'm a huge Sens fan and he's an employee in the marketing & promotions division of the Ottawa Senators.

So we start shooting the Dung about the team and whatever and he says what do you think of Spezza lately? I go on about how he needs to pick his Dung up and start playing like a star center, blah blah blah...he smiles, and says, you know what I think? I say, no. He says I think that we had orders come down to be ready to have alternative promotions on standby in case there is a sudden change in one of the promotional games (poster night, etc.). I ask who, and he says, well we know only of 2 that aren't going to be affected at this point (which means only two players are on the current not tradeable list -- go ahead and figure it out for yourself).
Take it for what its worth, but something really behind the scenes is happening here.
Alfie and Volchie

8Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:01 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tukker wrote:Alfie and Volchie

Alfie and Heatley would be my guess, but I'd also say that Fisher, Phillips with the NTCs are safe.

I would guarantee this is tied into the Vermette situation.

9Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:49 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Vermette is the likely candidate to go. Spezza is used as a smoke screen, he isn't going anywhere, but he does need to grwo up a bit and decide what he wants to be in this league. A super star or a guy who is mentioned in constant rumours.

10Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:39 am

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

jamvan wrote:Vermette is the likely candidate to go. Spezza is used as a smoke screen, he isn't going anywhere, but he does need to grwo up a bit and decide what he wants to be in this league. A super star or a guy who is mentioned in constant rumours.

Have to agree with you on Vermette. He's had his chance, actually several chances and hasn't done much of anything. Time to move on, I truely think he needs a change of address and will benefit from it, ala Ribero.

11Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 am

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

Tukker wrote:
PKC wrote:So this guy I know from the bar close to my house comes in to work tonight with his wife for dinner. I haven't seen him in a while so I go over to say hi. He knows I'm a huge Sens fan and he's an employee in the marketing & promotions division of the Ottawa Senators.

Alfie and Volchie

with that being said, the world knows that Alfie's going nowhere so then it's Volchie...

If you look at who we want...Jay Bo....I'm thinking the only way we would land him is if we give Martin what he wants....Vermette and Volchenkov and a pick (bidding war price).

Would I do it? Yes. Does it benefit both teams? Yes.

As much as it's not really talked about but Anton's contract is up end of next year and he's going to want a big raise. He hasn't been blocking shots with his face for nothing...he's a warrior and has given a lot for this team but:

1) I don't think we'll be able to afford him after next year
2) The Sens will keep Philips over him
3) You've got to give to get and we need Jay Bo more than anything right now

Look at the Sens D in 2 years and it could look like this

Philips
Lee
Picard
Bowmeester
Karlson
Smith or SChubert...or (for the love of God maybe) Richardson(!)

either way you look at it, I don't see Anton getting re-signed after he diggs in at demanding 4 Million a season.

12Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 am

BigRig77 wrote:
with that being said, the world knows that Alfie's going nowhere so then it's Volchie...

If you look at who we want...Jay Bo....I'm thinking the only way we would land him is if we give Martin what he wants....Vermette and Volchenkov and a pick (bidding war price).

Would I do it? Yes. Does it benefit both teams? Yes.

As much as it's not really talked about but Anton's contract is up end of next year and he's going to want a big raise. He hasn't been blocking shots with his face for nothing...he's a warrior and has given a lot for this team but:

1) I don't think we'll be able to afford him after next year
2) The Sens will keep Philips over him
3) You've got to give to get and we need Jay Bo more than anything right now

Look at the Sens D in 2 years and it could look like this

Philips
Lee
Picard
Bowmeester
Karlson
Smith or SChubert...or (for the love of God maybe) Richardson(!)

either way you look at it, I don't see Anton getting re-signed after he diggs in at demanding 4 Million a season.

Volchenkov isn't going anywhere.

To trade him and Vermette plus a pick for J Bo is crazy. It's overkill, and you're not really improving your team because you get rid of one shut down d-man for an offensive guy who is a UFA. The only way any deal with J Bo gets done before the deadline is if a team has an oportunity to talk to him about an extension.

Murray isn't an idiot and while vermette is likely the guy going wherever you'll not see Volchenkov going, more likely Schubert.

The guys on the trading block right now.

Vermette, Schubert, McCammond, Neil, Donovan, Gerber

Next bubble guys,

Kelly, Foligno, Fisher, Kuba

Everyone else is pretty much safe. With that said Spezza is gone if the right deal comes along, but Murray has stated that there are very few Centremen in this league capable of 100 pts a season, so any deal for Spezza has to be huge. He admitted yesterday on a Sportsnet Article I read that he has offers for Spezza right now, but trading him doesn't make Ottawa a better team.

13Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:Volchenkov isn't going anywhere.

To trade him and Vermette plus a pick for J Bo is crazy. It's overkill, and you're not really improving your team because you get rid of one shut down d-man for an offensive guy who is a UFA. The only way any deal with J Bo gets done before the deadline is if a team has an oportunity to talk to him about an extension.

Murray isn't an idiot and while vermette is likely the guy going wherever you'll not see Volchenkov going, more likely Schubert.

The guys on the trading block right now.

Vermette, Schubert, McCammond, Neil, Donovan, Gerber

Next bubble guys,

Kelly, Foligno, Fisher, Kuba

Everyone else is pretty much safe. With that said Spezza is gone if the right deal comes along, but Murray has stated that there are very few Centremen in this league capable of 100 pts a season, so any deal for Spezza has to be huge. He admitted yesterday on a Sportsnet Article I read that he has offers for Spezza right now, but trading him doesn't make Ottawa a better team.

I heard the same thing about those Spezza offers, the only problem is none of them have real value coming back. These teams are trying to cash in on a star player by getting him cheap because the team is struggling. From what I know, there seems to be at least 6 or 7 deals on the table (not all of them involve Spezza), but Murray won't make a move until the 20-25 game mark.

14Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

How about, Vermette + Gerber for Leopold + _________

15Significant Ottawa Rumour Empty Re: Significant Ottawa Rumour Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:How about, Vermette + Gerber for Leopold + _________

No from Colorado.

They need to upgrade their goaltending. :D

Vermette, Schubert for Leopold, Svatos?

That's interesting enough IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next