GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hubby and Wife charged in Drunk Driving incidents

+5
jamvan
TheAvatar
PTFlea
mattshock
SensGirl11
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

I've heard it's illegal to even be IN your car if you're impaired and in possession of your keys, let alone with them in the ignition.

This makes little sense, as on many an occasion I've been under the influence with no intentions of driving, but in Canadian weather, you turn on the car for the heat. Read: in the parking lot after Sens games waiting to sober up.

As far as the lawn-mower goes, I heard the same thing. Anything that is classified as a motor-vehicle is illegal.

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

mattbond wrote:I've heard it's illegal to even be IN your car if you're impaired and in possession of your keys, let alone with them in the ignition.

This makes little sense, as on many an occasion I've been under the influence with no intentions of driving, but in Canadian weather, you turn on the car for the heat. Read: in the parking lot after Sens games waiting to sober up.

As far as the lawn-mower goes, I heard the same thing. Anything that is classified as a motor-vehicle is illegal.

Dosen't it have to be over 10 HP or something though? or wait am I getting boats and cars mixed up? I am fairly certain boats under 10HP can be operated without a licence, therefore it would not fall under the same drivng or boating laws? I guess on the ground they don't have such rule?

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

That sounds quite possible.

Although seeing some dork on trial for drunken segwey operation would be interesting.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't know. I have a traditional Fishing Trip my father and I and his brothers and nephews go on every year in August up in Penetang, in Georgian Bay (gorgeous fishing there BTW) and the OPP are out in FORCE, and I've seen them stop canoers (no motor) and every other type of pleasure craft inspecting them for alcohol on board...

Either way, the rule of thumb at our house is the keys go into a container the MINUTE you arrive and cabs are called when the night (or morning, whatever the case may be) is through and people return to pick up their cars the following day.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:I don't know. I have a traditional Fishing Trip my father and I and his brothers and nephews go on every year in August up in Penetang, in Georgian Bay (gorgeous fishing there BTW) and the OPP are out in FORCE, and I've seen them stop canoers (no motor) and every other type of pleasure craft inspecting them for alcohol on board...

Either way, the rule of thumb at our house is the keys go into a container the MINUTE you arrive and cabs are called when the night (or morning, whatever the case may be) is through and people return to pick up their cars the following day.

Very smart. One alternative in Ottawa is a company called Responsible Choice - I've used their services a few times (downtown to rural Kanata North is about $60), the beauty being that your car gets home with you, and you don't end up having to explain a whole lot to your significant other, especially when you go out "not intending to stay out late or drink much". [but honey, the drinks just kept coming, really....]

On a serious not, my understanding is that the owner of the place where the alcohol was served, as well as the person serving the alcohol, are both responsible for whatever happens, unless they took reasonable measures to prevent them.

Outside of the legal aspect, I'd hate to live the rest of my life knowing that I served the drink that may have led to someone getting killed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum