GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Which top 6 will Brian Murray target?

+9
Cap'n Clutch
jamvan
Cronie
rooneypoo
wprager
PKC
beerandsens
Acrobat
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

91Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:I'm not so sure I like the Mez/Smith pairing (with all respect to Murray). Didn't Mez have his best year paired with Volchenkov?

I agree, though, that the defense is starting to look fairly solid. Even Montreal's touted PP doesn't look so fearsome with these guys on the blue line, and with what I expect the forwards to do under Hartsburgh.

We gotta get Mez signed...then the world will be a happier place again...

The scary thing about a Smith/Mez pairing, is that Smith gives the puck away a lot. Like top of the league a lot I think. Risky leaning on Mez to clean up some of those giveaways. But, I guess on the other hand, Smith is the achor to that pairing and will allow Mez to be creative out of the zone.

He only had 33 giveaways last year. He wasn't even close to tops on his own team, let alone the whole league.

92Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:02 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:I'm not so sure I like the Mez/Smith pairing (with all respect to Murray). Didn't Mez have his best year paired with Volchenkov?

I agree, though, that the defense is starting to look fairly solid. Even Montreal's touted PP doesn't look so fearsome with these guys on the blue line, and with what I expect the forwards to do under Hartsburgh.

His best year was his rookie year. I can't remember that far back (age, I guess, what was I saying?) but I dout that they would have had a rookie and a sophomore (Volchenkov had 76 games over two seasons heading into Meszaros' rookie year) paired up. I'm pretty sure he was paired up with Phillips.

Whatever, you can also say that his best year was when he *wasn't* paired up with Reddden 8) .

I'd love the idea of Meszaros learning how to play tough with Smith. Even though we're fond of saying that he got 100+ hits and 100+ blocked shots last year, in his first season he had 128 hits and 124 blocked shots (3rd on the team in both categories). He's dropped off fairly significnatly since then, and I don't think it's a coincidence that he was playing with Ringo (whose blocked shots usually result from stick checks).

93Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:58 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:

The scary thing about a Smith/Mez pairing, is that Smith gives the puck away a lot. Like top of the league a lot I think. Risky leaning on Mez to clean up some of those giveaways. But, I guess on the other hand, Smith is the achor to that pairing and will allow Mez to be creative out of the zone.

He only had 33 giveaways last year. He wasn't even close to tops on his own team, let alone the whole league.

Jason Smith? I thought he was 3rd in the league in giveaways, but NHL.com have taken down the RTSS stats, so I don't have a link. Do you?

94Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Jason Smith? I thought he was 3rd in the league in giveaways, but NHL.com have taken down the RTSS stats, so I don't have a link. Do you?

Here you go:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=20082PHISASAll&page=Stats&service=page&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

95Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Here you go:

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=20082PHISASAll&page=Stats&service=page&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Wow, thanks. That's really good to know. I was under the impression that he gave the puck away all the time.

96Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Here you go:

[url=http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=20082PHISASAll&page=Stats&service=page&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats
http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=20082PHISASAll&page=Stats&service=page&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats[/quote[/url]]

Ok, so maybe go with Mez/Phillips, Lee/Volchenkov, and Schubert/Smith (or Nycholat/Smith). The third pairing would see the least ice time, but be the most punishing. It would be depended on least for offence, so they would know that the main role is to ensure the puck is kept to the perimeter (i.e don't have to worry about the fancy breakouts.) The other two pairings each have solid, stay-at-home blueliners, with good PMDs, and all six can hammer the incoming forwards (none are afraid of a hit, and none will do the limp-wrist stickcheck, like Ringo).

Fair?

Oh, and Bell or Carkner can play in the sandbox once in a while too, when someone has to go pee.

97Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:
Ok, so maybe go with Mez/Phillips, Lee/Volchenkov, and Schubert/Smith (or Nycholat/Smith). The third pairing would see the least ice time, but be the most punishing. It would be depended on least for offence, so they would know that the main role is to ensure the puck is kept to the perimeter (i.e don't have to worry about the fancy breakouts.) The other two pairings each have solid, stay-at-home blueliners, with good PMDs, and all six can hammer the incoming forwards (none are afraid of a hit, and none will do the limp-wrist stickcheck, like Ringo).

Fair?

Oh, and Bell or Carkner can play in the sandbox once in a while too, when someone has to go pee.

Carkner's a great guy, he can co-captain Bingo again - or we can use him up here, he's friggin massive. Good fighter too.

Bell...well whatever. He could turn out to be awesome, but I kinda doubt it.

98Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:54 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:Here you go:

Wow, thanks. That's really good to know. I was under the impression that he gave the puck away all the time.

I think if you were to talk to an Oiler fan, they'd tell you that Smith's game has dropped considerably since the 2006 playoff run. At least that's what my Oiler friend tells me... but then again, the whole Oiler team sagged the year before he was traded, so Oiler fans might not be the best judges.

We need a Philly fan around here... they'd know where he's at now best.

Anyway, from what I saw during last year's playoffs, Smith looked pretty solid in the two series against Montreal and Pittsburgh this year. To me, it certainly seems like Philly is going to miss having a physical guy like him who isn't entirely useless (i.e., Hatcher).

99Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Acrobat wrote:

Fair?

Mez/Phillips
Lee/Volchenkov
Schubert/Smith
On paper, its awesome - it should make us extremely tough to play against.
We really need Mez to sign back...He and Phillips is a dangerous duo.

100Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:19 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Fair?

Mez/Phillips
Lee/Volchenkov
Schubert/Smith
On paper, its awesome - it should make us extremely tough to play against.
We really need Mez to sign back...He and Phillips is a dangerous duo.

I wish the season started tomorrow. I can't take waiting anymore with all this hockey talk.

101Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:57 am

Mosky

Mosky
Rookie
Rookie

Ya me neither.. this is killing me all this waiting Sad

102Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Fair?

Carkner's a great guy, he can co-captain Bingo again - or we can use him up here, he's friggin massive. Good fighter too.

Don't know much about Carkner - I'm happy to hear that he's a monster (he'll fit the mold that we seem to be following).

Bell, well, how is he at filling water bottles?

103Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:24 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Fair?

Don't know much about Carkner - I'm happy to hear that he's a monster (he'll fit the mold that we seem to be following).

Bell will surprise a lot of people in my opinion. He had a lot of pressure on him to live up to expectations in Leaf land and he's sort of had a bum rap follow him ever since. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see him earn a spot on the team by the end of the year.

104Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:23 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:

I'm scared though...I heard Carkner makes Richardson look speedy.

105Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:03 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I'm scared though...I heard Carkner makes Richardson look speedy.

Richardson does do offseason quickness training, you know... :lol!:

106Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:55 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder what Murray has planned. I just wish we could get SOMETHING, for the love of God. All we ever get is silence.

107Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:35 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:I wonder what Murray has planned. I just wish we could get SOMETHING, for the love of God. All we ever get is silence.

Don't worry, the end is in sight. Training camps everywhere start opening up in a little over 3 weeks, and the first pre-season game is less than 4 weeks away. My guess is that we'll have the Mesz situation sorted out by then and, if we're going to make any other signings or trades, they'll probably be done at that point, too.

The silence sucks, I know, from the fans' perspective, but I imagine it has it's benefits for the team. When 29 other GMs don't know what guys we're interested in moving or what guys we're really interested in acquiring, I have to think that we're in a better bargaining position. It's not a lot of fun for us, I grant, but Murray's supposed 'gag order' might be best for the team in the long run.

108Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? - Page 7 Empty Re: Which top 6 will Brian Murray target? Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:I wonder what Murray has planned. I just wish we could get SOMETHING, for the love of God. All we ever get is silence.

Hello darkness my old friend ...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum