GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who finishes first in the Pacific Division

+3
wprager
Flo The Action
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Who finishes first in the Pacific Division

Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_lcap243%Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 43% [ 3 ]
Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_lcap229%Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 29% [ 2 ]
Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_lcap214%Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 1 ]
Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_lcap214%Who finishes first in the Pacific Division - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My wife is facing the prospect of being "temporarily" laid off as early as next week.  I could be laid off at any time.  They've said nothing about it so who knows at this point.

Going in Wednesday to defer my car loan payments which are at 0% interest so no biggy there and going to get the mortgage deferred for as long as possible so if we have to survive on the extra CCB and EI we should be able to at least manage for a few months in the hopes that we are back to work.

That blows man, good luck. Hopefully that Trudeau money is available sooner rather than later for you.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

My contract (which I thought was renewed for 12 months at the start of the year) was very suddenly terminated the last week of February. I had 2 weeks whereas I thought I had 10 months or more (I've been there for more than 2-1/2 years). Luckily I was able to find something else fairly quickly (was only off one week) but at a substantial cut (telecom vs. the rest of high-tech is no contest).  I don't know this for a fact but it's a good chance my contract was terminated indirectly because of the pandemic (I was working in board bring-up add diagnostics for new optical cards and most of the components now are manufactured in Asia).

This new place is very small (start up, pretty much) and it wouldn't take much to shut it down.  On the other hand, because it is so small, it doesn't fall under the same scrutiny as bigger places.

Going to Montreal today to pick up my son since McGill had shut down. Was going to send some time with my mom while there but now not so sure.  Maybe I'll just get her some groceries and have sanitizers and get back to Ottawa.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:My wife is facing the prospect of being "temporarily" laid off as early as next week.  I could be laid off at any time.  They've said nothing about it so who knows at this point.

Going in Wednesday to defer my car loan payments which are at 0% interest so no biggy there and going to get the mortgage deferred for as long as possible so if we have to survive on the extra CCB and EI we should be able to at least manage for a few months in the hopes that we are back to work.

That blows man, good luck.  Hopefully that Trudeau money is available sooner rather than later for you.

On the bright side where my wife works is considered an essential service but her hours are still likely to see a drastic cut as they go from closing at 9pm to closing at 6pm.  Still nothing being said about us being laid off but I'm going to broach the subject because not knowing and just waiting for the axe to fall isn't helpful.

I'll know a lot more on Wednesday.  CCB increase comes in May from what I'm hearing.  Alberta has a one time payment of 1100 to bridge the gap while awaiting EI and other supports if I end up stuck at home.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well it's done. That company I started working for two weeks ago lost a large contract because of the pandemic and as a result they terminated my contract.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Diddle, sorry to hear that Walter. Hopefully EI or some of that other Trudeau money is an option for you?  I am never quite sure how all that stuff works.

The Sens laid off a ton of employees (the vast majority of their workforce from what I can tell).  My buddy who works for them got put on a reduced schedule / reduced salary.  So he's now supposed to work 3 days a week instead of 5 (it's kind of a joke because at the height of the season he works pretty much 7 days a week) at a correspondingly reduced wage.  Except because of all the other employees that are now gone, he's being asked to do a bunch more things that normally wouldn't be his responsibility.  

Meanwhile all the Cussing players, who need the money the least, continue to collect their paycheques, despite not actually having to do ANYTHING.  It sucks. Like, wouldn't it have been nice if the players had got together and agreed to skip their last paycheque if it meant that all the other staff could collect a few more paydays? I get that the union would need to be involved in this, but it's not like it's impossible. I'm thinking specifically of a guy like Bobby Ryan, making WAAAAAAAAY too much money...one of his paycheques would make a world of difference for a lot of the regular staff.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:Diddle, sorry to hear that Walter. Hopefully EI or some of that other Trudeau money is an option for you?  I am never quite sure how all that stuff works.

The Sens laid off a ton of employees (the vast majority of their workforce from what I can tell).  My buddy who works for them got put on a reduced schedule / reduced salary.  So he's now supposed to work 3 days a week instead of 5 (it's kind of a joke because at the height of the season he works pretty much 7 days a week) at a correspondingly reduced wage.  Except because of all the other employees that are now gone, he's being asked to do a bunch more things that normally wouldn't be his responsibility.  

Meanwhile all the Cussing players, who need the money the least, continue to collect their paycheques, despite not actually having to do ANYTHING.  It sucks.  Like, wouldn't it have been nice if the players had got together and agreed to skip their last paycheque if it meant that all the other staff could collect a few more paydays?  I get that the union would need to be involved in this, but it's not like it's impossible.  I'm thinking specifically of a guy like Bobby Ryan, making WAAAAAAAAY too much money...one of his paycheques would make a world of difference for a lot of the regular staff.

That would be a good way to do it but the players would never give up their pay cheques.
Both my wife and I are essential services she actually is a nurse on the floor here in New Brunswick where they are isolating COVID patients. So far hasn't been too bad here but everyday she goes to work is a very high stressed out day for me. I work at a mom and pop Pharmacy I am less concerned about what I may encounter that her

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Diddle, sorry to hear that Walter. Hopefully EI or some of that other Trudeau money is an option for you?  I am never quite sure how all that stuff works.

Meanwhile all the Cussing players, who need the money the least, continue to collect their paycheques, despite not actually having to do ANYTHING.  It sucks.  Like, wouldn't it have been nice if the players had got together and agreed to skip their last paycheque if it meant that all the other staff could collect a few more paydays?  I get that the union would need to be involved in this, but it's not like it's impossible.  I'm thinking specifically of a guy like Bobby Ryan, making WAAAAAAAAY too much money...one of his paycheques would make a world of difference for a lot of the regular staff.

Don't be surprised if we see the public service following suit. Non essential employees working 2-3 days a week and making that pay. It's either that or mass layoffs when this is all said and done. I know too many people doing nothing at home getting paid. Trudeau will eventually feel the pressure from the rest of the country and start pulling back

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If they can work from home they should work full-time. I'm hoping what comes out of this is the upper management realizing that WFH is not the same as "screwing off"and implementing it on a much wider basis. Good for morale, good for productivity, good for the environment.

Many players are already donating lots of money. Don't assume that just because your have a lot of money you can just give up your paychecks. It would be nice and prudent if they just paid off their house with their singing bonus and then could just live off minimum wage if they had to, but the reality is they have mortgages and car payments and other expenses that they cannot simply make go away.

As for me, since I was send employed for the last almost 3 years I don't qualify for EI. Because I wasn't at the new place the minimum 3 months I don't qualify for 2 weeks notice. But there's apparently some funds made available for self employed. I just got my special code to unlock my CRA account (no idea why it had changed to "limited access") so I'll look into that on Monday.

Weird thing is, companies are still hiring. Not as much as before, of course, but still.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sorry to hear man, hope everything works out. You would qualify for the CERB.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They are trying to throttle the traffic to the CRA site so they have special days of the week based on your birthday month (I don't think it's enforced, but my day was Thursday, so I waited until today). The first CERB period is March 15 to April 20 (4 weeks) and you are eligible to receive the $2K so long as you:
- are 15 or older
- did not receive any pay/EI for 14 days straight (they did not specify business days or calendar days but it's pretty clear they mean calendar days)
- you earned $5K or more in the previous 12 months or in 2019

In my case my last day was March 30 so it's exactly 14 business days (but as I said earlier, pretty sure it's calendar days -- either way, I'm covered)

There are other criteria bu these are the main ones. That was pretty much it. Hit next, check the "yes I promise I didn't lie" box then next again and they said they will direct deposit to my bank account in the next 3 days.

My daughter worked at Fun Haven until they shut down. If she earned $5K or more in 2019 then she would also qualify.

My son works at Tim Horton but he kept working up until last weekend, I think, not sure what his status was but he definitely made more than $5K last year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

A lot of people (students) don't qualify

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:A lot of people (students) don't qualify

Yeah I suppose. If you weren't making any money before the pandemic though, not sure why you should qualify.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And now post secondary students are eligible for $1250 a month from May to August.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum