GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+6
Lagoon
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Also, I’m fairly convinced that we will draft 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi and Raymond. We have only one European scout on our entire payroll and he was no doubt watching Raymond quite a bit. Raymond didn’t receive much playing time but it is rare for players his age to get any where he played. In case anyone was wondering, the average for NHL teams is 4 European scouts. Some teams have six. We have one, which is lowest in the league. Anders Ostberg based in Sweden is our guy. Ottawa may want to make him feel like he’s valued at some point and draft from his recommendation. Having only 1 European scout might explain why only 5 of our last 18 picks have been from EU. Only Anaheim, Calgary, Florida, Minnesota, Philly and Vegas have drafted less from overseas than Ottawa over the same metric.

don't we have a Russian scout anymore? we did for a while (not that that has translated into much Russian drafting).

it's a sad state of affair when we've gone on such an important rebuild while cheapening on our scouts.

Also, nothing stating that our scout will see Raymond as a good use of high draft picks. That's an opinion, not a guarantee.
we probably won't find out for quite a while it seems.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Lagoon wrote:Also, I’m fairly convinced that we will draft 2 of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi and Raymond. We have only one European scout on our entire payroll and he was no doubt watching Raymond quite a bit. Raymond didn’t receive much playing time but it is rare for players his age to get any where he played. In case anyone was wondering, the average for NHL teams is 4 European scouts. Some teams have six. We have one, which is lowest in the league. Anders Ostberg based in Sweden is our guy. Ottawa may want to make him feel like he’s valued at some point and draft from his recommendation. Having only 1 European scout might explain why only 5 of our last 18 picks have been from EU. Only Anaheim, Calgary, Florida, Minnesota, Philly and Vegas have drafted less from overseas than Ottawa over the same metric.

don't we have a Russian scout anymore? we did for a while (not that that has translated into much Russian drafting).

it's a sad state of affair when we've gone on such an important rebuild while cheapening on our scouts.

Also, nothing stating that our scout will see Raymond as a good use of high draft picks. That's an opinion, not a guarantee.

I'm not totally convinced that in-person scouting is as important as it used to be, but the caveat there is that you also have smart management that are delving into analytics. We don't scout and we don't do analytics. It's too bad, but of course it's all tied back to Eugene.

Oh, and I discovered something else about Eugene...remember when he promised to pay all Senators arena staff for events scheduled through, whatever it was, April or May? Well most of the arena staff are employed by Aramark, and so he didn't pay 'em a cent.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That was expected. They are not Sens employees and he didn’t promise to pay them. The Sens employees did get paid as I know an usher. It’s up to Aramark to pay the rest (frankly I don’t think they should be paid. It’s what CERB is for).

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:

No Russian scout. Just one scout to cover the rest of the world outside NA, whereas the NHL average is 4. Some teams have as many as 6. We have the lowest amount of EU scouts. Ahhhhh!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I suspect some of the part timers are making more with CERB than 1-2 nights a week when there's a game on. My daughter made around $5400 last year (not at the arena) and she's going to top that with the next payment. My oldest, who just finished his Bachelor's can only get the CESB and he can't get over it. He has a friend who works in a bakery so his job is essential. He still gets to wake up early and make les than my daughter who is just finishing high school. The system is weird.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I get the feeling an announcement will come today around 3:00.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yupp. The NHLPA vote was last night and was expected to spill over into today. I think the only misstep they are making is trying to play in both Canada and the US. I feel like the NHL needs to choose one or the other to reduce travel and mandatory quarantine.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

From what I’m hearing, they already have their majority vote. Some teams have voted against the playoff format and other aspects, but the majority has already been established with a couple teams still delaying their vote.

What is official is that 7 teams are done playing and Ottawa and San Jose are 2 of them.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yupp. The NHLPA vote was last night and was expected to spill over into today. I think the only misstep they are making is trying to play in both Canada and the US. I feel like the NHL needs to choose one or the other to reduce travel and mandatory quarantine.

I wonder if the NHL feels the need to have one site in Canada just for the symbolism more than anything.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yupp. The NHLPA vote was last night and was expected to spill over into today. I think the only misstep they are making is trying to play in both Canada and the US. I feel like the NHL needs to choose one or the other to reduce travel and mandatory quarantine.

I wonder if the NHL feels the need to have one site in Canada just for the symbolism more than anything.

Well that and we have far less cases and more stringent policies in Canada, and most of the NHL is Canadian (north of 50%). The thing is Trump is advocating for return to sports and is more likely to be supportive of measures to make it happen.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Well that and we have far less cases and more stringent policies in Canada, and most of the NHL is Canadian (north of 50%). The thing is Trump is advocating for return to sports and is more likely to be supportive of measures to make it happen.

If only the NHL had the majority of players being refugees and illegals, Trudeau would be a welcome host. I was welcomed.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

If only the NHL had the majority of players being refugees and illegals, Trudeau would be a welcome host. I was welcomed.

Let's keep politics out of here. That never goes well, and people end up leaving forever lol.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Let's keep politics out of here.  That never goes well, and people end up leaving forever lol.
Ahhhhh!

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Let's keep politics out of here.  That never goes well, and people end up leaving forever lol.

I actually edited my post after so it was clear that I was not born in Canada. Duly noted though.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I actually edited my post after so it was clear that I was not born in Canada. Duly noted though.

Aahhaah...the last time we went heavy into politics, people quit the forum, people got banned, people got hurt feelings, etc etc.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Draft lottery on June 26. That’s the original date of the draft.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Play https://media.nhl.com/site/vasset/public/attachments/2020/05/13993/NHL%20Phased%20Return%20to%20Sport%20Protocol-COMBINED-FINAL.pdf

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Draft lottery on June 26. That’s the original date of the draft.

I don't think it's been confirmed yet, but yeah, that's the rumour.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum