GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cord Cutting

+4
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've had Kodi for 2+ years. Don't have cable. I'll admit sometimes it's difficult to find good Sens feeds but aside from that, it's pretty perfect.

Yeah I had a great add-on that gave you HD hockey from most leagues, including AHL without fail but it crapped out after a couple of weeks... My son pays for NHL.Tv but I would have no problem getting my games, even if I had to settle for SportsDevil.

I'll have gone without cable for one year come May.

Sportsdevil has gone down the crapper.  Try downloading the phoenix repository, they include live sports streams as well and decent quality.

EDIT: also if you want another option which requires a subscription, try this: http://hdsports.online/live/

I've tried some of their free streams and the quality is amazing. Am contemplating signing up myself. And if all else fails, I usually just go on reddit and find a great stream there.

32Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoff-Machine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've had Kodi for 2+ years. Don't have cable. I'll admit sometimes it's difficult to find good Sens feeds but aside from that, it's pretty perfect.

Yeah I had a great add-on that gave you HD hockey from most leagues, including AHL without fail but it crapped out after a couple of weeks... My son pays for NHL.Tv but I would have no problem getting my games, even if I had to settle for SportsDevil.

Sportsdevil has gone down the crapper.  Try downloading the phoenix repository, they include live sports streams as well and decent quality.

EDIT: also if you want another option which requires a subscription, try this: http://hdsports.online/live/

I've tried some of their free streams and the quality is amazing.  Am contemplating signing up myself.  And if all else fails, I usually just go on reddit and find a great stream there.

I've had issues with Phoenix but will give it a shot. I find Castaway works well - I usually am able to find Reddit feeds through there.

33Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:26 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I thought Ooma standard was "free". I take it $4.50 is all the regulatory crap and taxes on the crap? What about US calling? We call very occasionally but whenever there is some *event* coming up (like a wedding) it could suddenly blow up.

34Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With the exception of the last few weeks, I mostly watch games on "tape delay". I take it the various deals discussed in the recent posts (Kodi, SportsDevil, etc.) aren't for that. So I'm, then, stuck with whatever NHL offers.

What are the parameters there (any free preview, what packages are available if I want to watch all Sens games -- in/out of market restrictions, etc.) A few of the Sens games will be available OTA, but likely very few.

35Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoff-Machine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I've tried some of their free streams and the quality is amazing.  Am contemplating signing up myself.  And if all else fails, I usually just go on reddit and find a great stream there.

SportsDevil is my last resort and although the picture is crap I can really count on getting a feed 100 percent of the time. mostly in the LSHunter section. Phoenix is my go-to for just about everything, movies and sports. But you need a LOT of backup plans, just in case.

I believe ProSports is a reddit scraper, I've used it once or twice but those youtube feeds keep getting taken down so I got tired of it.

The One242415 section in Phoenix is coming down, which is the best place for watching quality movie streams that I know of. Dung.

36Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoff-Machine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

SportsDevil is my last resort and although the picture is crap I can really count on getting a feed 100 percent of the time. mostly in the LSHunter section. Phoenix is my go-to for just about everything, movies and sports. But you need a LOT of backup plans, just in case.

I believe ProSports is a reddit scraper, I've used it once or twice but those youtube feeds keep getting taken down so I got tired of it.

The One242415 section in Phoenix is coming down, which is the best place for watching quality movie streams that I know of. Dung.

Exodus or One Channel for movies or tv. Can't go wrong.

37Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoff-Machine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Exodus or One Channel for movies or tv. Can't go wrong.

I personally can't stand anything that is CAM. Movies123 is good at weeding out the Dung quality too. OneChannel is where I do a "recently added" stuff and find older movies that look intriguing from time to time.

38Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:With the exception of the last few weeks, I mostly watch games on "tape delay".  I take it the various deals discussed in the recent posts (Kodi, SportsDevil, etc.) aren't for that.  So I'm, then, stuck with whatever NHL offers.  

What are the parameters there (any free preview, what packages are available if I want to watch all Sens games -- in/out of market restrictions, etc.)  A few of the Sens games will be available OTA, but likely very few.  

You can set up a PVR on your android box. How? I don't know... but you can. Cord Cutting - Page 3 852933671

39Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Installed Kodi on my phone yesterday to try it out. Not very intuitive in setting up. Watched a couple YouTube videos on how to set it up, but their interface looked different. Installed a separate app to setup Kodi. Felt I was was button-mashing just randomly installing various add-ons. Found another YoutUbe video that was a little better. About the only thing I was able to watch was YouTube stuff and Broadchurch using the Showcase add-on. With the other video sources (for TV shows or movies) no matter what I tried, I would get a progress bar that disappeared after a split second. I showed it to a friend who is a seasoned cord-cutter and he said after clicking on a particular TV show episode I should get a list of streams to pick from. All I got is the split-second progress bar.

So I ended up uninstalling the Kodi app and the setup app and starting again, from scratch, without the setup app, using the more helpful YouTube video. This time, better, I think. I actually get a list of streams, now, but no matter which I picked it either gave me an error or required authorization. And now I don't even have the Showcase addon (and have no idea how/where I found it earlier).

So far, Kodi has been a tremendous waste of time for me. But maybe that's the way it is with movies/tv -- you have to sign up for some service to get authorized. Still wondering about watching hockey. I'll see if I can find the Sens game tonight.

40Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pecking around a little more, using Phoenix, finally found movie that plays -- Galaxy Quest. Audio is a little out of synch. Downloaded subtitles and at first they were way out of synch (but after playing with the subs offset ended up having to slide it back to zero -- I guess it just takes time to catch up when first downloaded).

41Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Damn, forgot to try to see if I could catch the Sens game last night. Can you watch AHL games using some Kodi addon? Wouldn't mind checking out White's pro debut. Maybe there will be a stream.

42Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Also, I "built" my first HDTV antenna today. Had a few minutes while waiting for my kid to get ready to leave, so I took a paperclip, but it was a fairly big one and too thick to fit, so next I tried a twist-tie, stripped off the plastic coating, stuck it in, did a channel scan and, voila, 6 HDTV channels (although one was just a blank screen). Played around a bit, later in the day, now I'm down to four channels, but I get both CBC (English and French) and Global. PQ is fantastic (compared CBC to Rogers-8 and it was noticeably more detail -- should be great for the playoffs). And since "Global's Got It" I'll probably get about half the shows we are watching.

Also, read up a little more on various antenna types. Since I'm looking just for indoor (or attic) I started looking at the fractal ones (that design allows the overall size to be smaller) but apparently apart from the smaller size it really does not do better than the others.

In fact, this test shows that, at least among non-amplified ones, the simple bowtie (that you used to be able to buy art RadioShack for $4) works best. CJOH uses a VHF-Hi frequency, the rest use UHF. Since there is another CTV station that will have mostly the same content as CJOH, a UHF-only antenna is probably enough. Not sure whether amplification is needed, either. If the amplifier is not a good one (and I suspect the ones built into a $50 antenna probably aren't the best) then it could do more harm than good. My location is pretty close to both the transmission towers (Camp Fortune and Manotick) so I'm probably fine without an amp anyway.

43Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Damn, forgot to try to see if I could catch the Sens game last night.  Can you watch AHL games using some Kodi addon?  Wouldn't mind checking out White's pro debut.  Maybe there will be a stream.

Yes.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/install-made-in-canada-iptv-addon-kodi/

44Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When I tap on Made In Canada IPTV to install I don't get a notification saying it installed. Get nothing at all.

Kodi is a bit of a mess. It'll probably be a little easier with an Android TV box.

45Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:When I tap on Made In Canada IPTV to install I don't get a notification saying it installed. Get nothing at all.  

Kodi is a bit of a mess. It'll probably be a little easier with an Android TV box.

Agreed. I have no experience with Kodi on phones but it's pretty slick on the box.

46Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Paperclip on the upstairs TV gets me all 8 channels listed in the TVFool report as green (tunable with an indoor antenna). All of these are at the Camp Fortune transmitter.

I just realized something. I've been looking at the TVFool report for the new place, but I'm still at the old house. I'm about 5 miles closer to the Manotick tower at the new place. But 5 miles won't make that much of a difference (well within 30 miles of either tower in either location). Anyhow, I ran the TVFool report for my current house and, despite the Manotick transmitter actually being about 6 miles further away, those stations are listed in green (indoor mount). I am assuming Morgan's Grant elevation is a little better than Bridlewood.

Still, that means I should be able to pick up a cheap antenna at a garage sale this weekend and get CityTV and the OMNI stations. And, who knows, with an amplifier I could do even better.

47Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Paperclip on the upstairs TV gets me all 8 channels listed in the TVFool report as green (tunable with an indoor antenna).  All of these are at the Camp Fortune transmitter.  

I just realized something.  I've been looking at the TVFool report for the new place, but I'm still at the old house.  I'm about 5 miles closer to the Manotick tower at the new place.  But 5 miles won't make that much of a difference (well within 30 miles of either tower in either location).  Anyhow, I ran the TVFool report for my current house and, despite the Manotick transmitter actually being about 6 miles further away, those stations are listed in green (indoor mount).  I am assuming Morgan's Grant elevation is a little better than Bridlewood.

Still, that means I should be able to pick up a cheap antenna at a garage sale this weekend and get CityTV and the OMNI stations.  And, who knows, with an amplifier I could do even better.  

Quit stalling and cut the damn cord already!

48Cord Cutting - Page 3 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Please. This is tedious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum