GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cord Cutting

+4
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Ok, so CraveTV does *not* have HGTV shows, but HGTV.ca streams full episodes. Looks like you have to watch two ads per episode.

Ok, does anyone have experience with streaming full screen using an Android TV box or Apple TV?  

Streaming full screen?

17Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:49 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

"Streaming full screen" as in the web site has an option to go full screen and I want that on my TV. I don't there is a HGTV app for my smart TV or an Android box. With my phone and a Chromecast there are various ways, but most likely a full screen cast is required. And that usually looks pretty bad.

So I was hoping that Android TV or Apple TV had something built in to do a better job of streaming embedded content from a website to my TV.

18Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

http://cutcord.ca/getting-rid-of-cable-do-yourself-a-favour-and-get-a-tablo-seriously-it-is-worth-it/

The guy raved about this. A local company makes these (Nuvyyo on Legget). It's an OTA DVR. A unit with two runners is $280 on Amazon, and you have to add an external drive and a subscription to their guide, around $5 per month. This uses dual band wifi to stream to your screen (any screen) so you can co-locate it in the attic with your antenna to get better reception.

Not sure why you have to pay for three guide as that info is freely available via zap2it. Maybe zap2it charges for direct access (REST API or something similar). I'm sure you could write a program to scrub the web page but then any minor changes to layout will likely kill it. So that's probably it.

Interesting, still. I wonder what other options there are. Does TiVo make an OTA version?

19Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:25 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Tuvyyo announced some new h/w including an option to record to cloud storage. There are many options out there. I feel lost already.

20Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There are a few HGTV/TLC type shows available on Global, CJOH and CITY. Not a complete list, but I saw Income Property, Til Debt Do Us Part, Property Virgins, Abandoned (I think it's a property rehab type show), The Doctors (TLC type show), Canadian Pickers. Also shows like Shark Tank, Master Chef CanadaAlso on CHRO (attic-mount for antenna) there's Reno-911.

And of course there's HGTV.ca. I think that would be plenty for the wife.

21Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cord cutting us way too much hassle to save a few measley dollars

22Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

$50/month internet (25 Mbps down, unlimited).
$10/month premier Ooma service (basic is free)
$5/month EPG service for Tablo

I can't make heads or tails of NHL Gamecenter Live vs NHL Center Ice, what is available without a cable subscription, etc. But I'm hoping around $200 for the season to watch Sens games. Since I don't care about MLB, NFL, NBA that's all I need, so add another $17/month. Might be able to get away with less than that, I'll see how it goes.

So $82/month. This gets me better internet, better phone package (not that I'd get much use of it). Right now I'm paying closer to $200.

Of course I get more channels of crap, but the fact that I subscribe to Netflix tells me I'm not finding much to watch on cable.

I can rotate between Netflix, Crave, Amazon Prime, HBO (can I get that without cable?).

In terms of h/w Virgin includes the modem, but not sure if it has the wifi router built in. If not, you can get a decent one for under $100. Tablo is around $350 including a 2Tb drive. Antenna is under $100. So around $550 for everything. Pays for itself in under five months.

Savings first year $386. Savings after that, $936/year.

I'm making some assumptions, of course. Like you have a smart TV or Chromecast. If you plan on using Android TV or Apple TV you already have it.

Tablo is not the only one put there. There are cheaper boxes.

23Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:"Streaming full screen" as in the web site has an option to go full screen and I want that on my TV. I don't there is a HGTV app for my smart TV or an Android box.  With my phone and a Chromecast there are various ways, but most likely a full screen cast is required. And that usually looks pretty bad.

So I was hoping that Android TV or Apple TV had something built in to do a better job of streaming embedded content from a website to my TV.

Ok. The player goes to full screen on android boxes.

24Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's through Kodi. I don't bother streaming from web sites.

25Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What it's Kodi? Quick Google and I see references to both a box and app. Do you have an Android. TV with the Kodi app?

26Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:What it's Kodi? Quick Google and I see references to both a box and app. Do you have an Android. TV with the Kodi app?

Yes. And the add-ons within the Kodi app are used to access content. In my experience the Kodi add ons work much better than their app versions. NHL.tv is garbage as an app but stable and reliable as a Kodi add-on, for example.

27Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I've had Kodi for 2+ years. Don't have cable. I'll admit sometimes it's difficult to find good Sens feeds but aside from that, it's pretty perfect.

28Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've had Kodi for 2+ years. Don't have cable. I'll admit sometimes it's difficult to find good Sens feeds but aside from that, it's pretty perfect.

Yeah I had a great add-on that gave you HD hockey from most leagues, including AHL without fail but it crapped out after a couple of weeks... My son pays for NHL.Tv but I would have no problem getting my games, even if I had to settle for SportsDevil.

I'll have gone without cable for one year come May.

29Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Phoenix add-on seems to have most of the games but it's really hit and miss to find one that doesn't crap out part way through the game.

- Unknown Author

30Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:Ok, any experience with Ooma?  Here are some details.

Ooma Premier, $10/month, but you get 60 days of it free.

$40 free to port your number, but waived off you sign up for Premier for a year (not sure how the free 60 days apply, maybe just pay for 10 months).

I've had Ooma for over a year, works great and you don't need the Premier, the standard is fine and it's $4.50/month.

I've been using Kodi via Andoid box as well, I'm able to find the shows/movies I want without much of an issue.

31Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've had Kodi for 2+ years. Don't have cable. I'll admit sometimes it's difficult to find good Sens feeds but aside from that, it's pretty perfect.

Yeah I had a great add-on that gave you HD hockey from most leagues, including AHL without fail but it crapped out after a couple of weeks... My son pays for NHL.Tv but I would have no problem getting my games, even if I had to settle for SportsDevil.

Sportsdevil has gone down the crapper.  Try downloading the phoenix repository, they include live sports streams as well and decent quality.

EDIT: also if you want another option which requires a subscription, try this: http://hdsports.online/live/

I've tried some of their free streams and the quality is amazing. Am contemplating signing up myself. And if all else fails, I usually just go on reddit and find a great stream there.

32Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:19 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoff-Machine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Sportsdevil has gone down the crapper.  Try downloading the phoenix repository, they include live sports streams as well and decent quality.

EDIT: also if you want another option which requires a subscription, try this: http://hdsports.online/live/

I've tried some of their free streams and the quality is amazing.  Am contemplating signing up myself.  And if all else fails, I usually just go on reddit and find a great stream there.

I've had issues with Phoenix but will give it a shot. I find Castaway works well - I usually am able to find Reddit feeds through there.

33Cord Cutting - Page 2 Empty Re: Cord Cutting Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I thought Ooma standard was "free". I take it $4.50 is all the regulatory crap and taxes on the crap? What about US calling? We call very occasionally but whenever there is some *event* coming up (like a wedding) it could suddenly blow up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum