GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #69: Hawks @ Sens, Mar 16, 2017, 7:30pm

+4
PTFlea
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Preview from The Score:
OTTAWA -- Two Hart Trophy candidates will square off when the Ottawa Senators host the Chicago Blackhawks at Canadian Tire Centre on Thursday night.

In one corner, Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson. In the other, Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane.

"He's the complete package," Senators coach Guy Boucher said Wednesday of his captain, who trails only San Jose's Brent Burns in scoring by blue-liners and also leads the league in blocked shots.

Asked if Karlsson deserves Hart consideration as well as to win the Norris Trophy, Boucher was emphatic in his response.

"Oh my God, absolutely, 100 percent," he said. "With what he's done this year, the way he's done it, I can't imagine better. I just can't. Right now, it's absolutely sublime, it really is. In every aspect, leadership, on ice, off ice, he's at the core of what we're trying to do."

What the Senators (39-22-7) have done so far is become contenders for first place in the Atlantic Division, trailing only the Montreal Canadiens by one point with two games in hand. Last year they missed the playoffs by 11 points.

Meanwhile, with a goal and two assists in Tuesday's 4-2 win over the Canadiens that bumped Chicago (44-20-5) past the Minnesota Wild and into first in the Central Division, Kane moved himself into a tie for the NHL scoring lead with 76 points.

In the last nine games, he has 11 goals and 16 points.

After Wednesday's practice at Canadian Tire Centre, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was asked if Kane is playing better than he did last season, when he won the Hart.

"I see Kaner every single year get a little bit better," said Quenneville. "He gets a little bit faster, quicker, he gets the puck, he demands the puck, and once he has it, he does so many good things with it. He's shooting the puck as good as he ever as too."

The Blackhawks have learned they will be without center Artem Anisimov for 3-4 weeks with a lower body injury he suffered in Montreal. It's hoped that Anisimov, who was having a career year with 45 points, will be back before Chicago plays its regular season finale on April. 8.

Nick Schmaltz is expected to move into his spot between Kane and Artemi Panarin on the first line. Former third round pick John Hayden is expected to make his NHL debut in Ottawa, likely starting the game as a winger for Jonathan Toews.

The Senators said on Wednesday that a lower body injury suffered by goalie Craig Anderson will keep him out of the lineup for a second straight game, but is not serious. Anderson skated before the team's practice and is considered day-to-day.

Mike Condon will start in goal for Ottawa on Thursday. Condon made 23 saves when the Senators defeated the Blackhawks 4-3 in Chicago on Dec. 20, the only meeting between the teams this season.

The teams split in 2015-16, with the Senators scoring a 4-3 overtime victory in Ottawa.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sounds like these teams like a 4-3 score. Anisimov out 3-4 weeks. The top line still has Kane and Panarin but Anisimov was the center.

Last edited by wprager on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Pyatt and Hoffman will have to have a huge game to keep Kane and Panarin of the scoresheet. Schmaltz is a rookie, 20 points in 48 games. 30% in face offs, Pageau will have to take advantage of that.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I really don't like Hoffman on that 3rd line. I get that they want to spread out scoring but I feel as though he was gelling with Burrows and Brassard. I think Smith should be playing with Pageau and Pyatt for a speedy shutdown line, and when Stone comes back I'd consider moving Ryan to L4 with Stalberg and Wingels.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I really don't like Hoffman on that 3rd line. I get that they want to spread out scoring but I feel as though he was gelling with Burrows and Brassard. I think Smith should be playing with Pageau and Pyatt for a speedy shutdown line, and when Stone comes back I'd consider moving Ryan to L4 with Stalberg and Wingels.

Agreed. Smith is much better, defensively, than Hoffman. He also has terrific chemistry with Pageau on the PK. Couple minor issues, Pyatt and Smith are both LHS so one of them would have to play their wrong side. Similarly Burrows and Hoffman are both LHS, although Burrows, apparently, prefers playing left-wing. But Brassard is *also* a leftie -- can you get away with an all-left-hand-shooting top line? I guess with Stone out you have fewer choices.

Hoffman-Brassard-Burrows (LLL)
Dzingel-Turris-Ryan (LRR)
Pyatt-Pageau-Smith (RRR)
Stalberg-Kelly-Wingels (LLR)

It also means the top two lines only have one "natural" center (although Hoffman had been taking faceoffs for Turris when together, like on the PP or in OT).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Craig Anderson once had hair and played for the Blackhawks.

https://twitter.com/JamesMBridges/status/841999052631887873

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Tough game tonight, folks. Hopefully Condon saved some magic for it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Boucher will have them ready

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Craig Anderson once had hair and played for the Blackhawks.

https://twitter.com/JamesMBridges/status/841999052631887873

That's awesome.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Darling to start. He and Condon go back: https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-sparks-condon-darling-form-bond/c-793164

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Was offered a ticket in 104 but had to turn it down.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wideman had the puck in a good shooting space and passed it across the ice to Ryan. Not looking good for 90%.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pretty good first period by our MIGHTY SENASNORES!!! Condon looking sharp. We sure miss Stone out there though....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Leafs trolling the Sens by taking a 3-0 lead on Tampa. Guess the Bolts are finally tired?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Man, what was Brassard thinking about???!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum