GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #48: Sens @ Panthers, Jan 31, 2017, 7:30pm

+2
tim1_2
wprager
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Senators end the month of January and start the unofficial second half of the season facing a very different set of opponents than they encountered for most of 2017. 9 of the 10 teams the Sens played to-date in January (hence 2017) have been playoff bound teams. 7 of their next 8 will be against teams on the outside looking in (I am assuming the Leafs will be back ahead of Boston by the time they meet up, otherwise those numbers could go up). They did well against the teams ahead of them, lost in OT to Calgary (which temporarily climbed back into a wildcard spot with that win); let's see if they can continue getting points against the lower teams.

Craig Anderson has rejoined the team and is targeting Feb. 7 (return from road trip) for his first game back. Condon will tie a Senators record with his 25th straight appearance tonight, and likely set a new one on Thursday in Tampa.

Sens sit 7 back of Montreal for the Atlantic lead, holding 3 games in hand. Montreal should be getting Markov and Desharnais back but Galchenyuk re-injured his knee. Their pre-deadline pickup (Nesterov) is not expected to make a huge impact (not like Wingels and his goal-per-game pace wearing the Centurion). Both teams are looking to make more changes.

While 2nd in the Division is a great place to be, the Sens are still only 3 points up on the 9th place team. Now's the time to pick up more points against the lower-seeded teams so that when the roster goes up to 23 they can afford a little rest to the team's top players. 35 games in 69 nights is going to be a brutal stretch.

Lineup changes?
Borowiecki should be well over the bout with the flu that kept him out of the last 5 games. But even if he is ready to return, how does Boucher take out "Ready" Freddy Claesson, who has played very well in Borocop's absence? Up-front, Wingles will remain in the lineup so either Neil is scratched a second time or Lazar finally gets the "rest" he deserves. My guess is that Boucher has already told Neil that he will get a number of games in a row, so Lazar is likely to continue to play, but his leash must be getting really short. #27 has played 27 games with just one assist to show for it.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It was supposed to be Reimer for Florida tonight, but it sounds like his wife's having a baby, so Luongo will likely start.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, April is about to hatch.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Senatores are the slight Bodog underdog at +105.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting. What does Ev say? If Lou starts (his numbers are much worse than Reimer's) does that change things? Still no Huberdeau or Barkov.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hmmm...well...I put some cold hard cash down on our mighty Senasnores tonight, so consider them doomed (although my bet on Federer this past weekend paid off nicely).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Claesson starts in the lineup. Lazar and Boro scratched. Neil draws back in.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lazar getting benched is probably a good thing

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm all for it. When Neil was scratched it was like an open invitation for Lazar to prove it was the right decision. He generated two hits and a blocked shot and, honestly, I don't remember a single shift of his. Not that Wingels stood out much, either, but he did manage to score a goal.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's the thing...even with limited minutes and medicore linemates, you need to find a way to earn more ice time if you want to be more than a 4th liner. I think we can all accept that's what Neil is, but Lazar is just playing with zero confidence. He's been given the opportunity to regain that confidence, whether it was here or in Bingo, and it just seems like there's a wall there. The only thing I can think of that could legitimately help is a sports psychologist.

Anyway, I'm happy to see Neil back in. Let's not forget we lost the game he sat out (Neil = Win). It's too bad for Boro to have to sit out, but it's the right call especially against a team like Florida that's not overly physical.

Just. Win.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Important for the Sens to keep in mind that the Panthers are not technically or mathematically out of it. They are 4 points back of Philly for the last wildcard spot; both have played 50 games. Boston is 3rd in the Atlantic, a single point up on the Leafs, but with 5 games in hand it's pretty much a given that Boston will soon be fighting for that last wildcard spot. Right now they have 56 points, the same as the Flyers, but have played two more games. So if you assume that the games in hand count for a single point, the Panthers are two points back of Boston and four back of Philly.

In other words, far from a lost cause. So it's up to the Sens to put the boot down on their necks.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Too much thought and math...just say Florida's still in the mix and they aren't a push over.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Crush that mullet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So the Reimers named their daughter Nevaeh. That's"heaven" spelled backwards.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Can anybody tell me what's wrong with mendes? Hes Been speaking like Elmer Fudd al preshow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum