GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

OT: Anyone like Prog Rock?

+6
wprager
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
spader
tim1_2
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

16OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:CHEZ 106 ruined Pink Floyd for me. Playing over and over and over again... And the same few songs from PF, at that. Never having the guts to mix it up. I switch the dial when PF comes on now.

Anywho. Prog is OK. I like Supertramp I've always liked and I would pay to see Roger Hodgson.

But it's hard rock and metal that I dig the most.

ALL HAIL DAVE MUSTAINE!!!!

Roger's coming to the NAC in December, I believe.

17OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Less Paul. More John. Right?

18OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:CHEZ 106 ruined Pink Floyd for me. Playing over and over and over again... And the same few songs from PF, at that. Never having the guts to mix it up. I switch the dial when PF comes on now.

Anywho. Prog is OK. I like Supertramp I've always liked and I would pay to see Roger Hodgson.

But it's hard rock and metal that I dig the most.

ALL HAIL DAVE MUSTAINE!!!!

The plan so far is im going to sweden this summer for 4 days. Sweden rock fest. Only 22 bands announced so far but if you look at past years its the mother of all summer metal and rock festival!
http://www.swedenrock.com/en/

19OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:19 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:No.

Not even Marillion?

20OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:53 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Time to chatter some dreams.
Ssf, there is no such things as dave mustaine...

OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Image10

21OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

More like Dave Musty-Mane, #amirite?

22OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Not even Marillion?

Not even the Silmarillion.

23OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Time to chatter some dreams.
Ssf, there is no such things as dave mustaine...

OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Image10

It's not just the looks, it's the personality too. Laughing3

24OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:51 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not even Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe?

25OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Not even Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe?

That's pretty obscure... Ahhhhh!

26OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:50 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

does rock lobstar count as prog rock?

27OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:does rock lobstar count as prog rock?

By the B52s? Diddle no!

28OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

No. You might want to check out the prog stylings of Captain Beyond.

Or the prog-metal of Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King." This band was the genesis for the world famous Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

more to come

29OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:

By the B52s?  Diddle no!

How do we know he wasn't being sarcastic? I love me some B52s (used to have an Afghan Hound that would start howling uncontrollably every time Planet Claire came on -- it was truly hilarious) but that's party rock. Progressive is definitely for listening. Preferably while lying down. Somewhere dark.

30OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:40 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

the peter griffin version of rock lobster could pass. but yeah I was being sarcastic, good thing prags is around to see it. My backup was to ask if Gwar was prog rock or not.....

Genesis was the shiznit.

31OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:17 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

32OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

My wife likes Gabriel, but I was more into Phil Collins. Loved his drum sound (gated reverb). Don't Care Anymore and that whole album (Hello I must be Going) was great. Then he went mainstream with fluff like Sussudio and then his weird Disney affiliation (affliction?) Oh, well.

33OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? - Page 2 Empty Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock? Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Don't listen much to Prog Rock but Peter Gabriel is my man.

My wife likes Gabriel, but I was more into Phil Collins.  Loved his drum sound (gated reverb).  Don't Care Anymore and that whole album (Hello I must be Going) was great.  Then he went mainstream with fluff like Sussudio and then his weird Disney affiliation (affliction?)  Oh, well.

Phil Collins at his best behind the kit was in the 70s without question. Not sure how much you follow Collins/Genesis, but if you can't get into the Genesis where Peter Gabriel fronted the band, then check out A Trick of the Tail for a more 'accessible' Genesis and for amazing drum work by Collins.

It wasn't just Collins that went towards pop/rock or just flat out pop, it was a sign o' the times. A lot of bands tried to change over from weird prog rock to a softer sound, but the reality was that Collins and Genesis just happened to do it better than 99.9% of them. IMHO Invisible Touch and Genesis self-titled are two fantastically written pop albums, very few wasted tracks on either of those albums, but some fans would simple never forgive them for going from being a top 5 prog rock act (featuring Gabriel dressed like a fox in a woman's dress) to the bubble gum pop that they would become in the 80s.

Also, the Tarzan soundtrack featured some killer drumming. Especially Two Worlds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum