GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

+3
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Classic Rock Prog Mag has named the top progressive rock albums of all time.

This is a celebration of a time in music where the landscape was changing violently and quickly. The albums became incredibly influential - and the groups became living legends.

Top 4 Progressive Rock Albums:

1.Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
2.Yes - Close to the Edge
3.Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
4.Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Years later, bands are still influenced by these four albums and three groups. You don't need to go farther than rock stations to figure that out.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I can't argue with that list. Frankly, though, Chez106 has turned me off Pink Floyd for good.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:I can't argue with that list. Frankly, though, Chez106 has turned me off Pink Floyd for good.

They play them too much you mean?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Where's PJ?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Where are the Beatles?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:Where's PJ?
HA HA! You must be young...

Where's The Velvet Underground? Led Zeppelin? Sex Pistols? Hendrix? Dylan? Beatles? Bowie?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Where are the Beatles?

Not in the top 4, I'm actually not sure which Beatles album would be considered Progressive Rock to be honest. Revolver perhaps.

Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and reached its peak of popularity in the mid 1970s.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rock n roll and prog rock have serious differences.

Pearl Jam is my 2nd favourite rock band behind Zep, but they're not prog.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lets ask Clouston Wink

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

5.Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
6.Genesis - Foxtrot
7.King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
8.Pink Floyd - Animals
9.King Crimson - Red
10.Rush - Moving Pictures (yeah! Rockon )
11.Yes - Fragile
12.Genesis - Nursery Cryme
13.Yes - Relayer
14.Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison
15.Rush - Hemispheres

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Where are the Beatles?

Not in the top 4, I'm actually not sure which Beatles album would be considered Progressive Rock to be honest. Revolver perhaps.

Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and reached its peak of popularity in the mid 1970s.
Interesting...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

504Heater wrote:

Rock n roll and prog rock have serious differences.

Pearl Jam is my 2nd favourite rock band behind Zep, but they're not prog.

I still don't know what prog is...

So, Genesis are not considered a rock band?

Zep isn't prog etiher?

Is it kind of like grunge of the 60's-70's?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
I still don't know what prog is...

So, Genesis are not considered a rock band?

Zep isn't prog etiher?

Is it kind of like grunge of the 60's-70's?

It's definitely a different kind of rock music for sure. I'm surprised that Zep isn't in there, but they're more of the classic rock and roll I guess.

Radiohead is a good example of a Prop Rock group. The ambient sounds, kinda techno in parts, symphonies, weird, fantasy-esque lyrics etc.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I can't argue with that list. Frankly, though, Chez106 has turned me off Pink Floyd for good.

They play them too much you mean?

I don't know how they fit in other music in between Pink Floyd and Tragically Hip.
So yeah, too much.

See Emily Play is still Pink Floyds best song.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:[
I don't know how they fit in other music in between Pink Floyd and Tragically Hip.
So yeah, too much.

See Emily Play is still Pink Floyds best song.

Yeah, Mel and I love the stuff from Relics. Fun, cool and usually kinda short.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum