GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

+3
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, when I think of "rock" I certainly don't think of Prog Rock as described here... I think of the following:

http://classicrock.about.com/od/recommendationsandreviews/a/top100_bands.htm

Classic Rock...

cool)

Delicious. I might argue with the rankings of some of the bands, but a pretty fine diddling list. cool)
Great list. Really sums up rock in a nutshell as far as I'm concerned.

I also find it funny that "Boston" appears right before "Cream".

Boston Cream.

Heh heh.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:French-canadian group. I thought they were more folk than anything. After further reading, I see they turned into a pretty special prog group. Neat.

Hmmm...I'll have to check one of their discs out. It figures that the best Canadian Prog comes out of Quebec - they're the best at recognizing and celebrating prog bands like Genesis and Floyd before they were huge.

This is true. CHOM was a big booster of the prog.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If anyone wants to know what Prog Rock actually looks and sounds like, this would be it:

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:Well, when I think of "rock" I certainly don't think of Prog Rock as described here... I think of the following:

http://classicrock.about.com/od/recommendationsandreviews/a/top100_bands.htm

Classic Rock...

cool)

Maybe I'm too young, but there are only about 4 albums there that I'd buy.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's is also a favourite of mine...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'm looking forward to The Beatles:RockBand! That will be sweet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Had not heard of that until now... interesting.

robertdean

Prospect
Prospect

Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Cream, ELP, Yes, Steely Dan, Rush, Santana, Clapton, Just to name a few

http://www.rollerhockey411.com

Rush is probably my favourite rock band of all time( i usually listen to country). Neil Peart is one of the greatest writers in history.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Had not heard of that until now... interesting.

September 9. There are rumours of unreleased tracks being part of the game. New controllers include Paul's iconic Höfner bass.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SensGirl11 wrote:There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!
Pearl Jam lost me when they released "No Code"... "Ten" and "Vs" were unbelievable albums... "Vitalogy" was interesting but they took a path that I didn't want to follow when they released "No Code" and lost me. Bands need to adjust and change over time, I get that, and U2 have done it very well, but for some reason, Peal Jam's adjustments didn't sit with me. It is what it is...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!
Pearl Jam lost me when they released "No Code"... "Ten" and "Vs" were unbelievable albums... "Vitalogy" was interesting but they took a path that I didn't want to follow when they released "No Code" and lost me. Bands need to adjust and change over time, I get that, and U2 have done it very well, but for some reason, Peal Jam's adjustments didn't sit with me. It is what it is...

Exactly the same for me regarding Pearl Jam. Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album. They kicked Donkey playing Who songs on the MTV though.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album.
It can only be found on "Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams" IIRC.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album.
It can only be found on "Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams" IIRC.

Correct. I can't remember if I ever bought that one.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I can't argue with that list. Frankly, though, Chez106 has turned me off Pink Floyd for good.

They play them too much you mean?

I don't know how they fit in other music in between Pink Floyd and Tragically Hip.
So yeah, too much.

See Emily Play is still Pink Floyds best song.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and, Saucer Full of Secrets are the only Floyd albums worth listening to, IMO. Dark Side of the Moon has to be the most overrated album ever. CHEZ has a lot to do with my dislike for that album, too. But in general, Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett is boring.

Nice to see King Crimson get some recognition though. Kind of surprised the album Discipline wasn't in the top 10, but the album Red is Prog Rock through and through.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum