GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Blue Jays Talk

+8
dennycrane
spader
asq2
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 19]

76Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Alex knew they could catch at least a wildcard, so he went out and bolstered an already decent lineup - and the thing that he did the best was not acquire rentals. Price, Hawkins and Lowe are the only rentals. Donladson, Tulo, Revere, Travis, Saunders are all pieces he acquired this year that are here long term (if we choose).

Again, we're trotting out the same lineup next year, but hopefully with our ace back and healthy. We lose Price, but there was always a longshot chance in us signing him, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if he re-signs actually. He has options, but LA spending another near 30 million for a pitcher is plain silly, especially when they already have an ace with a crappy record in the post-season and if the Jays offer him market value, this is pretty much the most fun lineup you could pitch for.

Jays are set for years and years. A couple of trades, a couple of new pitchers to round things out and we're right back next year, ready to take another shot.

77Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lol Harold Reynolds

78Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:22 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Alex knew they could catch at least a wildcard, so he went out and bolstered an already decent lineup - and the thing that he did the best was not acquire rentals.  Price, Hawkins and Lowe are the only rentals.  Donladson, Tulo, Revere, Travis, Saunders are all pieces he acquired this year that are here long term (if we choose).  

Again, we're trotting out the same lineup next year, but hopefully with our ace back and healthy.  We lose Price, but there was always a longshot chance in us signing him, although  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he re-signs actually.  He has options, but LA spending another near 30 million for a pitcher is plain silly, especially when they already have an ace with a crappy record in the post-season and if the Jays offer him market value, this is pretty much the most fun lineup you could pitch for.

Jays are set for years and years.  A couple of trades, a couple of new pitchers to round things out and we're right back next year, ready to take another shot.

No team is set for years and years without the cap in place. If Toronto is not willing to spend more (due to the tax implications) than the Yankees and Red Socks and other big-city teams then they will lose their free agents. And they gave up a lot of their prospects in these trades. I don't know how this will turn out but to say that they are set for years and years is certainly far from a certainty.

79Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Depends on how much they want to spend. They have a lot of players signed long-term or under control, most importantly Stroman, Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, Travis, Goins, pillar, osuna, Revere.

Lots of youth and quality players for the foreseeable future. Then they can trade either bautista or EE if they feel they need to.

80Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:58 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The dickey trade looks terrible now, and at the time was terrible as well.

81Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You can go through any trades a gm makes and find a bad one. Dickey was good in the second half, so at least we got that

82Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't get to see/follow any of the game today. Why was Dickey taken out before he got 5 inning in? I take it Price took the win even though he came in when they had a 6 run lead and it was down to 4 when he left.

83Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently I'm not the only one wondering:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/toronto-blue-jays-david-price-game-4-alds-texas-rangers

So I take it there was no injury. Odd. Maybe he didn't want to risk Price start the crucial game 5? Or he wants to keep Dickey available for a relief appearance (a knuckleball pitcher can probably throw a few innings on two days' rest after only pitching five).

84Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Apparently I'm not the only one wondering:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/toronto-blue-jays-david-price-game-4-alds-texas-rangers

So I take it there was no injury.  Odd.  Maybe he didn't want to risk Price start the crucial game 5?  Or he wants to keep Dickey available for a relief appearance (a knuckleball pitcher can probably throw a few innings on two days' rest after only pitching five).

I think it was both. Stroman throws hard, so if the plan is to start him in Game 5 and then bring n the crazy knuckleballer out of the bullpen in a short relief appearance, that could work in throwing off hitters' timing (95mph fastball to 75mph knuckler).

I think Price knew he was coming in for a lengthy relief appearance today...his playoff numbers are not great. It was the ideal situation to use Price yesterday, where he can maybe get a bit of playoff confidence and at the same time the game wasn't really on the line. I don't think we'll see him in Game 5 at all, but that's not an issue considering he hasn't been very good.

85Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cecil is out for the year, so we only have Loup as a left handed reliever. Price is literally the only option coming out of the pen vs lefties. Unfortunately the Rangers are a mostly left handed lineup that hit lefties well - and they hit Price specifically well for some reason.

Gibbons pulled Dickey with one out to go in the 5th, so he didn't qualify for the win. A little silly for sure, but no one really cares about stats and wins right now. Gibbons said the knuckle was starting to flatten out and Choo had already hit Dickey hard, so he made the move.

I don't think I'd bring out Price again unless we advance. Texas hits him too hard.

86Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cherry said that the Jays got jobbed by MLB in several ways. One was that they didn't let them open the dome. Is that correct? Does the ball fly farther with the roof opened? Toronto led the majors in homeruns so, yes, if the ball carries better with an open roof, that would have been an advantage to Toronto.

Forecast for Wednesday is 13 (55 Foreignheat); that's colder than last week. So I assume roof stays closed. But I also think that the ball would carry better if they keep the temperature (indoors) around 20, versus the 13 it would be with the roof open.

87Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, the MLB told them to close the dome. No idea why, would it not be the same conditions for both teams? Anyway, whatever, let's just do this.

88Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hopefully Stroman isn't over-amped, and dials things in. This is gonna be a great game 5.

89Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, the MLB told them to close the dome.  No idea why, would it not be the same conditions for both teams?  Anyway, whatever, let's just do this.

Ever since Bryant Gumbel did the Expos home opener pre-game bit holding his NBC microphone with giant snowmobile-type winter gloves the MLB has had a hate-on for Canadian weather. We've had snow on the field in Colorado, Boston and probably other places, but they never bring that up.

90Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Hopefully Stroman isn't over-amped, and dials things in.  This is gonna be a great game 5.

Agreed. He needs to relax and let his stuff do the talking. The first inning might be key...for both Stroman and our hitters.

wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, the MLB told them to close the dome.  No idea why, would it not be the same conditions for both teams?  Anyway, whatever, let's just do this.

Ever since Bryant Gumbel did the Expos home opener pre-game bit holding his NBC microphone with giant snowmobile-type winter gloves the MLB has had a hate-on for Canadian weather.  We've had snow on the field in Colorado, Boston and probably other places, but they never bring that up.

They can kiss our arse.

91Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:59 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This. Is. It.

I'm taking off from work early just to watch it. Don't disappoint me, Blue Jays!

92Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Somebodys gonna charge stroman one day for not keeping his ego in check

93Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have never in my life EVER seen anything like that. What a Cussed up crazy inning that was. That will be remembered for a long time if they win

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum