GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

KHL amps up rhetoric

+2
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1KHL amps up rhetoric Empty KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:06 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Still no word on the Radulov ruling, but if Larry Brooks's recent NYPost article is any indication, the KHL is preparing to go to all-out war with the NHL in the 2009-10 season by holding its own universal draft -- which, unprecedentedly, is to include NHL players still under contract:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08152008/sports/sportsshorts/nhl_losing_on_radulov_124543.htm

2KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wow. Things are gonna get nasty.

- Unknown Author

3KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:26 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Wow. Things are gonna get nasty.

Ban all players involved from the NHL for a minimum of 5 years.

4KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:

It may come to something like that. Regardless, even if it doesn't, how does this affect Meszaros' stance? If the rumours are true (of him wanting to play in the NHL, and using KHL only as leverage), should he cave now and avoid retribution later? I would.

5KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:19 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, can the new CBA include a penalty clause for breaking a contract under specific circumstances? If the KHL is willing to offer $1M bribes to break an existing contract, then shouldn't the little lawyer be able to figure out a clause to counter that? Not this year, sure, but for the next CBA? Of course the owners would need to take one for the team as well (i.e. different buyout rules).

6KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
504Heater wrote:

It may come to something like that. Regardless, even if it doesn't, how does this affect Meszaros' stance? If the rumours are true (of him wanting to play in the NHL, and using KHL only as leverage), should he cave now and avoid retribution later? I would.

Maybe it doesn't mean much to him, but if it was me, I'd want a fruitful future in the NHL, not the RHL or KHL or whatever. What do they play for? The Vodka Cup?

7KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="504Heater"]
wprager wrote:
Maybe it doesn't mean much to him, but if it was me, I'd want a fruitful future in the NHL, not the RHL or KHL or whatever. What do they play for? The Vodka Cup?

Never underestimate the power of the $$$ on a young man who loves to party. Their season is short, so he'd have more time to "play" in the off-season.

8KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

[quote="wprager"]
504Heater wrote:
wprager wrote:

Never underestimate the power of the $$$ on a young man who loves to party. Their season is short, so he'd have more time to "play" in the off-season.

Very true Wprager. Also BTW 504Heater just passed you in posts as second most active poster.

- Unknown Author

9KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Very true Wprager. Also BTW 504Heater just passed you in posts as second most active poster.

Actually he'd passed me a little while back (I was offline for quite a while), and we've been neck-and-neck for a while. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm starting a new job Monday, so my stats will go down.

10KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:06 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Still no word on the Radulov ruling, but if Larry Brooks's recent NYPost article is any indication, the KHL is preparing to go to all-out war with the NHL in the 2009-10 season by holding its own universal draft -- which, unprecedentedly, is to include NHL players still under contract:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08152008/sports/sportsshorts/nhl_losing_on_radulov_124543.htm

They'll get crushed by the NHL and IIHF. If players want to go over there, and then the IIHF steps in and says no participation in international events, then those guys are going to start thinking twice about the move they want to make.

11KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:
They'll get crushed by the NHL and IIHF. If players want to go over there, and then the IIHF steps in and says no participation in international events, then those guys are going to start thinking twice about the move they want to make.

I thought at least North American (NHL) players did not get compensation for international events; not sure about Europeans or junior players. If a player would rather get more money to play in the KHL, than to get a shot at the Stanley Cup, then what are the chances that same type of player gets influence by whether or not he can represent his country at international events?

12KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:00 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
PKC wrote:

I thought at least North American (NHL) players did not get compensation for international events; not sure about Europeans or junior players. If a player would rather get more money to play in the KHL, than to get a shot at the Stanley Cup, then what are the chances that same type of player gets influence by whether or not he can represent his country at international events?

I don't know. But use Meszaros as an example since he's a starting defenseman for his national team. I'm almost positive that playing international competition (Olympics, World Championships, etc...) is huge for him. He'd probably get pressured by his country for choosing more money over international eligibility. But, again, I don't know.

13KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:05 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I can't imagine that there aren't some sort of "perks" that go along with being on the national team. I'm sure that the teams find ways of compensating their players adequately, so that they have enough incentive to cut into their time off.

14KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:07 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:I can't imagine that there aren't some sort of "perks" that go along with being on the national team. I'm sure that the teams find ways of compensating their players adequately, so that they have enough incentive to cut into their time off.

I'm not a professional athlete, but my incentive would be pride. How many kids here in Canada dream of playing in a gold-medal game at the Olympics?

15KHL amps up rhetoric Empty Re: KHL amps up rhetoric Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
Acrobat wrote:I can't imagine that there aren't some sort of "perks" that go along with being on the national team. I'm sure that the teams find ways of compensating their players adequately, so that they have enough incentive to cut into their time off.

I'm not a professional athlete, but my incentive would be pride. How many kids here in Canada dream of playing in a gold-medal game at the Olympics?

That's you. I agree with you, and I'd say eighty percent of athletes are like that, but definitely not 100%.

Look at the NHL All-Star Game (unpaid - minimal compensation, some non-NA players are starting to say "no") or the MLB All-Star Game (same thing, several players have declined, some openly stating that they would go if they were being paid).

For most, there is the pride of achievement and success in competition. For some, there is only the pride from attainment of material goods. (Wow, did that ever sound like a sermon...)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum