GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

REDBLACKS

+6
SensHulk
shabbs
PTFlea
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Ev
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:34 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

At first the name bugged me but it is growing on me. Slowly.

32REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:Worst name ever.

Yeah, why is "Redskins" and "Braves" offensive and not RedBlacks?  By the way, what of "Chiefs" -- I've heard that word used plenty in a derogatory way.

P.S. Did Stephen Fry really actually say this?

REDBLACKS - Page 3 Brykr4HIUAAkfIS

"Redskins" is racially charged. "Redblacks" is not.

33REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:11 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

When the team was formed, the name Redskins had no negative connotations (same as Chiefs, Blackhawks, and so on). I have *never* heard anyone call a Native American "redskin" (I had a few friends living in Chateaugay, so I spent a bit of time there and heard plenty of other disparaging remarks, just not "redskin"). I'm not sure at what point in time this word took on a negative connotation -- it wasn't at its inception, and I haven't heard it in use since then. Maybe it's different in the US.

34REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:21 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:When the team was formed, the name Redskins had no negative connotations (same as Chiefs, Blackhawks, and so on).  I have *never* heard anyone call a Native American "redskin" (I had a few friends living in Chateaugay, so I spent a bit of time there and heard plenty of other disparaging remarks, just not "redskin").  I'm not sure at what point in time this word took on a negative connotation -- it wasn't at its inception, and I haven't heard it in use since then.  Maybe it's different in the US.

Sorry, no. It's always had that connotation. It would be like calling a team the Ottawa Slant Eyes. Whether you heard it or not doesn't change the fact that this term has been in use for literally hundreds of years and has never been anything but negative.

As a general rule, using an adjective that points out a physical feature of a people as a noun (like "darkie" or "hooknose") is poor form. I've never heard anyone called hooknose personally. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a terrible connotation though.

35REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ottawa Slant Eyes wouldn't make sense. Vancouver Slant Eyes is better

36REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

How did I know you would have something to say on the matter?

37REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:38 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What does that mean?

Sorry, I'm not overly sensitive to these things. I like a good racial joke every now and then.

Do I agree with naming a team Redskins today? No, but it was named years ago and has serious tradition. Personally I wouldn't have changed it. I also think naming your team after a group of people is an honour, they're not being disrespectful.

What's the difference between Redskins and Canucks?

38REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:What does that mean?

Sorry, I'm not overly sensitive to these things. I like a good racial joke every now and then.

Do I agree with naming a team Redskins today? No, but it was named years ago and has serious tradition. Personally I wouldn't have changed it. I also think naming your team after a group of people is an honour, they're not being disrespectful.

What's the difference between Redskins and Canucks?

The difference is that one term is used as a racial slur. The Seminoles are named for a people. The naming was done respectfully (they asked permission). You must see the difference between using the actual name and using a racial slur.

This article does a good job of pointing out the problem: http://www.theonion.com/articles/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-teams-offens,34292/

39REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:15 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Agreed that there is a difference there, but I don't know, I guess I side more with tradition.

40REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I think what you aren't realizing is that the term has a much longer tradition of being a racial slur than the team name has.

41REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Indians called the settlers White Man and I'm sure that was not meant in disrespect. Like REDACTED said, naming a team after a certain person/race/tribe/whatever is a huge sign of respect. This isn't the Washington Generals (a joke team).

42REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The Indians called the settlers White Man and I'm sure that was not meant in disrespect.  Like REDACTED said, naming a team after a certain person/race/tribe/whatever is a huge sign of respect.  This isn't the Washington Generals (a joke team).  

Naming a team the N-Words would be similar. If you think that's an honour, more power to you. There is no race called the redskins. The team took a racial slur and used it as a name. Like it or not, that's what happened. I was proud to play for the Barrhaven Redskins as a kid. I'm far more proud that they've changed the name. As a white person living in a FN community, I watched that unfold and many of my students were quite pleased that they made the change. Some didn't care. That's their call to make.

This is the last I'll say about it. We don't have to agree.

highjack 

43REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How about them RedBlacks?

44REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mmmmm...

REDBLACKS - Page 3 Redhotdogs

45REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:The Indians called the settlers White Man and I'm sure that was not meant in disrespect.  Like REDACTED said, naming a team after a certain person/race/tribe/whatever is a huge sign of respect.  This isn't the Washington Generals (a joke team).  

Naming a team the N-Words would be similar. If you think that's an honour, more power to you. There is no race called the redskins. The team took a racial slur and used it as a name. Like it or not, that's what happened. I was proud to play for the Barrhaven Redskins as a kid. I'm far more proud that they've changed the name. As a white person living in a FN community, I watched that unfold and many of my students were quite pleased that they made the change. Some didn't care. That's their call to make.

This is the last I'll say about it. We don't have to agree.

highjack 

Have you seen the wire? Of course it would be!

46REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

C'mon boys.

47REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens win!

48REDBLACKS - Page 3 Empty Re: REDBLACKS Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Sens win!

Phew, finally. If they had gone 0-3 that would have been close to disastrous. But the Argos were missing quite a few players, and this was soooo close.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum