GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Android tablet as media server

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Android sux.

32Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Android sux.

Umm, ok, so what's the solution?

Also, I have no trouble seeing the files using the Android app; it's the Windows Explorer that's having issues.

33Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You won't be saying that when Android "Big Turk" comes out.

34Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That will only be available in Quebec, though.

35Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Could have something to do with scanning these files. Not sure who scans - my laptop or the tablet, but it may have something to do with that.

Others have reported the issue, haven't seen a resolution, only possible suggestions, and recommendations to use Air Android.

36Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

Umm, ok, so what's the solution?
No idea.

37Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:

You won't be saying that when Android "Big Turk" comes out.
After Android "Kit Kat"... Android Wunderbar! And for Canada only... Android Coffee Crisp. Yes.

38Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And let's not forget Android Halvah for the Middle-Eastern markets.

39Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, so following some googled advice I re-started the tablet, left it alone for a while charging, then checked again and the two files missing were finally there.

I think I'll be getting AirDroid, though.  Having to always hook it up is a pain, and transfer speeds are atrocious.  I was plugging the tablet in one USB and the USB drive into another, and copying file directly -- very, very slow.  Likely faster if I copy them twice -- from tablet to the desktop, then from there to the USB drive.

40Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This article talks about two similar apps -- iMediaShare and Twonky Beam. The first one comes in a lite (free) and full ($4.99) version; the full version removes ads and lets you stream HD conent. Twonky Beam is all free. Both let you stream to your UPnP/DLNA devices and use the tablet/phone as the remote, or use your device's controls. I don't know enough yet to figure out which side does the rendering -- if the rendering is done on the tablet/phone then my subtitles issue is resolved.

41Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, that was quite interesting -- the girls are playing Sims on the PS3 (connected to the main tv) but I was able to start streaming a show I had downloaded on the tablet using Twonky Beam. They were quiet distressed about it -- I didn't have to touch anything on the TV; the app found the DLNA client (my tv) on the home wifi and streamed the content to it, even though the TV was already in use.

Now, I still don't know about subtitles. The app balked at beaming Mary Poppins (saying the media is not supported or may be invalid -- it's just an avi). So that does tend to indicate that the rendering is being done on the tablet. The only other stuff I had was Homeland, and I didn't really want the girls to see any of that, so I'll have to play with it later. When I played the content in the app itself (not beaming) I could not find any subtitle options so it doesn't appear very promising, but I am still quite impressed at how it could control the TV. Something XBMC should be adding.

42Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Covering all bases, here -- just ordered a Slimport Adapter on eBay. $9.50 USD, free shipping (a.k.a. slow boat from China). Should get it in three weeks.

Meanwhile, I'll keep exploring Android apps (there are quite a few of them but, so far, have not found one that specifically talks about streaming/casting *with* subtitles).

43Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some updates.
- the SlimPort adapter doesn't work (I see the mirrored screen for a few seconds then it starts "bilinking" on/off
- since switching to Bell my TV is wired up (since modem/router are right behind TV now), and have no problem with HD content over TwonkyBeam (it's still wifi from the tablet to the router, but then ethernet cable to TV)
- still haven't solved by subtitles problem

Oh, and just read that you can finally get the ChromeCast device in Canada. $39 at the Google Play Store or Amazon.ca. I wonder if this would solve my subtitle issues.
http://bit.ly/1emgCKm

44Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, lookie here:
You May Soon Be Able To Mirror Your Android Screen To Your TV With Chromecast

That would pretty much solve my subtitles issue.

45Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Got the ChromeCast dongle a couple days ago. So far so meh. Sure, I can now watch Netflix on the upstairs TV, so I guess that's something. The ChromeCast app a button to get apps (supposedly apps that support ChromeCast) but right now the list is very short. Of course if you search for "ChromeCast" at the PlayStore you find a lot more apps, but really haven't seen anything that isn't either beta (or worse) or stuff that I would never even dream of using (e.g. a Hangman game that I suppose you could play on the big screen with your Android devices as the remotes).

Now, it's not without hope. There are quite a few video players and in the description I've seen a few mention subtitle streams but, as I said before -- beta or worse. So far I have not seen any app that's ready fro primetime that would play high-def video, let alone add a substitle stream. One of the players wouldn't even pay the audio (of a mkv file).

46Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BB FTW.

47Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:BB FTW.

If you're talking about the Play Book I have no idea, but I can't stand my BB. Can't wait till they let you get Android devices for work (right now you can only get e-mail with MobileIron + TouchDown, and intranet when you're on the office WiFi, but the VPN solution they have is only available on PCs and Macs). Heck I'd even buy my own as long as they pay for the monthly plan.

48Android tablet as media server - Page 3 Empty Re: Android tablet as media server Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Was just post whoring...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum