GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+19
TheAvatar
M_Christopher
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
DirtyDave
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
sandysensfan
tim1_2
NEELY
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 66]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:Cap hit is *not* misleading in the least, especially now that they've done away with ridiculous contracts.  Cap hit tells you how much more you need to spend, or how much more you can spend.  It is a good number for year-over-year comparisons of teams.  Ideally you wouldn't have variable contracts and the cap hit and payroll would be the same number (could also help to get rid of agents) but we don't, and the best indicator for the above-mentioned reasons is the cap.
It's less misleading now but it's still misleading as it is an average.  You still have ridiculous contracts, they're just less ridiculous now.

Leeder, Melnyk and the Sens don't want to know the average $ of dollars they are spending, they need a precise number.  Player salaries are a fixed cost to the team.

Right now they are on the hook for $50,877,500.  That's at least how much money Eugene needs in the bank account or someone's pay check will bounce.  They can easily budget in bonuses by looking at the worst case scenario if they need to pay all possible bonuses in a given year.

Cap hit will only come to play when the team needs to hit the floor or has trouble staying under the cap(LOL not going to happen anytime soon).
Of course you want to know the average, as it regresses the peaks and valleys to the mean. Business planning needs to look over the longer term (3-5 years or longer).

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Bruins about to sign Theodore as backup to Rask.
Well he's better than the backup Detroit has.... Jonas Gustafsson... Bringing in Alfie & Weiss to shore up the forward positions... and if they lose Howard for any length of time... they are in a huge world of hurt.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:Pittsburgh and Boston are the only "locks" IMO.
I think Detroit will make it as well, the West is pretty physical and they made it despite a lot of injuries and almost beat Chicago.
Toronto is far from a lock, they got lucky last year.  Questionable goaltending, questionable D and they can't even resign Kadri and Franson.
Ottawa should make it as well.
I'd put Montreal up there as well.

The rest is a crapshoot IMO, Rangers and Capitals will probably make it.
Detroit may have had a lot of injuries last season.. but not the type of injuries the Sens had. They would not have made the playoffs if Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and two of their top 3 D were all out at the same time.. (comparable positions to the ones Ottawa were missing).

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
wprager wrote:Bruins about to sign Theodore as backup to Rask.
Well he's better than the backup Detroit has.... Jonas Gustafsson...  Bringing in Alfie & Weiss to shore up the forward positions... and if they lose Howard for any length of time... they are in a huge world of hurt.
Their D isn't overly impressive either, nor is their overall team toughness. Adding Alfie is one thing, but his production last season was more or less in par with Brunner last year and Weiss has a ton of injury issues.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I know this isn't hockey related at all, but Carleton beat the #18 ranked Wisconsin 95-82; the most points the Badgers have given up in *three* years. I'm not even into basketball but holy moly, this is BIG!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I know this isn't hockey related at all, but Carleton beat the #18 ranked Wisconsin 95-82; the most points the Badgers have given up in *three* years.  I'm not even into basketball but holy moly, this is BIG!
Carleton's bball team has been a powerhouse for a decade now, ever since they scrapped the football team and funnelled that money into basketball (although football is returning to campus this year).

We're 4-0 against NCAA competition, yes, but keep in mind that these are pre-season games we're talking about.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 
Let's see how they fare against Syracuse.

NEELY, where do you get your "facts" about them playing their third stringers? The lineup against the Ravens was Jackson, Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Kaminsky. Three of those are in the top-5 on the Badgers' roster for PPG and have played all 35 games (Brust, Dekker, Jackson) and Kaminsky is up there as well (32 games). The last one -- Gasser -- was supposed to be a starter but tore his ACL; this trip through Canada is his return to the lineup.

Who are the third/fourth stringers?

Now, I'll admit that I know next to nothing about basketball apart from a couple March Madness pools where I quickly learned how little I knew. So I rely on info I can find online -- took me about 5 minutes to look up the starting lineup (from a replay of a live blog from the game) and from there to check out the Badgers' stats to see who their top players really are. How long did you spend on deciding to dismiss this game as being just a win against a bunch of third stringers?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Let's see how they fare against Syracuse.  

NEELY, where do you get your "facts" about them playing their third stringers?  The lineup against the Ravens was Jackson, Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Kaminsky.  Three of those are in the top-5 on the Badgers' roster for PPG and have played all 35 games (Brust, Dekker, Jackson) and Kaminsky is up there as well (32 games).  The last one -- Gasser -- was supposed to be a starter but tore his ACL; this trip through Canada is his return to the lineup.

Who are the third/fourth stringers?

Now, I'll admit that I know next to nothing about basketball apart from a couple March Madness pools where I quickly learned how little I knew.  So I rely on info I can find online -- took me about 5 minutes to look up the starting lineup (from a replay of a live blog from the game) and from there to check out the Badgers' stats to see who their top players really are.  How long did you spend on deciding to dismiss this game as being just a win against a bunch of third stringers?
They are played sparingly to say the least for the most part. These are tuneup games for NCAA teams and ya, Carleton is good enough to hang with them in ex games but put them into division play and Div 1 it would be a little different with those players you mentioned playing 35-40 mins a night.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Had class with the top ballers in the nation, Phil Scrubb and Tyson Hinz. Respect.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Douglas Murray to the Habs, 1 year. Salary not yet released.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

$1.5M for Murray.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's still good, but man...there's no slower player in the NHL I don't think.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice add for the 'nucks.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-re-sign-defenceman-chris-tanev/article13914076/

-------

http://www.gmhockey.com/viewtopic.forum?t=5922

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why is this locked?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum