GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Ottawa @ Montreal - Sun, feb 3, 2013

+13
spader
Ev
dennycrane
Hobiesens
Bramlet07
Hockeyhero22000
SensHulk
wprager
Hoags
PTFlea
shabbs
LeCaptain
NEELY
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Hey, just so you know, I'm pretty sure you don't know all of the internet acronyms*. Some are used fairly heavily one some message boards and not others. Trust me, I (and others) use ETA frequently in other places and no-one complains.

BTW, I like hemlock's WTF even better than Phil's on Modern Family (Why the Face).

* for example:

IBIMB
TTIUWOP
- very well known ones in some circles

Facepalm But seriously, feel free to use it to mean Elvis Tribute Artist. WOW. (I'm using an esoteric acronym, not the word that everyone knows and will naturally assume that I'm saying. Double points if you understand what I mean. Also, I'm sorry for the insult that is embedded in the acronym, but since you probably won't understand it anyway [since you don't know all the Internet acronyms], I don't imagine that you'll be offended.)

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

OK, if I said "What's the ETA on Hoffman getting back in the lineup?" then that would be somewhat incorrect (you don't "arrive" back in the lineup) but everyone would know what I meant. Apart from that usage, I really don't think "Estimated Time of Arrival" is a very common phrase on a hockey message board. However I have seen ETA used as "Edit to add" many times on message boards -- and this is a message board.

Look, I get it, you didn't know, and now you do. That's all this is. No need to insult anyone. I certainly didn't try to insult anyone, right?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

It's not like I said ESAD Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:It's not like I said ESAD Sarcasm

Since when do you edit anyway?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't you usually add to your posts in subsequent posts?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Don't you usually add to your posts in subsequent posts?
Like a boss...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:

Yes.

Yes, I do.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Like a boss...

Is there any other way?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It's not like I said ESAD Sarcasm

Nope. I also didn't intend to offend you either, I just chose an acronym that could potentially harbour something negative. My point was that most acronyms have esoteric secondary meanings. If you're using lingo that people tend to assume has a specific meaning (e.g., LOL, ESAD, ETA), they'll generally assume that meaning is what's intended and ask for clarification, as I did.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

f the habs.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:Huh, the "Quote" button is missing above Michallica's post; tried refreshing and all. Weird.

Anyhow.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ETA

That's a lot of Ludacris.

And yet, Edit To Add is nowhere to be found on that list...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ddt wrote:
wprager wrote:Huh, the "Quote" button is missing above Michallica's post; tried refreshing and all. Weird.

Anyhow.

Vertigo

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKing wrote:OMGWTFBBQ!! Ahhhhh!

BBQ?? Why was I not informed????

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:f the habs.

What does 'f' stand for? Those SLAs (Single-Letter Acronyms, not Service Level Agreements) are killing me.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
ddt wrote:

Anyhow.

Vertigo
Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

ddt wrote:

Anyhow.

Check in a couple of days Smile

By the way, neither is IBIMB but I'm sure you could google it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.dictionaryupdate.com/IBIMB

The definition there is extremely lame, though. Not at all what it means. And anyone who's seen Firefly knows what it means.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum