GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs

+13
stempniaksen
Flo The Action
ddt
spader
Hobiesens
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
SensHulk
NEELY
PTFlea
Hoags
tim1_2
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

106Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:Don Brennan
Another winner.

107Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Who's the bigger tool, Kypreos, Shannon, Spector or Simmons? My vote is Simmons, but it's close.
what were the deciding criteria? because i'd like to add my own candidate to that list. Damian Cox Leftie
Oh, good one. Simmons and Cox have gotta be my two least favourite sports reporters of all time. I don't mind Kypreos, Shannon or Spector to be honest.
spector amuses me. especially his blog which the rumour section only combines the garbage out on the net. once he started quoting Eklund I knew he lost the plot. I mean only Eklund should make reference to himself.

108Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Hoags wrote:
spader wrote:
...or Florida. Both are mentioned as possible destinations.

Florida does not need him, they have Markstrom, plus Theodore for now. Luongo would love to go there though.

It'd be like us getting Luongo when we have Lehner in the wings, makes no sense for them.

Markstrom is putting up some pretty average numbers in his AHL season and he hasn't looked like anything special in his time in the NHL thus far.

I've said it before, I think he's the most overrated goaltender prospect in the world. He's so far from being an NHL goaltender that it might take 1/2 the length of that Luongo deal for him to really establish himself. Couldn't stand him at the WJC, hated his game, didn't like it when I saw him play in the NHL last year either. Not sure what the hype is about, he's very ordinary in the way he plays and handles himself in the net.

Huh? He's posted a .917 in the AHL so far, not too bad at all. .927 last year, .923 in limited NHL action. He's got the goods IMO, why do you say you don't see it?

Gets rattled, lets in weak goals, and doesn't do anything better than the average NHL goaltender for the most part. You can't teach size and that's what's going to allow him to be an NHL goaltender at some point but his path will look a lot like Bishops if he makes it... he has years to go and even then there is no guarantee he becomes a #1.

As for his #'s, a 917 save percentage in the AHL is pretty average.

109Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Who's the bigger tool, Kypreos, Shannon, Spector or Simmons? My vote is Simmons, but it's close.
what were the deciding criteria? because i'd like to add my own candidate to that list. Damian Cox Leftie
Oh, good one. Simmons and Cox have gotta be my two least favourite sports reporters of all time. I don't mind Kypreos, Shannon or Spector to be honest.
spector amuses me. especially his blog which the rumour section only combines the garbage out on the net. once he started quoting Eklund I knew he lost the plot. I mean only Eklund should make reference to himself.

Those are two different Spectors being talking about here, I think. One is Mark Spector, of Sportsnet, and he's pretty useless. The other is Lyle Richardson, aka "Spector," who runs the Spector's Hockey rumour/news site; he's a good news source and for gathering up together lots of others papers' stories, but he usually just poo-poos pretty much every rumour. But Spector's and Kukla's sites give you a very quick and convenient update on all the day's hockey stories.

110Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Meh. I don't even mind Sportsnet's Spector. What I mean by that is Cox and Simmons and Brennan actually piss me off when I hear them open their yappers. I don't get that with the others even if they're spouting nonsense.

111Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cox was not offered as an option on the original douchebag list, but yeah, he'd be at the top for me, with Simmons probably 2nd.

Cox is in a league of his own, though.

112Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling Burke will go "dark" for a few weeks or longer... would not be surprised to see him as GM for the US Men's Olympic hockey team.

113Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sportsnet did a top-5 "Brian Burke moments" the other day. #5 was Brian Burke tricking Bryan Murray at the draft, and drafting Kadri when that's who Murray said he wanted. I was all like "WTF" and then all glad and warm and fuzzy all over. Some things just work out for the best.

114Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

A must read if you like goofing on the Leafs.... they should show this at the SBP during the next Leafs-Sens game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/photos/1301/nhl-toronto-maple-leafs-maple-laughs/?sct=uk_t12_a6

115Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Sportsnet did a top-5 "Brian Burke moments" the other day. #5 was Brian Burke tricking Bryan Murray at the draft, and drafting Kadri when that's who Murray said he wanted. I was all like "WTF" and then all glad and warm and fuzzy all over. Some things just work out for the best.

Not just a Genius. Also a Jedi.

116Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Sportsnet did a top-5 "Brian Burke moments" the other day. #5 was Brian Burke tricking Bryan Murray at the draft, and drafting Kadri when that's who Murray said he wanted. I was all like "WTF" and then all glad and warm and fuzzy all over. Some things just work out for the best.

"This is not the player you're looking for."

117Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

"This is not the player you're looking for."
Oh man, that is screaming for a flash animation using Burke and Murray's heads and that scene...

118Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, Burke's first interview since being sacked is out there...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1313781--brian-burke-exclusive-interview-former-maple-leafs-gm-says-he-was-stunned-by-firing

Our favourite Damien Cox was able to land the interview... huzzah.

Pretty empty interview... lame.

Last edited by shabbs on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

119Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's too bad his car window got smashed.

Yeah, that interview/article sucks.

120Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:It's too bad his car window got smashed.

What do you mean? If not for that interview, you wouldn't know which movie Burkie went to yesterday. This is Pulitzer-level stuff, folks.

121Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:06 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:It's too bad his car window got smashed.

What do you mean? If not for that interview, you wouldn't know which movie Burkie went to yesterday. This is Pulitzer-level stuff, folks.
The Cox rocks.

122Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Burke presser tomorrow at noon ET.

TSN will have it, as I'm sure all the Bell/Rogers media outlets will too...

123Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 8 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Burkie's awesome. I hope he lands somewhere soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum