GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why

+6
wprager
Ev
spader
NEELY
Riprock
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators

Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why - Page 2 Vote_lcap238%Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 3 ]
Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why - Page 2 Vote_lcap262%Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 62% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Everyone says how Staal was too good to be a 3rd line center. We are about to find out by how much. He was not better than Crosby or Malkin, so it still remains to be seen if he is a true #1. Personally, I don't think so. Could be a big adjustment for him because playing behind those two you seriously do not see anywhere near the best checking.

Their defense is "pretty good" is not good enough. Is Skinner doesn't light it up they could very well become a one-line team.

Not only do I think the Sens get more points, but they'll beat them in head-to-head competition as well.

Staal won't be the #1 centre on the Hurricanes

I reckon he will.

Eric has never played wing in his life. He'll be the #1 centre

Maybe Spez is just being difficult because Prager said "Staal won't be the #1 centre on the Hurricanes" and there's a good chance one or two of the three centers will be a Staal.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Carolina is a mashup of players now, Semin is a huge question mark, their defence leaves a lot to be desired, and I am not sold on the Staal brothers leading a team.

Both the Staal brothers have won a cup, I reckon they know more about winning in the NHL than anyone on the Sens.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Everyone says how Staal was too good to be a 3rd line center. We are about to find out by how much. He was not better than Crosby or Malkin, so it still remains to be seen if he is a true #1. Personally, I don't think so. Could be a big adjustment for him because playing behind those two you seriously do not see anywhere near the best checking.

Their defense is "pretty good" is not good enough. Is Skinner doesn't light it up they could very well become a one-line team.

Not only do I think the Sens get more points, but they'll beat them in head-to-head competition as well.

Staal won't be the #1 centre on the Hurricanes

I reckon he will.

Eric has never played wing in his life. He'll be the #1 centre

I didn't know what you meant...not sure they'll move Eric, so by default you're right, I guess he's 2C. Nice 1-2 punch 5 on 5 with a nice PP1. I'm curious to see Murphy this year. If he can make the jump to the pros - which is fairly rare to do from the OHL, they might be seriously dangerous. The flip side is Murphy could easily come up and need time to adapt, not a great D, interesting team to watch. I'll agree they seem like a mash up. Team chemistry and skill on the backend might be tested.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

they want to put Jordan Staal on the wing with his brother, and probably Semin on the right.

also in terms of D, Justin Faulk is going to be on their top pairing for sure

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Carolina Hurricanes or Ottawa Senators - and why - Page 2 24708600

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Too much reckonin' in this thread.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:Carolina is a mashup of players now, Semin is a huge question mark, their defence leaves a lot to be desired, and I am not sold on the Staal brothers leading a team.

Both the Staal brothers have won a cup, I reckon they know more about winning in the NHL than anyone on the Sens.

How many times has Eric missed the playoff?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Facepalm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote: Facepalm

You slap your face but fact of the matter is Eric Staal's team misses the playoffs way more often then they make it. He's been in the league for 8 seasons and made the playoffs twice. Don't care if he's won a cup or not, his teams regular season tend to be awful. If that was Ottawa's success rate, cup or not, people would be asking for the team to be blown up in a big way.

Also, I don't believe Jordan Staal is all that much better than Sutter was. Semin, well everyone knows what he's about.

Sure, they may make the playoffs but I will put my money on them missing for the 4th season in a row and the 7th time in Eric Staal's 9 seasons.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
Riprock wrote: Facepalm

You slap your face but fact of the matter is Eric Staal's team misses the playoffs way more often then they make it. He's been in the league for 8 seasons and made the playoffs twice. Don't care if he's won a cup or not, his teams regular season tend to be awful. If that was Ottawa's success rate, cup or not, people would be asking for the team to be blown up in a big way.

Also, I don't believe Jordan Staal is all that much better than Sutter was. Semin, well everyone knows what he's about.

Sure, they may make the playoffs but I will put my money on them missing for the 4th season in a row and the 7th time in Eric Staal's 9 seasons.

Really think Sutter has a long way to go to be as effective as J.Staal.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

And how bad were the Hurricanes for most of Staal's years there ?

By that line of thinking, it's Alfie's fault we haven't won a playoff series since 2007.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:And how bad were the Hurricanes for most of Staal's years there ?

By that line of thinking, it's Alfie's fault we haven't won a playoff series since 2007.

Not saying it's Staal's fault but saying these brothers are going to lead the Canes to the playoffs... based on what? Staal has lead the Canes to the playoffs twice in 8 years. Why would it be different now?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They've got a decent forward group now and Ward is still good. D is still questionable.

Not saying they'll make it but they should be in the mix. Impossibly to predict the playoff teams outside of the top (Boston, Pittsburgh, NYR etc.)

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:They've got a decent forward group now and Ward is still good. D is still questionable.

Not saying they'll make it but they should be in the mix. Impossibly to predict the playoff teams outside of the top (Boston, Pittsburgh, NYR etc.)

They are always in the mix... Eric Staal has still only played in the playoffs 2 times in 8 years. If you were to bet on him missing the playoffs chances are you would get paid. That's my point. Semin joining the ranks doesn't change that IMO.

That said, I think Florida takes a step back, Washington struggles, and Tampa's D is still awful. I think there is a chance they win their division. Does that make them better than the Sens? IMO no.

I don't like the Canes make up at all because you win with D. That's just my opinion.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't like Washington or Tampa either. I think they might both miss. Florida I think can stay in the mix.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Carolina wins the division and seats 3rd in the conference...

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Very comparable teams - an excellent topic. Strong coaching and front office personnel on both sides along with solid forwards and some questionable D. It comes down to 2 things for me:

1. Who is in the weaker division? For the first time, I think it is Ottawa.
2. Which backup goalie do you want playing 20 games - Bishop/Lehner or Boucher? I take either Ottawa goalie.

Ottawa by a nose.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I agree with Neely on this one. Specifically on the Staal brothers leading a team. I think this could lead to locker room problems, especially when you throw in a guy like Semin.

It's funny this was posted...I have a buddy who is a huge Hurricanes fan (used to be a Hartford fan back in the day), and we had this very debate a couple nights ago. He is obviously very excited for the coming season given his team's perceived improvement.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum