GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP victims of the Dark Knight Rises Colorado tragedy

+7
wprager
spader
sens4win
NEELY
PTFlea
shabbs
Riprock
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:Apparently the accused perpetrator told police he was The Joker.

Holy cow, this Dungball didn't kill himself?

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

No he apparently walked out of the theatre and stood outside, armed, and waited to be arrested.

These tragedies are an unfortunate catch-22: the people often do it, not just because they are insane, but also because they want the attention and infamy; but with out media attention, many of us wouldn't know.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Riprock wrote:I only know about NY doing that from an episode of 30 Rock. They started that after 9/11 right? And it applies to everyone, and is similar to "random" airport security checks.

Yeah, if you're looking suspicious and hanging on a corner in a bad area in the wee hours of the night or whenever... the cops can walk up, question you and if they don't like your answers, they can frisk you. Doesn't matter your colour, but you know certain areas will be targeted that are known for "bad activity". If Toronto tries to do something like that, it will have a lot of push back from various groups. But given the violence escalation lately and the success in NY, it may have legs.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Riprock wrote:No he apparently walked out of the theatre and stood outside, armed, and waited to be arrested.

These tragedies are an unfortunate catch-22: the people often do it, not just because they are insane, but also because they want the attention and infamy; but with out media attention, many of us wouldn't know.
Sounds like that guy that went on rampage in Norway. When SWAT showed up he just surrendered.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Here in TO, one councillor (Adam Vaughn) has been pushing for a ban on bullets. I'm mean really. We have bans for pretty much everything, they don't help. More cops, more enforcement, way harsher crimes, more raids, more pressure... gotta make these guys think twice.

There is talk of a "stop and frisk" rule to let Cops search "suspect youth" to see if they have illegal weapons. NY has done this and they say it's been a huge success. That's getting into a grey area with civil rights, profiling etc... and will cause a big debate.

More punishment doesn't necessarily equal less crime, at least not in North America. In fact, many experts say that we need more programs (social, education, drug dependency, etc) and less police presence.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
shabbs wrote:Here in TO, one councillor (Adam Vaughn) has been pushing for a ban on bullets. I'm mean really. We have bans for pretty much everything, they don't help. More cops, more enforcement, way harsher crimes, more raids, more pressure... gotta make these guys think twice.

There is talk of a "stop and frisk" rule to let Cops search "suspect youth" to see if they have illegal weapons. NY has done this and they say it's been a huge success. That's getting into a grey area with civil rights, profiling etc... and will cause a big debate.

More punishment doesn't necessarily equal less crime, at least not in North America. In fact, many experts say that we need more programs (social, education, drug dependency, etc) and less police presence.
Agree with the social programs etc... there's no silver bullet... it's a complex situation that needs a multi-pronged solution. Better relations with police, community involvement, stability at home etc... are all factors.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ah yes, the hardening of criminals. Goes back to ancient Greek philosophy in the Republic and how doing harm to people makes them more vicious.

Basically everyone has an opinion and a suggestion, and a lot of them are knee jerk reactions.

Bottom line, this and every other tragedy like it, are awful and unthinkable, but people can't be so quick to react and blame the media, or call for banning firearms, etc.

This guy is already paving the way for an insanity plea.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hate that thought...

If he's insane, then let's get him to a maximum security facility and get him some help, but I hope he doesn't think he's getting off - ever. I'm not sure why this kind of thing rubs me so badly the wrong way when people are shot every day. There's something random and arbitrary about this that yells that one of us could have been there - or worse, our kids could have been there and these Cussing bunghole are running around with weapons thinking they can shoot up the place and take lives because they're the 'Joker'. Go Diddle yourself Holmes, you should have been a man and shot yourself way before it came to taking 12 lives.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My sister lives in Texas. Got remarried to a guy from Colorado. When I met him for the first time he wanted to show me his gun collection. My sister still had her kids living in the house at the time. Guns may not kill people, but they make it so much easier for people to kill.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some info on the suspect, James Holmes:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/who-is-colorado-shooting-suspect-james-holmes-1.887229

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Riprock wrote:Basically everyone has an opinion and a suggestion, and a lot of them are knee jerk reactions.
Any time there is a major event like this, it always sparks that kind of discussion and the politicians get in front of the camera and bark crap about banning this and banning that etc...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Soap box to get re-elected/elected.

Pretty sure the US gov't would lose money on the banning of firerarms.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

But it says in the US constitution -- that their citizens 'have the right to bear arms'.

Everytime something like this tragedy happens.. the NRA goes back to that.

Point is.. that is about 400 yrs old.

They have to make it harder for their citizens to get the guns. This guy bought 4 of them. Now if there was some kind of way they have to register whenever they buy guns -- would you not think he was up to something buying that many in a short period of time?

People hunt and have shotguns. US citizens are allowed hand guns.

But why the hell are they selling assault rifles? That makes no sense to me at all?

They need to get with the times... or over and over again.. some nut will keep doing these types of shootings. How long can they let this go on?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I went to see the Dark Knight Rises last night and my thoughts kept turning back to the victims. Terrible tragedy.

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That's too bad. It's a good movie, hope you at least enjoyed it. I know it's hard to think that a dozen people died while in the same position as you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:But it says in the US constitution -- that their citizens 'have the right to bear arms'.

They have to make it harder for their citizens to get the guns. This guy bought 4 of them. Now if there was some kind of way they have to register whenever they buy guns -- would you not think he was up to something buying that many in a short period of time?

But why the hell are they selling assault rifles? That makes no sense to me at all?

They need to get with the times... or over and over again.. some nut will keep doing these types of shootings. How long can they let this go on?

Jason Alexander ('George' from Seinfeld) had a tweetlonger post on this. If you follow MrMontagoose on twitter I replied to it. He made quite a few points, not least of which is the fact that the Constitution was specifically talking about "organized militia" and not just ordinary citizens. Also, like you said, the definition of "arms" 400 years ago surely did not include assault rifles.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I read his post, he raised some very good points. It seems to be a misinterpreted constitution.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:But it says in the US constitution -- that their citizens 'have the right to bear arms'.

Jason Alexander ('George' from Seinfeld) had a tweetlonger post on this. If you follow MrMontagoose on twitter I replied to it. He made quite a few points, not least of which is the fact that the Constitution was specifically talking about "organized militia" and not just ordinary citizens. Also, like you said, the definition of "arms" 400 years ago surely did not include assault rifles.

I haven't read it yet, but JA posted this rebuttal to his original post:

http://www.grumpypundit.com/index.php/2012/07/22/we-wont-be-fooled-again-oh-hell-yes-we-will/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum