GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

iPod, iTunes: iHate!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My second graduated (from elementary into highschool) a few days ago, and as the precedent had been set with the first one, I got him an iPod. Now I have to go through the hell that is trying to make it usable. I can't just copy MP3 files ripped from my CDs, I can't just download a free app. Everything has to be controlled by the mighty i.

I had read how to create an iTunes account without having a credit card. You install iTunes on your PC, go to the iTunes store and pick something free to download. When it asks for account info you click to create a new account, and *this* time when it comes to method of payment there will be a "None" option beside the credit card and PayPal options.

Does anyone know if the same can be done from the iPod itself?

Another question. It's been two years since I went through this with my oldest. At that time I installed iTunes on my old laptop and started ripping my CDs to put on his iPod. After a few CDs I figured I'd just teach him how to do it so I installed iTunes on his laptop and ripped a few CDs there. However when I tried to sync those CDs over to his iPod I discovered that you can't do that. It establishes some kind of symbiotic relationship so the iPod can only be sync'd with one PC.

Is there really, still no way to get around that? With any other MP3 player all I have to do is rip the CDs to my music library with WMP and then sync it to my MP3 player. Why does the iPod have to be different? Is this where the iCloud comes in? Can I rip CDs using my PC *but* uploading them to the iCloud and then down to the iPod? It would make no sense having to upload just so you can download (since the ripped CDs would have to be stored on my PC) but I could just see something like this from Apple.

Anyhow, I don't really want to use my laptop to keep my son's iPod music library again (my last laptop didn't last very long; my son's laptop is currently dead requiring a new hard drive; my other son doesn't have a laptop and his desktop isn't exactly in great shape). I guess the other option is just to purchase everything from iTunes, but then what do I do about all those CDs I already have?

Did I forget to mention I hate Apple's methods? I should trademark this -- iHate.

2iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:36 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The biggest pain in the Donkey is the software that gets installed on your PC and all the updates.

There's something called "Bonjour" that's a particular nuisance.

3iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Aargh! He already created his account, but because he did it from the iPod the "trick" to not have a credit card is not available.

I refuse to give them my credit card info. NFW! Honestly, this is very un-American of them, don't you think? I can purchase iTunes gift cards and never use a credit card. What if I don't have a credit card? This is so incredibly frustrating. Why didn't I just coerce him into getting something else?

4iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

You can create an itunes account without a credit card if you have a gift card. Get him a 10$ card and when he enters the number, the account will be active.

You could use your itunes id all all the ipods and then subscribe to itunes match - which would sync your ripped library to all the devices.

in order for all the ipods to sync the same music library, they have to sync from the same computer - otherwise, you need to import cd's to the other computers.

go into an Apple store and someone will help you through it. you need to make an appointment, because those dudes are busy.... otherwise, there's lots of info on the net for what you are trying to do.

ps. you can also find the ripped songs on your PC and put them on a USB drive an import them on the other computer. I'm not sure where the PC stores the iTunes library because I use a Mac....

5iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:50 am

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

CopyTrans works...and it's freeware.

6iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:You can create an itunes account without a credit card if you have a gift card. Get him a 10$ card and when he enters the number, the account will be active.

You could use your itunes id all all the ipods and then subscribe to itunes match - which would sync your ripped library to all the devices.

in order for all the ipods to sync the same music library, they have to sync from the same computer - otherwise, you need to import cd's to the other computers.

go into an Apple store and someone will help you through it. you need to make an appointment, because those dudes are busy.... otherwise, there's lots of info on the net for what you are trying to do.

ps. you can also find the ripped songs on your PC and put them on a USB drive an import them on the other computer. I'm not sure where the PC stores the iTunes library because I use a Mac....

That's exactly what I want to do -- create an account just to download free apps or use his gift cards. But you cannot enter the gift card instead of the credit card. What I did read in their Support FAQ is that you *must* use a credit card to start, but you can remove it later.

I think the advice to go to an Apple store is golden. I'll have to find one now.

7iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:15 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:You can create an itunes account without a credit card if you have a gift card. Get him a 10$ card and when he enters the number, the account will be active.

That's exactly what I want to do -- create an account just to download free apps or use his gift cards. But you cannot enter the gift card instead of the credit card. What I did read in their Support FAQ is that you *must* use a credit card to start, but you can remove it later.

I think the advice to go to an Apple store is golden. I'll have to find one now.

Rideau Center.

8iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rideau Center? Ouch! Three years ago, no problem. I worked on Sussex and walked through the Rideau Center twice a day (from and to the bus). Now, not so much.

9iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Vandelay wrote:CopyTrans works...and it's freeware.

What is it?

Wait, I've got google ...

Hmm, not sure it's what I need. This is to backup yur iPod to the PC (and, I assume, restore later). Possibly would let me back up my older son's iPod (which already has most of my CD collection, except the recent stuff -- which I mostly got for my younger son) and then restore onto my other son's iPod? But can it be used to import from my WMP library onto the iPod?

10iPod, iTunes: iHate! Empty Re: iPod, iTunes: iHate! Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 pm

wprager wrote:

They are geniuses there you know!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum