GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

+6
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
shabbs
Riprock
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

16Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:24 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good call with LG. Good bang for the buck. I have a LG plasma and a LG LED, and I'm very happy with both.

17Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hmm, I wonder if the TV itself would play MKV files or stream from icefilms. Based on a couple of threads on the icefilms forum, apparently not Sad

Oh, well, LG has several apps built into this TV so perhaps there is one for "renting" films, and then there could be some 3D content. Otherwise I'm sure the boys will enjoy converting Skyrim and Uncharted to 3D, or perhaps that racing game they downloaded. This set does 2D to 3D conversion on the fly. Might look a little funny doing that to, say, Mad About You on Netflix, but games should be interesting.

18Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Q. Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

A. Complain about the lack of content for your new 3D TV.

19Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah I think all HD 720p files on Icefilms are .mkv, but you can get SD ones that are .avi

20Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think there's one 3D test channel out there right now... outside of that, you're looking at 3D Blu-rays. Do you have a 3D BR player?

21Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:Q. Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Heh. Too true. Like when HD first made the market, there was one "sample" channel. Now, everything is HD. Time will tell if 3D will follow a similar path. There have been a few 3D events that were broadcast. Not sure when we'll see regular 3D content.

22Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:17 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

Heh. Too true. Like when HD first made the market, there was one "sample" channel. Now, everything is HD. Time will tell if 3D will follow a similar path. There have been a few 3D events that were broadcast. Not sure when we'll see regular 3D content.

The only 3D TV content I took the time to watch was some Football. Actual Football, as in Soccer. And it was glorious.

23Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:

The only 3D TV content I took the time to watch was some Football. Actual Football, as in Soccer. And it was glorious.

I watch 3D every day of my life and I don't even need a TV. Vertigo

- Unknown Author

24Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:

I watch 3D every day of my life and I don't even need a TV. Vertigo

Mind. Blown. Vertigo

25Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

True. And I have, a bit, here. Content's out there but nothing I really want to see. I wouldn't mind getting Avatar but I can't. And we haven't seen How to Train your Dragon so that would be a good fit, but $40 for a friggin' cartoon? I see that Prometheus 3D is available for pre-order -- but it's not here yet.

The problem is with the packaging. It's damn near impossible to buy *just* a blu ray -- they package it with the DVD copy and charge you an extra $10. Sure, $10 for a blu ray is excellent, but then I'm stuck with a $25 DVD I have no need for. Similar thing with the 3D movies -- they have to include both the 3D and 2D discs in the package because, frankly, you don't *always* want to wear glasses to watch a film. When they film a movie specifically for 3D, are there three cameras involved -- left/right for 3D and center for 2D? Or do they use either the left or right for the 2D version? If it's the latter, couldn't they have come up with a scheme where you have a single disc and select to play 2D or 3D as you wish?

shabbs wrote:I think there's one 3D test channel out there right now... outside of that, you're looking at 3D Blu-rays. Do you have a 3D BR player?

I have the PS3, for now. If that ever moves to the basement I'd get a 3D player. Maybe that's how I get Avatar.

26Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

On a whim, I decided to check out the Amazon UK site (amazon.co.uk). Typed "3d bluray" in the search bar and I'm seeing much better prices. For example, Despicable Me is £7.97 That price is with VAT added in, which they remove if you are shipping to Canada. Total price, with shipping, is £9.72, which is $15.52 CDN. And you may get away without paying taxes/etc because they usually don't care under $40. By comparison, same movie on Amazon.ca is $29.99 (that's bluray 3d/2d and dvd; the UK one may be just a 3D disc).

But be careful in your searching because this comes up on the first search page, too (NSWF):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erotische-Fantasien-Blu-Ray-German-Import/dp/B004YCY2CM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340557357&sr=8-6

27Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Of course not all movies are such great deals. How To Train Your Dragon comes in a 3D/2D/DVD pack and ends up being $34.15 -- however that's with shipping and, if you get away without paying duty and taxes is still significantly cheaper.

28Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

3D is a gimmick.

29Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Was was your shtick before? Was it Captain Obvious? I can't remember.

Either way, ya, I don't think you'll get much argument there.

30Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Technically one can argue that surround sound is a gimmick then too, by your opinion. 3D has it's uses, and you don't need it to enjoy a movie, just like you don't NEED "3D" sound to enjoy a movie.

31Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Yes.

So?

It would still be fun to watch something in 3D once in a while. Especially for the kids. Plus there are some games for the PS3 that are in 3D. And even the ones that are 2D-only the 2D to 3D conversion this set does is not too bad. At least for games. I was watching Twister on the HD movie channel and tried the 3D conversion. Got a very strong "soap opera effect". But it was bad HD to begin with. Tried watching a few minutes of the Lost pilot on Netflix and the same thing -- very strong soap opera effect (lost was done on film and but the 3D conversion looked like it was filmed using a consumer-market video camera). I'll have to check what a good HD source looks like -- I'll try a blu ray tonight -- maybe this is just what fake 3D looks like. It's fine for games but makes film look like video.

32Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You'll probably need to play with the settings for a while to get it right. Do you have any calibration DVDs? When I got my Sharp Aquos Quattron, it took me a few weeks to get it just right for my environment. It's unbelievable how many settings there are to go through these days. Crazy tweaking.

33Got a new 3D TV -- now what? - Page 2 Empty Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what? Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Riprock wrote:Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

But seriously check out icefilms.info - http://www.icefilms.info/search?q=3d&x=0&y=0&cx=010591583107216882486%3Abafpv02vxuq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8

I just searched "3d" and that's what came up. They are h-sbs files whatever that is. Only problem is if they are .mkv extension. only way to play those through a ps3 is to stream using a media server IIRC.

Sports Illustrated the Swimsuit Edition - The 3D experience ?!? Sounds like fun !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum