GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canadiens sign Markov

+8
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Ev
PTFlea
spader
shabbs
NEELY
Spider-Man NL
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Canadiens sign Markov Empty Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Spider-Man NL

Spider-Man NL
Prospect
Prospect

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369816

The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed defenceman Andrei Markov to a three-year, $17.25 contract.

Markov was set to become a free agent on July 1, but the deal will keep the 32-year-old in Montreal long-term.

The deal is worth $5.75 million per year.

“We are very pleased that Andrei has made the decision to pursue his career with the Montreal Canadiens. A player drafted and developed by our organization, Andrei brings a high level of talent and leadership to our team. We look forward to having him back in our lineup for the start of the upcoming season,” said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier in a team release.

The Russian defenceman, who has spent his entire NHL career with the Canadiens, played just seven games for the Canadiens last season after having ACL reconstruction surgery.

He's played just 52 games in the two previous years. Markov has 81 goals and 285 assists in 623 games.

Canadiens sign Markov 98633507-218x150

http://www.suddendeathhockeyforums.ca

2Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Spider-Man NL

Spider-Man NL
Prospect
Prospect

hes well worth the money if he stays healthy.

Last edited by Spider-Man NL on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.suddendeathhockeyforums.ca

3Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Two years ago I would have called him a top 10, maybe top 5 D man in the game so I like this signing, but hopefully injuries haven't taken their toll on the guy.

4Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Will be interesting to see if he stays healthy. It's the same money he was making before...

5Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Spider-Man NL wrote:hes will worth the money if he stays healthy.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, when you catch the injury bug in your 30s and play 52 out of 164 games, you probably aren't going to stay healthy. TBH, it would be tough to justify a one year deal at those dollars, a three year deal is crazy.

6Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If he's healthy, he's worth it big time, but will he stay healthy?

7Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

When's the last time somebody who was an "if he stays healthy" guy actually stayed heatley?

8Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:When's the last time somebody who was an "if he stays healthy" guy actually stayed heatley?

Freudian Slip?

9Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Holy Shiznit!!! Ahhhhh! :ahhh:

10Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:
Big Ev wrote:When's the last time somebody who was an "if he stays healthy" guy actually stayed heatley?

Freudian Slip?

AHHH! Ahhhhh!

11Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

well i'll come in and rectify a bit of what's been said.... injuries. yes he's had problems with his knee. but one of the injuries that's kept him out a whole year was a skate (mybe it was o'byrne's?) going thru the back of the heal 2 years ago... so that's more of a freak accident.
wouldn't say he's plagued with injury rather then some injuries and bad luck.
at that price if he's healthy it's a bargain. top 5 for sure.

12Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:50 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:wouldn't say he's plagued with injury rather then some injuries and bad luck.

I heard that about someone else. I think he was a goalie, once. Sarcasm

13Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:wouldn't say he's plagued with injury rather then some injuries and bad luck.

oh come on man! don't compare him to the glass man....
Markov doesn't succumb to every nick and bruise that he faces. I would of given him a two year if they couldn't give him just 1 but if he stays healthy they'll be happy as hell with that.

14Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:14 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:

oh come on man! don't compare him to the glass man....
Markov doesn't succumb to every nick and bruise that he faces. I would of given him a two year if they couldn't give him just 1 but if he stays healthy they'll be happy as hell with that.

Of course they will. If he stays healthy and produces like he can, he's well worth the money. The problem is that this contract represents Montreal's gamble that he will stay healthy. I don't think he can.

15Canadiens sign Markov Empty Re: Canadiens sign Markov Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:15 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Why wouldn't he stay healthy, he got injured in 2 freak accidents. It's not like he's concussion prone or anything ?

It's a risk but not as big as it sounds.

Bigger question is how his mobility will be after those knee injuries.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum