GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Team will begin plagying once the Landsdowne project is completed. I've only seen a tweet. Haven't looked around for full articles yet, but I'm sure they're there.

2Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Column+Future+beautiful+game+Ottawa+becomes+official+with+Monday/4959197/story.html

3Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:12 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ottawa is to be home to a North American Soccer League team as soon as revamped Lansdowne Park opens for business in either 2013 or 2014.

This news will seem more exciting in either 2012 or 2013.

I like soccer but anything attached to the "Jeff Hunt Group" and Landsdowne Live is a bit of a joke to me. Besides, their bid killed MLS in Ottawa which still pisses me off.

4Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:16 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Ottawa is to be home to a North American Soccer League team as soon as revamped Lansdowne Park opens for business in either 2013 or 2014.

This news will seem more exciting in either 2012 or 2013.

I like soccer but anything attached to the "Jeff Hunt Group" and Landsdowne Live is a bit of a joke to me. Besides, their bid killed MLS in Ottawa which still pisses me off.

I for one didn't believe Ottawa could successfully support an MLS team let alone if Montreal will be able to either.
this will be a small (but not comparable) test to the theory... it's got the "linx/renegades" all over it.

5Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I wonder if Australian Rules Football would go over better. Soccer is "popular" because all you need a ball and a flat surface to play; parents love it because you can outfit your kids for a fraction of what other sports cost (most notably hockey, but football and baseball are not far behind).

As for the sport's popularity among the paying public, I just don't know. I don't *think* it will be popular (Montreal's Italian community and other ethnic groups is much larger), but I really don't know.

6Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wasn't going to comment, because I have absolutely zero interest in soccer, or Ottawa having a soccer team, but then I typed these words and pressed "Send"....

7Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Empty Re: Ottawa awarded NASL Franchise Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:25 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

If we can't support a CFL team I don't know how we're going to support a soccer team especially one that is in the NASL rather than MLS or whatever the terms are...anywho...good luck!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum