GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 16]

166New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't really care much about 120hz.  Can't offer any opinion about current TVs though...still using my old LG plasma.
I'm still very satisfied with my plasma, even though I noticed some weird coloration around the edges, that won't be enough to make me change it. Maybe when I move I'll buy a new TV for the bedroom which is where I watch most of the games nowadays (I've got a 20 some screen monitor hooked up to my computer) but I can't see why else I need a new TV for.

How good are televisions nowadays compared to plasma anyways?

My guess is there's not much difference since broadcast quality probably isn't even equal to the performance of a Zenith floor model from 1976.

167New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

OLED is not in my near future, not even Black Friday. I'm looking for a 48-50" and right now I can get a decent one for around $700. A Sony in that price range would be a 1080p. I'd like to pay closer to $500, so I'll wait for Black Friday.

168New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:OLED is not in my near future, not even Black Friday. I'm looking for a 48-50" and right now I can get a decent one for around $700. A Sony in that price range would be a 1080p.  I'd like to pay closer to $500, so I'll wait for Black Friday.

Well basically any TV in that price range will be far inferior to plasma.

169New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think that's the case any longer. In that price range I can pick up a set that has a full-array LED backlight with 12 or more local dimming regions plus HDR. This is miles ahead of the old edge-lit sets. The main advantage of plasma used to be blacks and dynamic range. The new LED sets have pretty much caught up to that. And they are much easier to hang (much thinner, much lighter, don't get as hot, draw half the power).

170New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I don't think that's the case any longer.  In that price range I can pick up a set that has a full-array LED backlight with 12 or more local dimming regions plus HDR.  This is miles ahead of the old edge-lit sets.  The main advantage of plasma used to be blacks and dynamic range.  The new LED sets have pretty much caught up to that.  And they are much easier to hang (much thinner, much lighter, don't get as hot, draw half the power).

they're lighter and easier to hang (no fireplace hanging!) but the blacks and contrast are definitely superior on plasma than any LED.

Your best bet to get a bang for your buck is a Vizio at Costco.

171New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Superior is a sometimes overused term. For example, 4K is superior to 1080p, but unless you sit within 5 feet of a 50" screen you will be hard-pressed to distinguish it from a 1080p. 1 arc-minute is the visual acuity of a normal human; if the pixels are smaller than that you can't tell the difference.

Same with black levels. It depends on the source content (does it even have black or is it all shades of grey?), your eyesight, the ambient room light and of course your personal preferences.

As for contrast, with full-array LED backlight and local dimming (on the higher end sets) the contrast ratios are approaching plasma. They won't get there, but because the human eye is not perfect, they won't have to. They may even already far enough along to not make any difference for an average person.

Also, are there even any 4K plasmas sets? In general, you'd be hard-pressed to find a plasma set, but I don't know if anyone even made a 4k one ever.

172New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think anyone makes plasmas anymore.

173New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah there’s no plasma anymore

As for 4K I’ve read the same things about distance mattering, but for me I can easily tel the difference between 4K and 1080p sitting 8 feet away from my 55 inch

174New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You must have above average eyesight (I know I don't, that's for sure). As for plasma, I know no-one makes them anymore, but I was wondering if anyone made 4k plasma at all, ever.

175New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:15 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have no idea if there was ever a 4k plasma. I keep trying to convince myself that I need to upgrade my 60" plasma in the basement to a 70" or 80" set, but I just can't justify it! Maybe when 4K becomes a lot more prevalent....

176New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I wouldn't change my set just to get 4k at this point in time. But if you're getting a new set for some other reason, then it makes sense because prices have really come down and mid-tier products have features that $5k+ sets had only a couple years ago.

177New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Can anyone comment on Boxing Day sales? I was underwhelmed with what they had for Black Friday, to be honest. The set I have my eyes on its the Vizio M50-E1. Not high end by any stretch, but it's a true 10 bit panel (as opposed to most in this price range being 8 bit panels, some with dithering to fake 10 bit). Currently (since BF) it can be had for $750 at a couple places. That's $150 off, or 16.7%. Checking the BestBuy 2016 Boxing Week flyer they had a similar set down $300 be from $1000, so 30% off.

Is that a good indication of what to expect or is it usually the same savings as BF?

I can wait another few weeks, but if this is as good as it gets, might as well do it now.

P.S. The Vizio uses a built in Chromecast, but at least they changed the s/w this summer so you can launch the smart TV features from the tv itself, and not have to pull out your Android phone. I'm still not a fan of the Chromecast and if I could get the 49" Sony for the same price (10 bit panel) on Boxing Day then that would also be worth the wait.

178New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:58 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm, the Sony that it's $150 more is edge lit and 8-bit. The Vizio is full LED array with 32 local dimming areas. To get that in a Sony I think it's have to drop another $300 or more. Don't think that puts me in the right price range even with 30% off. Yikes, how did they get this expensive?

179New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Usually Boxing Day sales are much better than Black Fridays

180New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ok, then we wait.

I don't mind the tv we have now. But if we get a new one for the family room then the one that's there now goes up to the bedroom, where we're currently squinting at a 32" 720p set.

181New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oled bro . It will be $1800 or less on Boxing Day

182New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Not interested in spending more than $700. Just got a dog, that's well over $2k with the vet visit and all the baby gates, crates and other paraphernalia. Getting a fence put in (for the dog) and that will be another $3k or so. Don't even have a garage door opener yet (probably only because the dog wouldn't make use of it).

183New Plasma TV - Page 12 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The set I'm looking at is on sale at Costco until the 9th. I take it that means it won't go on Boxing Day sale. At Best Buy it was sold out until recently, but now shows "available online", so still hope. Over at Walmart they had it on sale until this week; because of best price guarantees (or people just returning the item) I think this means it won't go on Boxing Day sale.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum