GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peter Stastny: Johnson/Stewart trade destroyed the Avs!

+2
SensFan71
PTFlea
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yikes! No wonder his son's name keeps popping up in trade rumours!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2011/02/22/peter-stastny-bombshell-avs-blues-trade-destroyed-the-team/6586/

ST. LOUIS — Oh boy, Paul Stastny may have some ’splainin’ to do on behalf of his old man.

Late tonight, I got word of some explosive comments Peter Stastny made about the Avalanche’s blockbuster trade with the St. Louis Blues – two organizations Peter played for in his Hall of Fame career as a player, the most time spent, of course, with the Avs’ former identity as the Quebec Nordiques.

What did Peter Stastny think of the Avs’ trade of Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk, along with a second-round pick, to the Blues for Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a first-rounder? Well, not too much really.

Here is the audio of the elder Stastny’s bombshell comments to St. Louis radio station KMOX tonight.

And here is the transcript of what he said, in case you don’t want to listen to the one-minute clip — but I encourage you to do so.

“This young team was ready to challenge, almost, for a Stanley Cup this season. They were so good. All they needed was some more chemistry, and some synergies. Instead, they destroyed the team. I mean, that was a one-way deal. Mr. Armstrong will look like a genius. I don’t know what they were thinking in the Colorado organization. I should not have said this, but I’m so, so mad what they’ve done to this team. They’ve moved the team about two to three years back again.”

So, do we think it might be a little awkward between Paul and Erik Johnson and Jay McClement in the next few days? Actually, maybe not. Stastny and Erik roomed together at the last Olympics, and one before that at the world championships. They’re very good friends. I’m sure Paul will try to say something like “aw, my old man sometimes, you know how they can get …”

Then again, this is a HOF, franchise icon ripping to shreds the move of Greg Sherman for all the world to hear. And the commotion this is going to cause no doubt will be an uncomfortable distraction for people around the team.

We’ll see how this plays out …

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

drama drama drama.....Stastny next traded to Ottawa for Brian Lee or one of our fringe d-men...book it lol Razz

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He and old-man Kaberle should get together.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Imagine if Mike Foligno went off on the Sens after this year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Imagine if Mike Foligno went off on the Sens after this year.

Big difference though. If Foligno's dad did that, we'd just trade Foligno and move on. With Stastny, he's a semi-franchise C who's worth a lot to the franchise. They have to figure out if this is 'trade worthy' - which it might be if the offers are right.

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:Imagine if Mike Foligno went off on the Sens after this year.

Big difference though. If Foligno's dad did that, we'd just trade Foligno and move on. With Stastny, he's a semi-franchise C who's worth a lot to the franchise. They have to figure out if this is 'trade worthy' - which it might be if the offers are right.

I've heard him name mentioned to LA, even before this. This certainly can't help his future in Colorado.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I don't care if the guy is a great player, where the hell does he get off calling this a bad trade and ripping into the franchise?

Tons of players have proven they can't cut in the coaching/management world for a variety of reasons, this is just further proof of that fact.

It's not like Erik Johnson just scored the game winning goal against his former team or anything....oh wait...

stempniaksen wrote:I don't care if the guy is a great player, where the hell does he get off calling this a bad trade and ripping into the franchise?

Tons of players have proven they can't cut in the coaching/management world for a variety of reasons, this is just further proof of that fact.

It's not like Erik Johnson just scored the game winning goal against his former team or anything....oh wait...

Even if he felt that way, to rip not only a franchise where you made a name for yourself, as well as the franchise that currently has your son as the franchise player is just bad for business. It really puts Paul in a bad spot potentially.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe he shouldn't have said it publicly, but how Can I not agree?
All I see is a desperate move in a not desperate situation. So what, they couldn't keep up for a few months in a tough conference, with key injuries, with a group of players that are still pretty young and need more time.
Seriously, how can someone trade Chris Stewart is beyond me.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Because they got Erik frakin' Johnson in return? Laugh1

I have a very Pittsburgh-esque mindset about how to build a team though, which could be way off of me, but I saw a team lacking a true #1 defender and adding one with the potential to be one of the best in the game, that's a win in my books.

When the trade first broke I was confused with all the pieces moving around but now that the dust is settling I think I'm on board with what the Avs are doing.

The Anderson/Elliot swap though Facepalm Not sure what they were thinking there.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Should have waited for another opportunity. Trading Stewart sends the wrong message. He was a leader and a great goal scorer.
Johnson will be awesome, but not Stewart + Shattenkirk awesome.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

That's where we disagree then. I probably don't value Stewart and Shattenkirk as high as you do, that plus I think McClement is being absolutely overlooked in this deal (even as a minor piece).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum