GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game?

+7
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Riprock
SensHulk
LethalLehner
dennycrane
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game?

Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_lcap268%Poll: What Will the Sens do Before Their Next Game? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 68% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SDH89 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SDH89 wrote:Clouston will be shown the door tomorrow.

Then Murray is gone too.

OK. I see where you're coming from now. Looks like senschirp is pretty much saying that Clouston is as good as gone.

Murray should be joining him, but that's not going to happen.

I'm pretty surprised. Oh well. More laffs at my teams expense on the way, I guess. BagoverHead

I voted for nothing happening. At least I hope that's what happens. Staying the course will hopefully lead us to a top 5 pick.

Kovalev comes off the books next season, as does Leclaire and Phillips (should we decide to not keep him). There are some assets that could be moved at the deadline, like Kuba (hopefully he's playing better by then). Plus, Fisher's NTC becomes limited as of next year, so he will only control a portion of his fate.

Firing the coach doesn't help this situation. We don't have the talent to make any noise in the playoffs, if we even made it that far. Besides, I think this fiasco (SSF Wink ) is more on the players than it is on Clouston. Clouston isn't blameless here, but I feel this is more a case of the players just not caring/playing up to potential than it is coaching.

I say we ride out the season, and once it's over, bring in a new regime, from Murray right down to the coaching staff.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Here's what I think will happen. Clouston and Carvel are shown the door, with Murray taking over in an interim role. Perhaps another assistant coach or two (or three -- we have so freakin' many) resigns. At the end of the day, Murray is GM/coach and there are far fewer cooks in the kitchen. With any luck, more injuries offset the improvements in coaching and the team fights it out for the bottom 4-5 position with the Leafs, Sabres and Panthers. Murray stays on for the draft but there's no way he's allowed to hire another coach, so his days as GM are numbered.

I'm not sure if he remains with the team in a scouting capacity, or as a special adviser or something else. He is a hockey guy, so maybe he should move up to President -- personally I think it was a bit of a mistake to put Leeder in as President; he is an accountant and was fine as the COO, but do you really trust him to go our an hire a new GM?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:I voted for nothing happening. At least I hope that's what happens. Staying the course will hopefully lead us to a top 5 pick.

Kovalev comes off the books next season, as does Leclaire and Phillips (should we decide to not keep him). There are some assets that could be moved at the deadline, like Kuba (hopefully he's playing better by then). Plus, Fisher's NTC becomes limited as of next year, so he will only control a portion of his fate.

Firing the coach doesn't help this situation. We don't have the talent to make any noise in the playoffs, if we even made it that far. Besides, I think this fiasco (SSF Wink ) is more on the players than it is on Clouston. Clouston isn't blameless here, but I feel this is more a case of the players just not caring/playing up to potential than it is coaching.

I say we ride out the season, and once it's over, bring in a new regime, from Murray right down to the coaching staff.

You do realize that you just described the classic "Gotta change the coach" situation.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Maybe the team needs a retreat... with a festivus pole... so they can air their grievances... get it all out now...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The problem with Murray stepping in as coach is that he'll have even less time to "be the GM" and work on trades. This is something he mentioned a while back... and this is going to be a time where we need him to be working the phones and lining up deals.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:The problem with Murray stepping in as coach is that he'll have even less time to "be the GM" and work on trades. This is something he mentioned a while back... and this is going to be a time where we need him to be working the phones and lining up deals.

If he was trying to make trades to improve the team (roster players) then I'd agree. It's a lot easier to make a trade for picks, because the hard part of those trades happens in June/July when you're scouting and drafting.

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:I voted for nothing happening. At least I hope that's what happens. Staying the course will hopefully lead us to a top 5 pick.

You do realize that you just described the classic "Gotta change the coach" situation.

We've done that. Paddock, Hartsburg, Clouston. At some point it's got to be the players.

wprager wrote:Here's what I think will happen. Clouston and Carvel are shown the door, with Murray taking over in an interim role. Perhaps another assistant coach or two (or three -- we have so freakin' many) resigns. At the end of the day, Murray is GM/coach and there are far fewer cooks in the kitchen. With any luck, more injuries offset the improvements in coaching and the team fights it out for the bottom 4-5 position with the Leafs, Sabres and Panthers. Murray stays on for the draft but there's no way he's allowed to hire another coach, so his days as GM are numbered.

I'm not sure if he remains with the team in a scouting capacity, or as a special adviser or something else. He is a hockey guy, so maybe he should move up to President -- personally I think it was a bit of a mistake to put Leeder in as President; he is an accountant and was fine as the COO, but do you really trust him to go our an hire a new GM?

Carvel shown the door? Unlikely if Murray is still in charge. He survived 3 different coaches, and two Murray tenures as head coach. This guy cleary has some dirt on Murray.

I don't know about Murray as President. They can't just ditch Leeder who's been with the organization in some capacity, since it's inception in 92. Pretty hard to dump a guy like that. If Murray stayed on as the head of the scouting department, I'd be fine with that certainly.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:The problem with Murray stepping in as coach is that he'll have even less time to "be the GM" and work on trades. This is something he mentioned a while back... and this is going to be a time where we need him to be working the phones and lining up deals.

If he was trying to make trades to improve the team (roster players) then I'd agree. It's a lot easier to make a trade for picks, because the hard part of those trades happens in June/July when you're scouting and drafting.
It still requires focus and time to line up the teams to dance with as well as getting players to agree to waive any NTC/NMC's if necessary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wow, the game must of been really bad. it cut out the winter classic for me so i couldn't watch the rest. (the 1st was really bad by itself.)

i'm not one for firring murray but hire/fire 3 coaches and something has got to give.... either he keeps CC and rides this one till the end of this season or they're both gone.

you do all realize that we're a year removed from calling CC a jack adams nominee.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:Here's what I think will happen. Clouston and Carvel are shown the door, with Murray taking over in an interim role. Perhaps another assistant coach or two (or three -- we have so freakin' many) resigns. At the end of the day, Murray is GM/coach and there are far fewer cooks in the kitchen. With any luck, more injuries offset the improvements in coaching and the team fights it out for the bottom 4-5 position with the Leafs, Sabres and Panthers. Murray stays on for the draft but there's no way he's allowed to hire another coach, so his days as GM are numbered.

Carvel shown the door? Unlikely if Murray is still in charge. He survived 3 different coaches, and two Murray tenures as head coach. This guy cleary has some dirt on Murray.

I don't know about Murray as President. They can't just ditch Leeder who's been with the organization in some capacity, since it's inception in 92. Pretty hard to dump a guy like that. If Murray stayed on as the head of the scouting department, I'd be fine with that certainly.

I agree with the sentiment about Leeder, but do you let him hire the next GM? There is a hybrid answer -- bring on an advisor. Is Muckler still breathing?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

We've done that. Paddock, Hartsburg, Clouston. At some point it's got to be the players.

It's never the players unless the previous GM lined up their contract expiration dates. We've got 6 UFAs (which includes Phillips, Shannon and Brodeur -- two guys I want re-signed and another that is not a regular roster player) and 3 RFAs (including Smith, whom I want re-signed, and Elliott -- undecided at this point). So the most we could change is4-5 players from the regular roster: Kovalev, Leclaire, Ruutu, Campoli and possibly Elliott. After that you're looking at moving contracts: Gonchar, Kuba, Fisher, Neil, Michalek. Gonchar will be tough to move, so we are probably stuck with him; let's hope he gets better in his second season and is there to continue tutoring Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen. Kuba only has 1 year left, so he should be an easy move at the deadline. Fisher and Neil aren't grossly overpaid and could both use a change of scenery. Michalek's term is a killer -- I think we're stuck with him and, hopefully, next season he gets back to his old self; otherwise we traded Heatley for two Cheechoos.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

It's never the players unless the previous GM lined up their contract expiration dates. We've got 6 UFAs (which includes Phillips, Shannon and Brodeur -- two guys I want re-signed and another that is not a regular roster player) and 3 RFAs (including Smith, whom I want re-signed, and Elliott -- undecided at this point). So the most we could change is4-5 players from the regular roster: Kovalev, Leclaire, Ruutu, Campoli and possibly Elliott. After that you're looking at moving contracts: Gonchar, Kuba, Fisher, Neil, Michalek. Gonchar will be tough to move, so we are probably stuck with him; let's hope he gets better in his second season and is there to continue tutoring Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen. Kuba only has 1 year left, so he should be an easy move at the deadline. Fisher and Neil aren't grossly overpaid and could both use a change of scenery. Michalek's term is a killer -- I think we're stuck with him and, hopefully, next season he gets back to his old self; otherwise we traded Heatley for two Cheechoos.
that's pretty harsh. i think michalek isn't back 100%. i don't think impossible that next year we see a different player.
IMO gonchar will be better next year. it's hard to believe when i see him play this year but he's not playing the way he can.

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:

My point about Clouston was that most of these players have been through several coaches the last 2-3 years and nothing seems to have changed. I realize that moving several players is difficult, if not impossible, but I am thoroughly unconvinced that making a coaching chance will make a difference. The chemistry (at least how it appears) and make up of this team are just not conducive for winning in today's NHL.

I defintely agree on Michalek. Whether or not he's 100%, we are certainly not getting any value out of him whatsoever. If this is as good as he gets, that contract can't expire quick enough. Even though I was against the Gonchar signing (more the term than anything), I am not so sure anymore that having him around to mentor the kids is a good idea, not for what he's being paid and doing on the ice. That Patrick Dwyer goal against the Canes really made me sick to my stomach watching Gonchar not even attempt to look like an effort was being made.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

3 coaching changes in like 2 years.... Bryan Murray's decision.

Trading Heatley for a poor package..... Bryan Murray.

Signing players to lengthy, high priced deals.... Bryan Murray.

Trading draft picks from a team that lacks depth..... Bryan Murray.

Buying out 2 players..... Bryan Murray.

The only thing I will give credit for, is perhaps setting up the teams defence for years to come. I am excited to see what Rundblad, Cowen and Karlsson do for the franchise.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Maybe the team needs a retreat... with a festivus pole... so they can air their grievances... get it all out now...

Mighty Mikey wins the feats of strength. He's so big, strong and handsome. I love you

Dash wrote:3 coaching changes in like 2 years.... Bryan Murray's decision.

Trading Heatley for a poor package..... Bryan Murray.

Signing players to lengthy, high priced deals.... Bryan Murray.

Trading draft picks from a team that lacks depth..... Bryan Murray.

Buying out 2 players..... Bryan Murray.

The only thing I will give credit for, is perhaps setting up the teams defence for years to come. I am excited to see what Rundblad, Cowen and Karlsson do for the franchise.

Spell it out man! We aren't mind readers. Why are you trying to say here? Laughing3

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum