GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET)

+18
Amnesia021
CockRoche
rooneypoo
beerandsens
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
PKC
Ev
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Hoags
SensGirl11
PTFlea
SensHulk
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Phoenix @ Ottawa October 26, 2010

GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_lcap250%GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 2 ]
GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_lcap250%GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 50% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Classic Kovalev, now he's tied for 4th on the team in scoring (along with Fisher, Karlsson). I've always liked him, but I have never expected him to be a consistent contributor. His reputation as an inconsistent, streaky, and talented player preceded him. So please, for the sake of your own sanity, don't expect it to change now.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm very pleased, but there's still things to clean up.

The Positives:

-Obviously Kovalev. He commanded the walls, he made plays, he made the Yotes' D work hard

-Brian Elliott kept the Sens in the game in the 2nd and early 3rd - big time

-Alfredsson had a tap in from the amazing Kovalev pass, but he worked hard for those two points

-Regin was great, from being right in front of Bryzgalov for the 2nd Kovalev goal to working the boards, to making nice passes

-Foligno - definitely SG11 got pissed at him for missing another open net last night, but he's part of that trio (Regin, Kovalev) that work hard and have the skill to back it up

-Hale - who is this guy? He didn't play like this in the pre-season - keep on keeping on

-Karlsson - snipe and he seems to be getting more comfortable

-Gonchar - ditto, getting there for sure

The Negatives:

-good Lord, Kovalev basically wins the game for us on his own, but man, did he ever try to give it back to the Yotes. 2 of the most astounding giveaways, right in the slot - should have resulted in goals. He owes Elliott a dinner

-Phillips - we're starting to slowly see the real Phillips, but last night he struggled for extended periods of times.

-Too many PKs. Enough with the 8 penalties a game. Against a better oppoenent, we lose last night (not that the Yotes are bad, but they're struggling).

-Michalek - come on man! You can do this, we need you to contribute nightly.

The Michalek comment is bang on. For the first half of last season, you noticed that guy every night -- largely because he had a near breakaway or 3 every game, and was constantly rushing the net. We're not seeing enough of that lately. I hope those injuries haven't slowed him down and/or made him overly tentative.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Interesting to hear the "media" downplaying Kovalev's performance from last night. John "The Man of the Fecal" Rodenberg says that the apocalypse is upon us. Lee "Small Time" Versage thinks that the 1st goal was a bad goal and noted Kovalevs 5 giveaways.

They make me sick. Laugh1

Reminiscent of some of the Dung that I've read here.

Most def.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't think it's an accident that Karlsson is looking a LOT better since being paired with Hale.

On the other hand, I think the team is dead set against losing Lee for nothing.

Agreed. Interesting comment too SSF, I think they actually are loathe to waive Lee and have him picked up for nothing.

I honestly don't know if any team in the league would pick him up right now. And I feel much more comfortable with Hale as our 7th.

Still, pairing Lee with Karlsson, on his off wing -- we keep setting this guy up to fail. I hate his butter-soft ways and won't miss him when he's gone, but we haven't done much as an organization since, oh, 2008, to help him along, either.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm very pleased, but there's still things to clean up.

The Positives:

-Obviously Kovalev. He commanded the walls, he made plays, he made the Yotes' D work hard

-Brian Elliott kept the Sens in the game in the 2nd and early 3rd - big time

-Alfredsson had a tap in from the amazing Kovalev pass, but he worked hard for those two points

-Regin was great, from being right in front of Bryzgalov for the 2nd Kovalev goal to working the boards, to making nice passes

-Foligno - definitely SG11 got pissed at him for missing another open net last night, but he's part of that trio (Regin, Kovalev) that work hard and have the skill to back it up

-Hale - who is this guy? He didn't play like this in the pre-season - keep on keeping on

-Karlsson - snipe and he seems to be getting more comfortable

-Gonchar - ditto, getting there for sure

The Negatives:

-good Lord, Kovalev basically wins the game for us on his own, but man, did he ever try to give it back to the Yotes. 2 of the most astounding giveaways, right in the slot - should have resulted in goals. He owes Elliott a dinner

-Phillips - we're starting to slowly see the real Phillips, but last night he struggled for extended periods of times.

-Too many PKs. Enough with the 8 penalties a game. Against a better oppoenent, we lose last night (not that the Yotes are bad, but they're struggling).

-Michalek - come on man! You can do this, we need you to contribute nightly.

The Michalek comment is bang on. For the first half of last season, you noticed that guy every night -- largely because he had a near breakaway or 3 every game, and was constantly rushing the net. We're not seeing enough of that lately. I hope those injuries haven't slowed him down and/or made him overly tentative.

He hasn't been nearly as effective at creating something from the neutral zone. His goals seem to come off of room he makes for himself closer to the goal now, but he used to accept a pass in the neutral zone with speed, creating a new path to the net. I think you're right with the injury contributing to Michalek losing a step and/or being timid. I don't mind him playing smarter to preserve his health and play through all the bargain years left on his contract, but great hockey players find other ways to contribute and I hope he develops that side of his game this season.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:psshhh.....'bout time kovalev laid a whoopin' Dancing

sucks that I missed it! Facepalm

You know what this means right? You aren't allowed to watch the next game either AND you need to do up a GDT. Wink

- Unknown Author

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If Jared Staal can fetch a 5th round pick only a year after being drafted in the 2nd round, can Lee get a 5th rnd pick in return?

I am not asking because I really want Lee gone, but just curious to see how much (or little) he is worth to you guys vs. being on the team.

From the lack of waivers/trade, I suspect Murray hasn't completely given up.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

A 3rd rounder or an equally 'project' forward? Someone like a Schremp for example. Skille? Someone like that?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I don't think it's an accident that Karlsson is looking a LOT better since being paired with Hale.

On the other hand, I think the team is dead set against losing Lee for nothing.

Agreed. Interesting comment too SSF, I think they actually are loathe to waive Lee and have him picked up for nothing.

I honestly don't know if any team in the league would pick him up right now. And I feel much more comfortable with Hale as our 7th.

Still, pairing Lee with Karlsson, on his off wing -- we keep setting this guy up to fail. I hate his butter-soft ways and won't miss him when he's gone, but we haven't done much as an organization since, oh, 2008, to help him along, either.

I completely agree with you on this. Lee has never really been given a chance to succeed here, we don't really know what kind of defenceman he is because he has not been given a chance to show us what he can do on a consistent basis. Having your partner changed every game that you play, and getting different kind of minutes every game you play and being put in a whole bunch of different situations does not help a player develop at all, especially one that wasn't really expected to be a star à la Karlsson. He really hasn't been given a fair shake here. I don't like him, I'll admit, but it's not really fair to be like that with him either. He needs to be on a team that can slot him in their bottom 2 and leave him there. If he keeps being sent up and down and benched etc...it's not going to do him much good.

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:-Karlsson - snipe and he seems to be getting more comfortable

He's definitely getting more comfortable. I've noticed him on 3-4 occasions over the last few games where he gets the puck deep in our zone, during periods of major pressure by the opponent, dekes around 2-3 guys, and boom, the forecheck is just totally dismantled. Cojones of steel, but it just makes my heart skip a beat or two.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I assume we've already abandoned the three star idea but here are mine anyway.

1st Star - Alex Kovalev
2nd Star - Brian Elliott
3rd Star - Eric Karlsson

Forgot hardest working Senator - In this case it goes to Michallica for putting together a shabberific GDT that not only looked good and was thorough but it had that magic winning touch. HappyDance1

Laugh1 Thanks guys. Sorry been MIA but I appreciate the kudos! However, when shabbs does gtds, it ensure not only a sens victory, but a leafs loss. I tried to be as shabberific as possible but I failed Facepalm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

btw, as much as I want to, I won't be able to make a GDT tomorrow. I'm away all day at a conference.

Time for someone else to step up!

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
marakh wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Very pleased. GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 805406

That wasn't all pretty though. THat 2nd period was bad, and there are still some defensive breakdowns, trying to be too fancy at times then getting tired in the defensive zone, taking some penalties. I saw Philips make 2 horrific plays.
At least he's playing around 21 min now, and Gonchar is back down to 23. At least Hale can play bottom 2 D.
Karlsson is getting better but his poise is not back yet, still forcing some plays on the PP.

OVerall, the transition was pretty good.

Think about your damned glass half empty. They just won the game 5-2 and you're complaining that they didn't play a perfect game? Honestly.

So what?
Sorry if I have more objectivity than you do.
Maybe you should lilsten to the coach, because he agrees with me.

There are two teams on the ice. Phoenix brought it rather than wilt after a very bad first period and Ottawa wasn't ready for it. Keep in mind they have two rookies and a softmore on D and are still missing Kuba. They're also missing Spezza and still performed superbly on the PP. Sure there's things to work on but it's not as bad as you're suggesting.

So I just point out some things to work on and it looks like I think the team is bad. GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 489887

Here's the thing I don't get. When the team loses, people think they're pretty bad. When they win, people think they're awesome.
If that's the only thing we can discuss here, I can just go read HFBoards.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
marakh wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Very pleased. GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 805406

That wasn't all pretty though. THat 2nd period was bad, and there are still some defensive breakdowns, trying to be too fancy at times then getting tired in the defensive zone, taking some penalties. I saw Philips make 2 horrific plays.
At least he's playing around 21 min now, and Gonchar is back down to 23. At least Hale can play bottom 2 D.
Karlsson is getting better but his poise is not back yet, still forcing some plays on the PP.

Think about your damned glass half empty. They just won the game 5-2 and you're complaining that they didn't play a perfect game? Honestly.

So what?

There are two teams on the ice. Phoenix brought it rather than wilt after a very bad first period and Ottawa wasn't ready for it. Keep in mind they have two rookies and a softmore on D and are still missing Kuba. They're also missing Spezza and still performed superbly on the PP. Sure there's things to work on but it's not as bad as you're suggesting.

So I just point out some things to work on and it looks like I think the team is bad. GDT: Phoenix Coyotes vs Ottawa Senators - Tuesday Oct. 27, 2K10 @ 7:30 pm ET (SNET) - Page 9 489887

Here's the thing I don't get. When the team loses, people think they're pretty bad. When they win, people think they're awesome.

That's a pretty bold and blanket statement. I never said you can't discuss it nor did I say you thought the team was bad. I agreed there were things to work on.

All I said was it wasn't AS bad as you made it out to be.

Here's the funny thing. If the rolls had been reversed and Ottawa lost that game 5-2 and Ottawa brought it for half the game some people would be saying the "The Coyotes BENT but didn't BREAK. Now THAT's a sign of a good team".

Just insert any SENS opponent into that quote in place of Coyotes. It drives me crazy.

Is it NOT fair to say the SENS bent but didn't break? That the goalie gave them a chance to win. Absolutely they had some long stretches of bad play and that definitely needs work but, I don't think you're going to get a tonne more out of this group based on what I already pointed out in my previous post.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rome wasn't built in a day. We are not an elite team, so it's not a matter of flipping the mythical switch. There are some personnel issues (Lee for Kuba, Fisher playing 1st line center, slow start for a few players) and there are chemistry/system issues (lots of adjustments on the back end; Karlsson has had 4 playing partners, Phillips not yet adjusted playing with the Anti-Volchenkov). And, yes, there are performance issues (Karlsson and Kovalev have both played what looked like disinterested hockey, as have others). Most of those things are slowly coming around, but they are not going to all get solved in one game. Most of the indicators are heading in the right direction (PP, PK, scoring, goaltending) and that is a good sign. There will be set backs but, for now, let's celebrate the victory and try to make small adjustments in the next game.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
marakh wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:
marakh wrote:

So what?

We played a bad 2nd period + the first 10 minutes of the 3rd -- out shot, out worked, bad penalties, horrific turnovers -- no doubt about it. Elliott saved our collective asses big time. Can't imagine why anyone would disagree with that.

The good news, however, is that while the Sens haven't yet played a full 60 minute game, they've managed to pick up a few points along the way as they try to develop their systems. As long as we're getting better every game, we're good.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
That's a pretty bold and blanket statement. I never said you can't discuss it nor did I say you thought the team was bad. I agreed there were things to work on.

All I said was it wasn't AS bad as you made it out to be.

Here's the funny thing. If the rolls had been reversed and Ottawa lost that game 5-2 and Ottawa brought it for half the game some people would be saying the "The Coyotes BENT but didn't BREAK. Now THAT's a sign of a good team".

Just insert any SENS opponent into that quote in place of Coyotes. It drives me crazy.

Is it NOT fair to say the SENS bent but didn't break? That the goalie gave them a chance to win. Absolutely they had some long stretches of bad play and that definitely needs work but, I don't think you're going to get a tonne more out of this group based on what I already pointed out in my previous post.

Really blanket statement to say the least. I read that yesterday and wanted to say something, but didn't. No chance it's all wine and roses for me, I noted the warts of that game against Phoenix, but I also noted the positives. What more can we do?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum