GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Butler looking for opening on Sens roster

+7
beerandsens
PKC
Riprock
SensHulk
wprager
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Butler looking for opening on Sens roster Empty Butler looking for opening on Sens roster Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Former NCAA sniper looking for opening

Butler knows numbers not on his side as he prepares for Senators camp...and no, it's not the 29 goals in 39 NCAA games...

For any aspiring forward hoping to win a spot with the Ottawa Senators this fall, the numbers will be daunting The team will come to camp with 11 players already guaranteed a job: Daniel Alfredsson, Mike Fisher, Milan Michalek, Jason Spezza, Chris Kelly, Chris Neil, Alex Kovalev, Peter Regin, Nick Foligno, Jarkko Ruutu and Jesse Winchester. Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith are not quite in that group, but are the obvious front-runners for the 12th and 13th forward spots.

Where that leaves hopefuls such as former University of New Hampshire captain Bobby Butler will be a key question during training camp.

General manager Bryan Murray has his fingers crossed that Butler will be the latest in a successful string of college free-agent signings.

When Murray was with Anaheim, U.S. college hockey was a rich mine for him. He struck gold with Dustin Penner (Maine) and Chris Kunitz (Ferris State), who helped the Ducks beat the Senators in the 2007 Stanley Cup final.

Another member of that Anaheim team, Shannon, was signed as a free agent in 2005, after Murray had left to become coach of the Senators.

But Shannon was scouted at Boston College by then Anaheim director of player personnel and current Ottawa assistant general manager Tim Murray.

Byran Murray's first college signing with Ottawa, Winchester, was passable. He won't make anyone forget Dany Heatley, but he is a solid defensive player, OK on the third or fourth lines, and isn't a liability.

Butler, though, has the potential to be so much more.

The 6-0, 185-pound right-winger had a terrific senior season at New Hampshire. He had 53 points in 39 games, including a league-high 29 goals. He had 30 points the season before and 26 the year before that.

Last season, he was the Hockey East player of the year and a Hobey Baker Award (NCAA MVP) finalist.

If he turns out to be a solid third- or second-line player, it'll look good on Murray and scout Lewis Mongelluzzo, the team's NCAA recruiting co-ordinator. Mongelluzzo's specific assignment is to find and recruit free agent college players who can play in the NHL.

Butler arrived in Ottawa from his home in Marlborough, Massachusetts, about 11 days ago anxious to get going. He has been taking part in the daily pre-training camp workouts at the Bell Sensplex.

Where he ends up -- in Ottawa or Binghamton -- is not something he's worrying about. He's just hoping to give himself a good chance.

"Obviously, I'd love to be up with the big team, so I just have to go from there," he said on Friday.

"I've never been to an NHL training camp, so all I can do is take it one day at a time. Hopefully they give me a chance to show what I have." Butler got into two games (no points) for the Senators last season after signing a two-year contract.

He'll have his first test of this training camp when he plays in the four-team rookie tournament in London, Ont., next week (against the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Pittsburgh Penguins).

Butler's introduction to the NHL was what he expected: More than a few notches faster than the college game.

The task will be in matching that speed.

"It helped me realize what I had to do to stay in (the NHL)," he said. "Obviously, I want to work as hard as I can to stay there, because it's quite the experience. Everything is so great. Obviously, the (depth-chart) numbers are there, but I just have to work hard and hope I get a chance."

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Could this mean that Penner will be a Sen this season? Where there's smoke...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why does the guy writing the article think Winch is a lock to make the roster? There could also be a trade to move some 1-way contracts. Just make an impression.

I sincerely think we're going to make a trade. May not be the blowout that everyone is talking about but we have WAY too many guys signed to one-way deals and too many guys capable of making this team. Our D alone is already jam-packed, and our O is arguable even worse.

D: Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Kuba, Campoli, Carkner, with Lee, Cowen, Hale, and Gryba capable of making the team.

O: Alfie, Spezza, Michalek, Regin, Kovalev, Fisher, Kelly, Neil, Ruuttu, Foligno, Shannon, Winchester with Smith, Wick, Butler, Hoffman, and Locke all pushing to make the team.

It's great to have depth but you have to make use of your assets when given the opportunity.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The so-called "battle for jobs" is Dung. You got a one-way deal? You're in. End of story.

Just like the windbag experts who like to say that a team that's out of the playoffs or about the be eliminated are "playing for jobs". Get real. Butler looking for opening on Sens roster 270956

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:I sincerely think we're going to make a trade. May not be the blowout that everyone is talking about but we have WAY too many guys signed to one-way deals and too many guys capable of making this team. Our D alone is already jam-packed, and our O is arguable even worse.

D: Gonchar, Phillips, Karlsson, Kuba, Campoli, Carkner, with Lee, Cowen, Hale, and Gryba capable of making the team.

O: Alfie, Spezza, Michalek, Regin, Kovalev, Fisher, Kelly, Neil, Ruuttu, Foligno, Shannon, Winchester with Smith, Wick, Butler, Hoffman, and Locke all pushing to make the team.

It's great to have depth but you have to make use of your assets when given the opportunity.

True, but its easy to think that the assets are ready to jump in and play NHL hockey, but that won't be the case. It'l be a difficult transition and they need to develop a little more.

Eventually there will be a trade, but they don't have to make a trade at all. Enough two-way contracts to bury in the minors. After this season, presumably two spots open up on the offence with Ruutu and Kovalev (and shannon) coming off the books, leaving the door wide open for Wick and Butler and/or Hoffman to cash in if they're up to the task. I personally prefer this way so the young guys get some seasoned experience in the AHL, learn to play a tough schedule, and get ready for the influx in 2011. On defense, Cowen will most likely be back in Juniors and Gryba and Hale in the AHL, so again they don't have to make a move at all. Its seems to be a foregone conclusion that Campoli is keeping the seat warm for Cowen, but I'm willing to bet that all one or two of Kuba, Carkner, and Campoli may be playing their last season as senators. My guess is that its Kuba. Of course, Phillips is going to be a UFA, but I'm 100% sure he'll be resigned.....99.9% sure.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:The so-called "battle for jobs" is Dung. You got a one-way deal? You're in. End of story.

Just like the windbag experts who like to say that a team that's out of the playoffs or about the be eliminated are "playing for jobs". Get real. Butler looking for opening on Sens roster 270956

I'll agree most of the times the one-way deal will trump everything, but it didn't help Schubert's cause last year at training camp.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The so-called "battle for jobs" is Dung. You got a one-way deal? You're in. End of story.

I'll agree most of the times the one-way deal will trump everything, but it didn't help Schubert's cause last year at training camp.

Sure, if you're making no money on a one-year deal, that's one thing. But a guy like Winchester on a 2-year deal is pretty much a lock.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

yeah I agree that winchester is a lock. plus if someone else does make the team, I think the sens just waive Shannon

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:yeah I agree that winchester is a lock. plus if someone else does make the team, I think the sens just waive Shannon

Maybe. Then it gets dicey because a guy like Butler would actually be a bigger cap hit than Shannon. The bottom line is, I don't think that just because you're better it means you get a job. It sucks but that's life.

Michallica wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:I sincerely think we're going to make a trade. May not be the blowout that everyone is talking about but we have WAY too many guys signed to one-way deals and too many guys capable of making this team. Our D alone is already jam-packed, and our O is arguable even worse.

True, but its easy to think that the assets are ready to jump in and play NHL hockey, but that won't be the case. It'l be a difficult transition and they need to develop a little more.

Eventually there will be a trade, but they don't have to make a trade at all. Enough two-way contracts to bury in the minors. After this season, presumably two spots open up on the offence with Ruutu and Kovalev (and shannon) coming off the books, leaving the door wide open for Wick and Butler and/or Hoffman to cash in if they're up to the task. I personally prefer this way so the young guys get some seasoned experience in the AHL, learn to play a tough schedule, and get ready for the influx in 2011. On defense, Cowen will most likely be back in Juniors and Gryba and Hale in the AHL, so again they don't have to make a move at all. Its seems to be a foregone conclusion that Campoli is keeping the seat warm for Cowen, but I'm willing to bet that all one or two of Kuba, Carkner, and Campoli may be playing their last season as senators. My guess is that its Kuba. Of course, Phillips is going to be a UFA, but I'm 100% sure he'll be resigned.....99.9% sure.

Then what do we do with all that cap space? I doubt Leclaire sticks around next year too and if he does, it won't be for nearly as much money as he's making now.That's close to $10 million in cap

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You can always keep that space for when you need it, like say when Karlsson needs a raise.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Then what do we do with all that cap space? I doubt Leclaire sticks around next year too and if he does, it won't be for nearly as much money as he's making now.That's close to $10 million in cap

We enter the realm of next year's free agent bonanza.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did somebody say BONANZA ?!??!?

Butler looking for opening on Sens roster 235689

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:

I was thinking about this last night.

The flowchart of openings in our roster are pretty simple:

Kovalev leaves - opens $5 million dollars. We use that $5 million to get a 40 goal guy, either by trade or UFA. A real sniper, I thought Kovalev would be that guy, but he isn't. An example of this would be a Gionta or a Cammelleri style UFA signing - solid, smart and a nice sniper.

Leclaire leaves - opens ~4 million dollars. We use that to get another goalie - simple as that. Or we take that money, pay a backup 1 million and save the rest.

The year after that, Kuba leaves (if we don't trade him) and his money is instantly used to re-sign Karlsson/Regin etc.

Done, done and done. In essence, Murray hurt himself by piling 10 million into Leclaire and Kovalev, but it's like the money's in trust so he can really scout who he wants to purchase next summer.

IMO, next summer's purchases will make the Sens a champ immediately, or set them back a year, but the importance is supreme IMO. If I had a guess, I would say Brad Boyes (via trade), Alex Semin or Gagne, for goalies, there are always good deals. I see Bryzgalov has yet to sign....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum