GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Koivu Extension (7 years, 47.25) in Minnesota

+12
asq2
Ev
stempniaksen
M_Christopher
rooneypoo
Tuk Tuk
SensHulk
Flo The Action
Riprock
dennycrane
PTFlea
Amnesia021
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

Mikko Koivu signed to a 7 year contract extension for 47.25 mil.... Shrug

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy Dung, are you serious?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That is a whole lotta cash. Jackpot.

I like Koivu as a player - a lot - but that is a ludicrous amount of money. I thought 5-5.5 max.

Again, great player, but so much $$.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

I thought the same thing, way too much money... He does produce, but I don't think I would've gone that far, maybe the high 5's if he's a big fan draw, but 6.75 per... eek..

So consecutive season around the 70 point mark gets you almost 7M now, wow, hope it works out for Minny.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Amnesia021 wrote:I thought the same thing, way too much money... He does produce, but I don't think I would've gone that far, maybe the high 5's if he's a big fan draw, but 6.75 per... eek..

Yeah, he's a fantastic 2-way player, I really like him a lot, but I thought 5.5 MAX, I was shocked to see that figure. I still am.

At least it's not Wade Redden though, you know this guy will show up and be excellent, but it's still a hefty price tag.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I don't know if the contract has a NMC, but it might as well have one, as I don't think they could ever unload this guy at that price. I get overpaying to get a guy you want, but that is a ridiculous overpayment. What has he won?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I think it is a good deal (obviously for him lol), but Minnesota too. He's their Captain, he's a really good player, a player you would love to have, and really, $6.75 is not a whole lot to be worried about. Less than Spezza, and I think a lot of people would argue he is a better player than Spezza. And it's not like Minnesota can't afford to reward it's best player.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:I think it is a good deal (obviously for him lol), but Minnesota too. He's their Captain, he's a really good player, a player you would love to have, and really, $6.75 is not a whole lot to be worried about. Less than Spezza, and I think a lot of people would argue he is a better player than Spezza. And it's not like Minnesota can't afford to reward it's best player.

yes, and really they have to show they reward players that show loyalty. minni isn't far off from being a place shun by FA. by no means are they Atlant-ish but they aren't a hot spot. this will go a long way for them. + who doesn't like miko?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

huh? I thought long term contracts are supposed to be cap-friendly? Back to 2007 we go

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

I'd take him over guys like Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Briere, Drury, Gomez, etc

not a bad contract at all. Give him some support, and he's a 90 point player.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

A bit of an overpay, but a market like MIN has to do this.

Still, Koivu is a rock solid 2-way player and a guy who will put up a PPG or better when given any talent at all on his wings.

It's too much money, but MIN is a kind of franchise that has to do this. They literally don't have anyone close to a star up front after Koivu. And no, 1/3rd of the hockey player formerly known as Havlat doesn't count.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

rooneypoo wrote:A bit of an overpay, but a market like MIN has to do this.

Still, Koivu is a rock solid 2-way player and a guy who will put up a PPG or better when given any talent at all on his wings.

It's too much money, but MIN is a kind of franchise that has to do this. They literally don't have anyone close to a star up front after Koivu. And no, 1/3rd of the hockey player formerly known as Havlat doesn't count.

Yeah even for a steady reliable guy like Koivu, thats a rough caphit to deal with - what is it roughly 6.75 a season for a guy that is a 2nd line center on most teams?

I personally like him but when Savard, Carter and guys like that make 4-5 a season, this is just rough.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

He is to that franchise what alfie is to the Sens. They payed what they had to to keep him in the fold. It would have been devastating had they lost him via UFA so it's a deal they needed to make regardless of the number.

So when looking at it that way it was a good deal by the Wild.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

stempniaksen wrote:He is to that franchise what alfie is to the Sens. They payed what they had to to keep him in the fold. It would have been devastating had they lost him via UFA so it's a deal they needed to make regardless of the number.

So when looking at it that way it was a good deal by the Wild.

It's just so hard to get behind that contract knowing superstars and stars like Toews, Kane, Parise (for now), St.Louis, Doan, Getzlaf, Perry, etc.. make less and are better players, but your right, you have to do what you can to keep your top players in the mix.

If only they hadn't screwed up Gillies, Sheppard and Cutterbuck's development, they could have saved some money here.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum