GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Leafs Off-Season discussion

+5
Flo The Action
Hoags
SDH89
SensHulk
Riprock
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 pm

I think the Leafs land their major UFA next season.

They have approx $26 million locked up on their D (including Finger who may be bought out (what a stupid signing)) and Giguere at $6 million (who is a UFA next summer). That's $32 million for their defense and goalie. Add in Kessell at $5.4 million at you're at approximately $37.5 million for 8 players. I know the Leafs have a lot of younger guys expected to make the team next year, but adding a Marleau-sized contract (let's say it's $6 million times 5 years) handicaps them a lot moving forward when their younger guys are all due for raises. I think they'd try to surround Kessell with more than one guy this year and sign a big name the year after when Giguere is off the books (Thornton, Semin, B. Richards, etc).

There really isn't much available outside of a trade this year, but the Leafs don't have much left in terms of picks and likely won't give up their prospects for roster players again (see Rask, Boyes, etc). I guess Kaberle is the key for the Leafs getting a legit top-six forward but he is the biggest piece of their blueline. Would a blueline of Schenn (over-rated), Komisarek (over-rated), Phaneuf, Finger (uch) and Beauchemin (old) really scare that many people? Maybe physically but definitely not offensively.

Marleau will likely go to LA or Anaheim to stay in California.

17Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Burke would want him for less than $6.25M.

18Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Dash wrote:Burke would want him for less than $6.25M.

If he had the choice it will likely be LA. They have the cap space and he'll take them to the next level

19Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:39 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

I hope for LA's sake they take on Marleau instead of Kovalchuk.

I really think adding Marleau to a somewhat cheap 'lifetime' contract would be so beneficial to that team.

20Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Burke loves to make splashes, he might have another one up his sleeve. Kaberle is likely gone, and we know he loves Bobby Ryan, he might be bale to pull another Kessel out of there.

Or maybe Pavelski?

21Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Dash wrote:Burke loves to make splashes, he might have another one up his sleeve. Kaberle is likely gone, and we know he loves Bobby Ryan, he might be bale to pull another Kessel out of there.

Or maybe Pavelski?

You think Pavelski? I think SJ is quickly learning that they're not going to win with Thornton and they're chances of winning are better with Pavelski, Clowe, and Seto (Pavelski and Seto are RFAs this summer).

Maybe that's the move Burke makes this off-season. Acquire Thornton for Kaberle plus? With Blake gone SJ isn't too solid at the point position. They're next best d-man after Boyle is Vlasic then...Huskins? Murray?

SJ could realistically assure themselves a good blueline for a while longer, sign a Turco or Mason etc instead of Nabokov, keep Marleau (life contract with an LTC) and go after Kovalchuk (reunite him with Heatley)

Thornton and Kessell are probably enough to get the Leafs into the playoffs this coming year. Plus, Joe is a UFA after next season so now would be the ideal time to move him if they want a good return.

22Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I think Pavelski because he has played his way to a huge raise. It's not outrageous to think he could easily get $5M. How does SJ keep him and Gooch while they still have Joe, Heatley and Boyle? Three $6M+ guys (two $7M+)... it's a little bit of a stretch to think they can just trade Thornton, as someone has to be willing to take him, and also the odds are equal money is going back.

23Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Dash wrote:I think Pavelski because he has played his way to a huge raise. It's not outrageous to think he could easily get $5M. How does SJ keep him and Gooch while they still have Joe, Heatley and Boyle? Three $6M+ guys (two $7M+)... it's a little bit of a stretch to think they can just trade Thornton, as someone has to be willing to take him, and also the odds are equal money is going back.

I figured Burke loves these types of deals and the Leafs could absorb his salary. I mean, they need a top-three forward (ideally a center), Thornton is from the area, and realistically it's $7.2 mill in and $4.25 mill out for Toronto (a difference of only $3 million). Toronto's offense would be vastly improved and it's a deal that makes sense on both sides. SJ has guys like McGInn, Couture, etc that can fill out their third line, and can re-sign guys like Ortmeyer, Malhotra, etc for relatively cheap to round out their lineup. Throw in a winger (Stalberg) in the deal and they have three pretty well-rounded lines. I believe they could get Turco or Mason for $4-4.5 million or a guy like Ellis (or Leighton) for even cheaper. I also think if they re-sign Marleau to a front-loaded life contract (similar to Hossa) it's a possibility. Pavelski and Seto will likely get between $3.5-4.5 each depending on the term.

It's likely not going to happen, but Burke will not give up Kaberle without a fight and like I said, it makes sense on both sides.

24Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Dash wrote:I think Pavelski because he has played his way to a huge raise. It's not outrageous to think he could easily get $5M. How does SJ keep him and Gooch while they still have Joe, Heatley and Boyle? Three $6M+ guys (two $7M+)... it's a little bit of a stretch to think they can just trade Thornton, as someone has to be willing to take him, and also the odds are equal money is going back.

Pavelski was making $1.6 million last season. A $3.4 million raise is way too much. If that's the case, hope someone signs him to an offer sheet so you can get some picks, cap space, and replenish the farm

25Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

The Leafs decided not to qualify Mitchell.

Mitchell made $500,000 US last season, but the Leafs’ qualifying figure would be higher than that and provide Mitchell with salary arbitration rights the team isn’t comfortable giving him based on recent performance. Mitchell was one of the hardest workers right from the informal summer workouts as he sought to impress Burke and coach Ron Wilson, both unfamiliar with the fourth-round draft choice from 2003.

Mitchell ended 2009-10 with 23 points in 60 games, less output than his rookie year, but in fewer games because of injury.

Qualifying offers were extended to forwards Nikolai Kulemin and Christian Hanson. Among the AHL Marlies not qualified were 2005 third-round pick defenceman Phil Oreskovic and defenceman Matt Jones, who was acquired from Phoenix in the Lee Stempniak trade, but is considering retirement after a concussion with his previous team.

26Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

That's some shady Dung right there. The kid worked his Donkey off to impress and this is what happens? What happens in this case? If someone were to give him an offer sheet would they have to give the leafs a pick? Or since they walked away is he a UFA?

27Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

How much would he even get I wonder? 1? 1.5?

28Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:26 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:That's some shady Dung right there. The kid worked his Donkey off to impress and this is what happens? What happens in this case? If someone were to give him an offer sheet would they have to give the leafs a pick? Or since they walked away is he a UFA?

if he's not qualified, he's a UFA then.

29Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensGirl11 wrote:How much would he even get I wonder? 1? 1.5?

Jurke will sign him for about 175,000. He's a Genius.

30Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:That's some shady Dung right there. The kid worked his Donkey off to impress and this is what happens? What happens in this case? If someone were to give him an offer sheet would they have to give the leafs a pick? Or since they walked away is he a UFA?

UFA. If we didn't have 80 bottom 6 guys, I'd say go for it. Sounds like a great, hard-working guy, that can apparently put up SOME points.

31Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

700K tops IMO.

32Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

700K tops IMO.

Then why won't he qualify him? That's not very much money for a hard working guy like that that has some good offensive skill in him. Not great, but worth the 700K, IMO. I don't really understand this...are they that close to the cap?

33Leafs Off-Season discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Leafs Off-Season discussion Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Because they have ALL bottom 6 players and don't really need Mitchell. He should probably thank them for letting him out of that craphole.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum